What convertible(s) takes up the least space front to back?

tracee877

I have been thinking about turning DS2 back RF. The problem is that he needs to go driver's side outboard since the older kids have to get out of the passenger side at school drop-off. He can't go in the middle (no one can sit next to him) and he can't go in the 3rd row (DD sits there and the other side's buckle is broken and there is no LATCH). I can't seem to find a seat that fits RF behind the driver with the seat all the way back (DH has to have the seat all the way back when he drives). DS2 is 2y7m, weighs 29lbs and is 36" tall with an average torso (he is just below the 2nd to top slots on the Radian and even with the 2nd from bottom slots on the Nautilus). Any suggestions? I am comfortable with him FF but I know that RF is safer. He is definitely going back RF passenger outboard when school gets out. :thumbsup:

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
He's probably too tall for the Coccoro. The newer Britax seats take up little room from front-to-back. The Complete Air and the My Ride can be installed very upright, and they have taller shells than the new Britax seats.

tracee877

Definitely too tall for the CCO. I'm not sure how much room, if any, he would have left in the new Britax seats. I had a MA70 back in August but I sold it. The My Ride is out because it is too wide at the top and hits the side of my car and I can't get a good install. I also had a CALX but I can't recall how it installed, I never had it behind the driver.

ETA: The Avenue is similar in shell to the CA right? If so, this is how I was able to install the Avenue behind the driver but I think it's too upright. My phone said it was 21 degrees, not sure if that was right or not.

051_1303250870.jpg

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Maybe try the Evenflo convertibles? The Evenflo Triumph 65 and the Momentum. I think the old Evenflo Triumph Advance could get as upright as the old Britax convertibles, and I think the EFT65 is just the EFTA with new limits.

tracee877

Oh I forgot about the Evenflos! I had a Symphony once and I know I installed it with the passenger seat all the way back. I think the Symphony is out though since it has wonky RF rules. But I will def. try the EFTA65 and Momentum. Thanks!

laudymama

In my personal experience, the new Britax seats take up very little space front to back and can be installed pretty upright. Based on his stats he would still have a fair amount of growing left also. The Recaro ProRide took up very little room when I tried it in my Pilot also but it has the least amount of leg room. I don't have any experience with the Evenflo seats but they do LOOK like they wouldn't take up alot of front to back space:) I keep meaning to take one out to my car to play when I'm at BRU but haven't had time the last couple times there!

msg221

I have a Britax MA 70 and it defintely leaves plenty of room front to back and it does install very upright.

jjordan

He has about the same stats as my ds, who has several inches left in his (original) boulevard, and thus several inches left in the new Britax seats. (Despite the shells being shorter in the new seats, my dd had the exact same amount of head space in the old and new convertibles.) If front-back space is a big concern, then a new Britax is probably a good bet.

tracee877

Ok I tried him in a MA70 today. I can't tell how much room he has. Are the MA70 and RA55 shells the same? I would probably just get a RA55.

Also tried him in the EFTA65 and he has TONS of room BUT I hate that huge buckle! It digs into him and you can see he is not happy about it. Is the EFTA65 shell the same as the EFTA50? If I could find and older one with the old square buckle I would probably just go with that.

005_1303316252.jpg
006_1303316254.jpg

008_1303316258.jpg
007_1303316256.jpg

tracee877

Ok, which one of these looks like it takes up the least space?

1. MA70
2. EFTA50 (diff vehicle, just getting an idea of how it looks RF)
3. True Fit
4. MA65

007_1283535356.jpg
024_1268945316.jpg

001_1251226382.jpg
009_1283535358.jpg

laudymama

Here's my opinion, in order, of looking like it takes least space:

1-EFTA65
2-MA70
3-True Fit
4-MA65

Although it is kind of hard to tell on a couple w/ shadows and angle of pic!

jjordan

I think the only way to really compare front-back space is to try all the seats in your car.

That said, to me it looks like the MA70 is barely sticking out past the end of the seat it's on, and the others extend more past the seat. (Of course if the seats are different depths than that is no help...) I can tell you that in my car, the MA70 takes up about 3-4" less front-back space than the original MA.

tracee877

I think the only way to really compare front-back space is to try all the seats in your car.

That said, to me it looks like the MA70 is barely sticking out past the end of the seat it's on, and the others extend more past the seat. (Of course if the seats are different depths than that is no help...) I can tell you that in my car, the MA70 takes up about 3-4" less front-back space than the original MA.

Well that's not a straight on shot of the MA70 so the view is kind of skewed. I'm thinking that a RA55 is my best bet here. I just wish I could remember if that driver's seat was all the way back in that MA70 pic.:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC