Flying alone with 3yo and infant, car seats?

kalamos23

Dh is going on a hunting trip, so I am taking the kids to FL to spend some time with my family and go to the beach. We live in oregon, so it is at least 7+ hours of flights.

Dd will be 3.25 yo and ds will be around 5mo depending on when he arrives. We currently have a Radian XT and a SS1, and I bought a ticket for the baby as well. My question is, how do you fly with 2 young kids and car seats?

I was thinking of bringing the radian on the plane, leaving the ss1 at home and buying a scenara once we get there for ds, since I'm fairly certain that dd won't fit in a scenara. We can leave the scenara at my parents house as we go back at least once a year. Dd can ff in the radian bc she will probably be over the weight limit for rfing by that point.

That would mean that dd would not have a car seat on the plane though, so would you guys feel comfortable with a 3yo in a lap belt on the plane? I'd put ds in the radian on the plane.

Also, any tips for getting through the airport alive? I was thinking luggage cart with the radian strapped to it and dd in the radian and then baby wear ds.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

aeormsby

I would take seats for both of them. I'm pretty sure the Radian doesn't fit RF on the plane, especially not comfortably enough for an infant. I flew with both kids alone for the first time when they were about 3.5 & 1.5. We had gotten a Safeguard Go for DD to use so it was smaller and easier to haul through the airport than a 2nd full size carseat. It might work (try at home to make sure the Radian isn't too heavy) but I would get a Scenera for the baby before you leave (or an Avenue if you can still get them). Then strap the baby's seat into an umbrella stroller and have your 3yo ride in that through the airport. Hang the Radian on the back of the stroller, carry the baby in a front carrier and put bare necessities for during the trip in a backpack or diaper bag that you can carry with the baby.

100_5555.JPG

This is our Uptown in a cheap Chicco stroller, I was able to hang the Safeguard Go on the back of the stroller while I was carrying DS in the Ergo and had a large diaper bag slung over my shoulder.

Or if your 3yo can walk through the airport without running, just stack the Radian on top of the carseat/stroller and hang a diaper bag on the back and carry the baby.

You can do it! The most important thing is check as much as possible so there's less to juggle with all the carseats as you get on the plane!

ETA - forgot about getting on the plane, that's the trickiest part because you need to drop the stroller before you get on. I just very awkwardly carry everything and try not to clunk too many people on the head ;)

tarabelle

Me? I'd bring both. I'd leave the 5m old in the infant bucket in a stroller and the 3yo on the luggage cart in the radian...........

I woudln't be comfy with a 3yo in a lap only belt. Can you get a CARES harness if you don't want to bring the SS1?

TiaxMarie

I flew from Hawaii to Maine with my 3 year old and 3 month old just before Christmas last year.

It was tough, but I did it, alone.

For carseats, I had the baby in the Keyfit, and my three year old FF in a Scenera. The Scenera is so easy to travel with because it's lightweight. I had a double stroller, piled our carry ons and Keyfit into one side, put my 3 year old on the other side, wore the baby on my back, and attached the Scenera to the stroller using the tether strap.

I've traveled with our Radian before, and while it's convenient that it folds, it is HEAVY. And, the airport security took extra time with it because of the steel reinforced frame. It ended up being more of a hassle than anything.

I'm personally not comfortable with a 3 year old using just the lapbelt on an airplane. My 3 year old would never ever sit in the seat the whole time, and if she's strapped into her carseat, she acts as if she's in the car. Makes it so much easier.

I don't have time to type more right now, but if I think of anything else, I'll add more later. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Pixels

The Radian does not RF on a plane in a regular seat with any recline. Maybe in a bulkhead seat, maybe. It actually can be more reclined FFing.

I would bring both seats. Personally I don't even want to risk gate checking a cheapo stroller, so I've never taken one. Backpack the Radian, carry the baby in the bucket, and put toddler in one of those backpack leashes. Or, strap Radian to a rolling suitcase, put one child in the Radian, babywear the other, and carry the empty bucket. You might even be able to stack the empty bucket on top of the suitcase. Just keep in mind that whatever you do, you'll have to be able to disassemble it and reassemble it at security while juggling your toddler and baby. This is one of those times when those backpack leashes come in handy, so you don't have to keep eyes on the toddler while you're dealing with the stuff.

If you don't want to deal with baseless installs while in FL, you could just use the bucket for the flights and buy a Scenera once you are in FL.

kalamos23

I have no problem bringing the ss1 and the radian or buying another seat to travel with here. I've always flown with dh so it just have no clue as to the best way to get everyone where they need to be with the least amount of hassle.

Thanks for bringing up the point about the rn not rfing well, I had forgotten about that bc dd was 2yo when we had it rfing on the plane so it wasn't as big of an issue to be more upright and we turned it ffing for one of the flights bc it was TOO upright.

I totally agree, I'd rather have dd in a seat, and I would put her in a scenara if you guys think she would fit, she has a 15"+ torso height and weighs 37 lbs currently. Does the Avenue have higher top slots?

We normally throw the car seat and carryons on our old peg p3 and I wear dd or hold her hand through the airport. I think dd would be ok walking, she is not a runner thankfully. We also have a Mountain Buggy single but not sure if that would work as well through the airport. I can't stand umbrella strollers bc I'm tall (5'10")and I end up way hunched over.

Do you think I could get the ss1 and the radian in the peg? I wouldn't bring the ss base. That way, I could wear ds and walk dd?

kalamos23

Oh, I should add that dd was 24 lbs at 6mo so there is a decent chance that this baby will be on the bigger side, I don't think I will be able to lug ds in the ss1.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
A lighter weight option for the oldest is the evenflo meastro. It harnesses to 50# and turns into a hbb. Its only about $80.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC