Booster recommendations for almost 8yo

lovemyfamily

DS#2 will be 8 in July. He currently is riding in a Regent. He is skinny, I think 53 lbs. and 51 ish inches, I could be totally wrong on his height. He does sit occasionally in a Recaro Vivo Lite in DH's truck, but we want to have seats for both our vehicles. I can still keep him in the Regent, but I don't think it is necessary, he is going to be in 2nd grade. I would like to get him a seat that forces him to sit properly, thinking the PWS? I would lock his seat belt for a while, to train him, LOL. I think he'll get it/understand. Suggestions?

ADS

Keeanh

My 8yo loves his Monterey, especially for sleeping. But my other guy is 50lbs, 50" and skinny. His shoulders are barely wide enough for the Monterey, and I prefer to have him in the Frontier for now. I think if your son is skinny in the shoulders, the Parkway or Vivo might be better. I can't think of any other TALL boosters at the moment. You probably don't want a Turbo for an 8yo, although they do fit skinny kids well.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We are getting a monterey for our ds2 (5y). I like the nice deep wings and the width adjust. It has a deeper seat, so supports the legs better.

Other seats to look at are the parkway and probooster.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Kat_Momof3

how does he like the vivo? how does he behave in it?

I don't think any booster really FORCES a child to sit properly, except for the child fitting the booster well... and each booster fits differently.

also, how is your son built? leggy, long torso, wide or narrow shoulders??

if he's leggy and has wide shoulders, I'd vote for the monterey.

if he has a long torso and wide shoulders (and narrow hipis), I'd go for the parkway sg

but if he has a long torso and narrow shoulders, I'd get another vivo.

other ones to consider if he's evenly built are the Recaro Probooster, the Chicco Strada, the Frontier (only mentioning it because you have one... it makes a GREAT booster, fits kids without wide shoulders better than the parkway, has more leg support than most boosters, and you can use it with a slide guard clip that can be purchased from Britax... you could switch out the cover and put Kinsadie in the Regent)

luckyclov

My 8 1/2 year old is just under 51" and he's about 66-67 lbs. He fits great in the Monterey and ProBooster, and they both provide an excellent seatbelt fit, but he's on the last headrest click, with just a little growing room left. His torso is probably a little longer than average.

He's got lots more room to grow in his PWSG, so if you're looking for a booster that may last a little longer, I'd put the PWSG at the top of your list (it also converts to backless).

Kat_Momof3

his torso is definitely longer than average... Damian was 5' tall when he was officially too tall for the Monterey. Jeffrey has a much longer torso and was about an inch from outgrowing it at 54-55".

luckyclov

his torso is definitely longer than average... Damian was 5' tall when he was officially too tall for the Monterey. Jeffrey has a much longer torso and was about an inch from outgrowing it at 54-55".
Yeah...I'm glad you said that, actually. I need to take the Montereys out of the truck. I have a feeling we've got another click left and I just can't adjust it due to the angle. DS1 does have a long torso, but I don't think it's *that* long.

lovemyfamily

He's narrow hips, shoulders, maybe long legs, he's an average to smaller kid.
Putting kinsadie in theRegent isn't an option.I bought the pink cover for it,it'd be the end of the world for her. Lol
I will ask DH about how he sits in the Vivo. When we travel with it, he seems to do well. I like that the PW has the loop for the seatbelt, especially since he'd be a newer booster rider.

how does he like the vivo? how does he behave in it?

I don't think any booster really FORCES a child to sit properly, except for the child fitting the booster well... and each booster fits differently.

also, how is your son built? leggy, long torso, wide or narrow shoulders??

if he's leggy and has wide shoulders, I'd vote for the monterey.

if he has a long torso and wide shoulders (and narrow hipis), I'd go for the parkway sg

but if he has a long torso and narrow shoulders, I'd get another vivo.

other ones to consider if he's evenly built are the Recaro Probooster, the Chicco Strada, the Frontier (only mentioning it because you have one... it makes a GREAT booster, fits kids without wide shoulders better than the parkway, has more leg support than most boosters, and you can use it with a slide guard clip that can be purchased from Britax... you could switch out the cover and put Kinsadie in the Regent)

Kat_Momof3

then I'd get another vivo or a probooster... narrow shoulders mean that the parkway and even the Monterey probably won't be the best fit

Kat_Momof3

it has more body support, but the reason I would look at it for your child is you said he's leggy... the probooster has a deeper seatpan that provides more leg support.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC