Question car sick from rfing?

Jessica61624

Last night I took my 14 month son to the Dr. He has double ear infections which I suspected. This morning on the way to daycare he threw up all over himself in the car. Is it likely its from rfing? Im not even.thinking about turning him. Imm just making sure his Dr didn't miss something.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If he's at a full 45 degree recline it can help to bring it up closer to 30 degrees.

My daughter actually puked less RF than FF though & even prefered the recline (she's an odd ball in general though).

It might also help to give him soft car toys to look at rather than the view out of any of the windows. My kid liked puppets & cloth books most as well as a stuffed animal that lit up & played music; I rotated them so the entertainment was different each week or so.

Another tip: I draped over her a fleece blanket to catch most of the puke or wicke it away from her (I found it easier to uninstall the carseat & clean the vehicle as opposed to cleaning her & carseat components).

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org ~ please disregard typos!

Jessica61624

papooses said:
If he's at a full 45 degree recline it can help to bring it up closer to 30 degrees.

My daughter actually puked less RF than FF though & even prefered the recline (she's an odd ball in general though).

It might also help to give him soft car toys to look at rather than the view out of any of the windows. My kid liked puppets & cloth books most as well as a stuffed animal that lit up & played music; I rotated them so the entertainment was different each week or so.

Another tip: I draped over her a fleece blanket to catch most of the puke or wicke it away from her (I found it easier to uninstall the carseat & clean the vehicle as opposed to cleaning her & carseat components).

He's pretty upright in his scenera. We just got the seat two days ago and now it smells like vomit! It's the only time its happened and I think its because the fluid in his ears from the infection.

agurlsride

Ear infections can cause vomiting, its a common side effect. With that being said, my dd1 used to get car sick every car ride when she was rfing but she was 3yrs old so I was ok turning her. I'm gonna guess that yours vomited due to his ears.

Sent from my MyTouch using Car-Seat.Org

Lea_Ontario

The little one has a double ear infection.

Ear infections in general can cause nausea and vomiting, even when they are just in one ear.

They screw up your balance, make you dizzy sometimes, and if they are bad enough - just the pain can cause you to feel sick to your stomach.

ETA :

We dealt with MONTHS of severe motion sickness with Bug as she was recovering from an illness.
Even 5 mins in the car and she was puking. Started when she was 16 months and lasted until - well, I don't rightly remember now.

I came on here and asked about RF vs. FF for carsickness too.

Benedryl or Gravol (Dramamine) was our best friend - for EVERY trip in the car for a long time.

Yes, I chose to repeated and routinely "drug" my child (a half-dose worked for most trips). I would have done so daily.

It was safer for her to be dosed with a half-dose of Benedryl or Gravol (Dramamine) frequently than it was to turn her FF.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Jessica61624 said:
He's pretty upright in his scenera. We just got the seat two days ago and now it smells like vomit!
You can remove the cover to wash & remove the harness to wipe clean -- call Dorel Juvenile customer service if you need specific tips on that.

It's the only time its happened and I think its because the fluid in his ears from the infection.
Probably. I leave that to you & Dr. to determine, but maybe some of what I learned in trial & error with my kid might be helpful while the ear infection heals?

opaque1997

To remove the vomit smell you can also either a) sprinkle with dry baking soda and the vacuum up (leave overnight?) and / or leave a open cup of vinegar in seat (vinegar in cup - cup balanced in seat) overnight

You'd be surprised what that will do for you (I assume you already removed the vomit :) )

Jessica61624

He vomited as soon as he got done with breakfast. Defiantly wasn't car sick. Taking him in again. Thanks for all your replies!

Jessica61624

opaque1997 said:
To remove the vomit smell you can also either a) sprinkle with dry baking soda and the vacuum up (leave overnight?) and / or leave a open cup of vinegar in seat (vinegar in cup - cup balanced in seat) overnight

You'd be surprised what that will do for you (I assume you already removed the vomit :) )

Thanks for the tips!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC