Less tippy boosters?

libranbutterfly

Kamille currently rides in a turbobooster and a graco nautilus as a booster. I am constantly reminding her to scoot back over, as she always leans toward the middle of the car. I am not sure if she does it so she can see out the windshield, of the seat leans her a bit, but it happens in every car she rides in. I have asked her, and she says that is the way she "feels right" in the seat. Any booster suggestions or tips? I am about to reharness her, but she sits perfectly still, doesnt move the seatbelt, etc. amnd begged me for a booster for over a year, so I would like for this to work. Thanks.

ADS

libranbutterfly

Any tips? Should I just reharness her for a few months and try again? Anyone elses kids having a similar problem? Is it the cars? She usually rided in a 97 Chevy Blazer and a 2000 Kia Sportage. Thanks!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If she fits harnessed & won't make rides miserable being harnessed I would probably do that.

Does the Kia have LATCH? I'm guessing not, but if so you might invest in a booster with rigid LATCH (unless her combo seat can use the LATCH in booster mode? I can't remember; only played with that one once).

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org ~ please disregard typos!

glockchick

How old is she? Dd is almost 7 and still does does that when her TB is next to the MA. moving her to the 3rd row where there is no seat next to her fixed it.

Is there a seat installed next to her?

all together ooky

Gwen did that. Drove me nuts. I think it's to see out the front window. I had to switch from the Frontier to the GN for booster because when she'd lean it was just a tad too much for the Frontier ( shoulder strap too far away from neck). The GN seemed to help (maybe because it sits a little higher?) LATCH didn't make a difference for her. I would have reharnessed her if she hadn't outgrown all the harnesses we had.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
all together ooky said:
LATCH didn't make a difference for her.

Did you just use the LATCH straps on the Frontier & Nautilus in booster mode? I suspect that wouldn't help, but rigid LATCH might (if the vehicle has the lower anchors) -- such as Clek Uber & I forgot the other one that was just on the tip of my tongue :rolleyes: they aren't cheap seats, so if the tipping is really bothersome and/or moves the seatbelt out of proper position then I would reharness & maybe set aside some funds just in case (although by the time she outgrows the harness the tipping issue might have resolved itself anyway)

all together ooky

Did you just use the LATCH straps on the Frontier & Nautilus in booster mode? I suspect that wouldn't help, but rigid LATCH might (if the vehicle has the lower anchors) -- such as Clek Uber & I forgot the other one that was just on the tip of my tongue :rolleyes: they aren't cheap seats, so if the tipping is really bothersome and/or moves the seatbelt out of proper position then I would reharness & maybe set aside some funds just in case (although by the time she outgrows the harness the tipping issue might have resolved itself anyway)

Yes, I used LATCH in both the FR and GN. I didn't have tipping issues though like the OP. She'd just lean too far to the side for the FR (she has narrow shoulders). It's not an issue in the GN and she sits fine in the Parkway. I can't reharness her unless I Buy a Regent or FR85. I also find having a book for her to read helps. :rolleyes:

libranbutterfly

I really dont know it the seat tips, or what, just thinking that might be part of the problem. The kia does not have latch. There is usually not a seat right next to the booster, however she doesn't lean as far when there is....maybe I can switch the radian back to the center of the kia and the marathon to the center of the blazer, but then they dont have any separation. Kamille has about 1/2 inch until she is even with the top slot on the radian, and we have a husky that expires this year...If rearranging seats does not work I will probably re-harness her until the husky expires....Any other tips would be appreciated too. I was thinking maybe something with more closed in headwings might help? Of course I cant buy anything right now, but just a thought. Thanks :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
libranbutterfly said:
. I was thinking maybe something with more closed in headwings might help? Of course I cant buy anything right now, but just a thought. Thanks :)

I'm kinda outta the loop on seat options, but the one that comes to mind with narrower head wings is the Parkway & that was tippy for us when others weren't.... I think I remember another parent once said they resolved the tipping issue with a Dorel hbb but it appears to have been discontinued (had a base like the Ambassador)

My only other suggestion based on the seats we had for this phase is a RSTV, but ideally in the center if possible (probably not enough head support for it in the Chevy)

& I agree with keeping some car activities handy. The pocket behind my driver seat is filled with sticker books & kids magazines for DD to use.

Maybe it isn't really a safety issue I'd the belt is still positioned properly & maybe if she isn't complaining then it's fine ... not wonderful, but not really a problem :confused: hard to judge without seeing it of course.

Hopefully it will remedy itself after the Husky can't be used anymore.

libranbutterfly

We have an rstv, but only lap belts and no way to tether in the center of both cars, plus no head support. I will try to get my friend to snap a picture of Kamille the next time we are in the car together since obviously I cant take one while driving ;) In the blazer, I could probably put her behind the passenger seat and remove the headrest when it was just me and the girls, but since it is daddy's car, he is usually with us too....I will keep brainstorming and trying other options. it I have to I will use the rstv full time if it comes to it, but would like to figure out a more convenient solution. I wouldn't worry so much, but the shoulder belt is not on her shoulder at all, but closer to her elbow. Also a couple times I have had to pull over because she prefers the seatbelt locked, and then when she leans out, it ends up getting too tight for her to get back into the seatbelt. Thanks again for letting me ramble, and all the great ideas :D

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
libranbutterfly said:
. I wouldn't worry so much, but the shoulder belt is not on her shoulder at all, but closer to her elbow.
:eek: yeah that's not good ... didn't Recaro once offer a shoulder belt lock-off? man, wish I had more ideas!

libranbutterfly

I am constantly looking in my rear view mirror now...also not the best idea....I am going to pick up my other marathon from my MIL next weekend. I told her she could use it as long as I didnt need it, but I am tired of fighting this fight with Kamille, and need to keep my eyes on the road.

libranbutterfly

DH went with me to pick her up from school today, and I caught her leaning out of the seatbelt. DH told her she would go back in a harness if he saw her like that gain (I told him I was concerned) and she didnt move the rest of the time we were in the car. I wish we had a shoulder belt in the middle of our cars. Hoping to be able to get my van soon.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have used turbos in tons of vehicles over the last 6y. In our minivan they are great in the captains but very tippy in the 3rd row. I noticed they were tippy when dh had his 1995 suburban. It was on the drivers side in the 2nd row. The seat was a 60/40, with the turbo on the 60 part.

We are getting a monterey. It didn't seem tippy in the 3rd row. It also has deeper side and wings. I tried the frontier in booster mode back there and it wasn't tippy either.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Does the Nautilus require the top tether be unhooked in booster mode? Maybe just tether it without enough slack for her to make it tip?

I'm pretty sure my '96 Blazer allowed the farther cargo anchor hooks to be used as tether points....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC