OMG..can't believe what i did...

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
So...despite feeling like crap and desperately needing to vomit every 10 minutes or so, I deicded to go take dd out to the store, see if maybe that would make her happy/get out of the house...We went to Kohl's, looked at some cute stuff, found a cool Diego book on clearance for $3, so I bought it for her. We leave, i put her in the van, get in, we strat to drive away.....(we are still in the parking lot at this point) and i hear "No brple me" I'm like "what honey?" and dd says "no buckle kate" and I'm thinking she wants out of her carseat, and then she says again, loudly "no buckle me mommy!" and i turn around.....She was in her seat, UNBUCKLED! She wasn't asking to be unbuckled, she was telling me she WAS unbuckled!!! I had somehow totally forgotten to buckle her in her seat. I almost died, pulled over into a parking space and went back and buckled her.
OMG..!!! this baby is totally killing my brain, and having 24/7 severe "morning sickness" is making me exhausted and hysterical to the point where I clearly can't even function safely.
And to top it all off, I've been cramping for several hours....I'm just going to go lie down, and wait for dh to get home and then sleep for the rest of the night...except for when i'm puking. Why does this have to be so fricken hard for me?
Alright..vent over....depressed, sick, cramping unhappy lady heading to bed.....

ADS

supercrunch

I have done that a couple times myself.

Once we were on a road trip to delaware and back. Somewhere on the way back, we stopped at a rest area and when I got out to get my dd out I noticed she wasn't buckled. I was absolutely mortified.

Another time I had just picked dd up from preschool and my ds who is a refluxer yarfed all over everything, so I cleaned him up and we were on our way. About 2 blocks down the street, my dd told me she wasn't buckled.

Don't feel so bad. It happens to all of us now and then.

You definitely deserve a nap!

jennsmile

Yep. My ds has told me on more than one occasion he didn't have a buckle on. Of course I was already driving down the road and had to find the nearest parking lot.:whistle:

Jenn

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
What a smart kid :love:

Don't be too hard yourself -- you've provided a safe example & reliably buckled kiddo up to this point that she knew when to alert you to the problem & that says something good about you, mama ;)

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
OHH HUN you are not the only one I ahve to take perscription drugs becouse the baby makes me so sick do you have hyperemisis? it sounds like it to me there is stuff your doc can give you I am 15 weeks and still have to take it Ihave tried going off but it does not work i end up throwing up again! good luck and dont feel so bad!

Clarissa

Morganthe

Don't feel too badly. At least your dd was able to remind you. I still have horrors of the two completely separate times that dh & I spazzed and completely forgot to buckle in dd. They were about 5 months apart.

He learned to STOP asking me questions about item locations when I was in the middle of getting her in the car!! I'd go look and he'd just shut her door without finishing up. I'd assume he hooked her in. :rolleyes: The second time I was 8 minutes on the highway before I realized that she wasn't hooked up at all. Thank goodness for mirrors!!

It's contagious too. While a friend of mine was putting her dd in the vehicle, I told her what had happened. She had a 'system' of order to keep everything organized ... ummm, I think I completely zotted her system out. We were 5 minutes down the road when we noticed her dd only had her chest buckle on. :eek:

I also mentioned how I disliked that her front yard opened right up on a street that went up a very steep hill. "I'd be afraid that a toddler would just take off"... sure enough, that same morning, while we were on our way out, her dd took off running out of the front door headed for the street less than 12 feet away. AT the same time, a huge truck was gunning up the tall hill/small mountain side and came around the corner. Both of us were breathing hard after that close call! :eek:

I learned to keep my mouth shut. ;)
So don't feel bad. We all have our share of terrifyingly guilty moments. :eek:

Mom2nj

Don't feel bad, I keep leaving to van doors open. Either DD says "Uh Mom, you didn't close the door" or the thing starts beeping at me when I put it in reverse or drive.

Hang In there.

oxeye

My DH did it with DD1 once. We were on our way home from my mom and dad's house from Thanksgiving. When we're together, I buckle DD2 in and he does DD1. Well, he got distracted while putting her in the seat, went to grab something else and completely forgot.

We were an hour into the drive home when I noticed. :eek: I completely flipped out and we got her buckled in right away. That day still haunts me but thank goodness nothing happened.

I don't think DH will ever make that mistake again. He felt terrible.

Now I just have to watch to make sure she doesn't undo the harness on her own. :rolleyes:

teekadog

That was what finally killed the Sit 'n Stroll for me. You have to buckle that thing in every time. One late night we very carefully buckled dd into it and headed home. We made it a few blocks when I glanced into the back seat and panicked! We had forgotten to buckle the SEAT in!

I have never used it again. If you follow the old adage, the best seat is the one used correctly every time, that seat FAILS.

It's such a good thing you have taught your dd so well, and that she could alert you. I hope you're feeling better soon.

broken4u05

I have done it with my godson once.. it was a 10 min drive and he is so quite he never told me. I had all the kids with me after a day at the fair. I felt so bad as well and i wasn't even pregant.

Knittingfor4

Thank God I'm not the only one! When Andrew was a newborn my mom and I went to the grocery store. I figured such a quick trip didn't warrant transfering from bucket to sling. Of course he woke up and fussed so I held him. When I put him back in the bucket I covered his torso with a burp cloth. We paid and unloaded and I just put the bucket on the base and we drove home. I didn't notice until we got inside and I went to take him out :eek: I was so... well alot of things... that I never told anyone until now :eek:

I have totally done that before...and worse...once I left the baby in the van (it was night)....someday I'll share that story!

Ok, everyone has their remedies...are you taking lots of useful calcuim? Not tums, not caltrate...but liquid of some sort...or liquid in a pill? I take bone power b/c I can't stand drinking the liquid stuff...but cramping is usually nutritionally related...so rest up, take an epsom salt bath, and see if you can't find some liquid calcium to take. And sugared ginger tastes horrible, but really helps the nausea...or ginger ale. Food enzymes (Nature's Sunshine) when you eat (if you can!!) will help too.

Hope you feel better soon!!! I'd be allright if I wasn't so darn tired all the time!!!

Knittingfor4

For morning sickness, a friend told me that in other countries they live by B6 with a Unisom pill together. I couldn't understand how it was safe to take a sleeping pill? But I got one of those stupid mainstream baby mags from someone the other day, it's the current issue, and I saw it in there too. So I guess it is safe and it's a pretty kick butt solution from what I hear. Otherwise just wait it out and enjoy the weight loss ;)

I hope you're feeling better on *both* counts-- I think almost every parent has made a mistake like that before, after all. I've had several opportunities to repeat the mistake over the years! Sometimes you just get distracted or overlook an important detail-- it happens to the best of us, really. ;)

As for the MS, I can sympathize. I lived off of herbal teas for the duration of my last two pregnancies; mint first thing in the morning, to calm my tummy enough to scarf down something with a lot of protein, chamomile and/or red raspberry leaf throughout the day, and fennel occasionally as well. There are a bunch of other anti-nausea herbs that work well enough; if you do an internet search, you'll turn up all kinds of fun stuff. There's even a bunch of sites that pertain specifically to herbs during pregnancy, since not all herbs are safe to take then (just as with other meds). Good luck, rest up with those cramps, and I hope you're feeling better soon!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC