Question sleeping in booster?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Ds2 is 5y, 55# and 48". He has a husky (about to expire) and turbo. We do trips to grandparents often, 5 hours. Last trip he rode in the turbo and slept fine. Stay in position, but I want somethine deeper and taller for the main car. Our older kids outgrew the turbo with back at 7y. I was planning on the monterey, but he saw the cow parkway and wants it. Is the parkway deeper then the turbo? Deeper wings? Deeper seat? Trying to let him have a little say but want something that will last. This will be his last seat. We also can't try any locally. Our boosters have all been turbos or backless (evenflo, cosco).

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I feel like the sides on the Monster are deeper. I've only tried the Parkway briefly, but my super tall 9yo had about the same amount of room in both. I liked the headwinds on the Parkway as well. All of that said, I am super fangirly about my Monterey. Despite it's rep on the board, it fits all of my kids well (either at shoulder height or up a click, worst case scenario.) It is also my magical sleeping seat, the kids sleep soooo beautifully in it.

rachelandtyke

According to the measurements database, the parkway and turbo are pretty similar depth-wise.

Just based on hanging out around here and reading lots of threads, my first thought for a booster that is good for sleeping in was the Monterey. Lots of people have mentioned it was easy for their car sleepers to sleep and stay in position in it.

icnee

My Ds slept really good in the Monterey (except when he would fall straight forward) and for awhile he was at a point where he fit the adult belt in my 3rd row and fit in the Monterey and he still wanted his booster cause he liked having the sides to lean on.

the seat fit him beautilfully. Oddly enough at 4 it fit my DD2 but now at 5 the shoulder belt doesnt:shrug-shoulders::confused:

Kat_Momof3

unless you have a narrow shoulder'd skinny minnie (and then I'd order it with return shipping insurance from a site that offers it and try first... not all kids are the same and vehicle seat and seatbelt dynamics are factors, too), I'd definitely go for the monterey.

I miss ours so badly... I hated that Ruthie didn't have a good shoulderbelt fit in it and was swimming in it... not that I don't love the Recaro booster we went with for her, but there are things the Monterey has that it didn't... however, the Recaro has things that make it a better choice for her that the Monterey doesn't... I guess I just miss having both boosters instead of just one now.

Anyway, if the Monterey proves a good fit, that's what I'd use... but if not, a recaro booster can offer similar protection but fit the smaller/less leggy/narrow shouldered kids a bit better.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I love the typos in Carries post, it's fun to read about the Monster and headwinds :D (thank you, auto-correct).

Anyway, my kids have always slept beautifully in the Parkway, but I don't know if it's changed much now that it looks like an expensive and ill fitting Turbo knockoff :rolleyes: Diapers.com has free returns if you want to try it, but I suspect your kiddo will be a good fit for the Monterey. Recaro Probooster might also work, but I gather it's a bit tippy in some cars. Vivo is fantastic for sleeping, but has a strange lack of leg support (actually good for kids whose feet touch the floor, and Leah never complained of her feet dangling, but it just doesn't seem to work for some kids at all).

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Thanks everyone. We tried the probooster and it didn't work in the 3rd row of my 2003 dodge caravan. The turbo is somewhat tippy back there but the probooster was awful. He currently rides in a captain chair but our 9y and 10y want to ride there, so trying to get ds2 in the 3rd row. So, I think it will be the monterey for sure. I am really having a hard time deciding because I know ds2 and dd2 new seats will be my last to purchase.

Really debating what to get dd2, but that is another post and she is flipping out about me selling her bv, hopefully tomorrow.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Kat_Momof3

okay... that stuff helps.. I have a 2005 caravan and the Recaro vivo works fantastically... HOWEVER... much may have changed between 03 and 05, because the harmony literider was tippy and had buckle issues with the armrests in the captain's chairs AND the third row bench...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC