what to use for a 2.5 year old?

alake

My nephew Ethan, is 2.5 years old. He will be three in September. He is 35 pounds, and 38 inches tall. He has a good 7 pounds, and 2 inches on Leah. He is currently riding in a soon to be expired AOE. I am wanting to purchase him a new seat, but his mom is insisting upon him having one that turns into a booster seat, I know rear facing is best, but at this age, weight and height, would you be ok, with him in a Frontier XT, or a Nautilus. She drives a small honda accord 4 door, with a baby in an infant car seat. What is your opinions on a seat for him.

ADS

alake

she is pretty set against it, honestly I would rather have him forward facing then in an expired car seat, that has seen better days. If I knew she would use it rear facing I would buy her one to rear face him longer, but I have a sneaking suspision that she would have him forward facing.

tam_shops

If you're planning on using the booster mode, doesn't the Frontier make a better booster than the Nautilus?

If space was an issue, I might go w/ a Radian.

If money was an issue, I'd go w/ a Maestro.

But, a Frontier, Nautilus, Maestro, Radian are the only *big* kid looking seats I can think of that I'd use. While there are other seats that harness to a decent height, Truefit, they aren't as *big kid* looking as the others. And, if her car seat values are limited, don't want child complaining about use, or he'll be done sooner than you may prefer, having spent the money on it...

If you already know her car seat values are no where near yours, do you want to spend $300 on a Frontier, that will be used for a year or two, fine if she has other children to pass it down to...but to use a Frontier in Booster mode vs buying a Maestro now, waiting for him to outgrow it & then buying the Graco turboobooster and/or SKJP/Britax booster, might upset you less...Not saying, suggesting or implying she would/will, just thinking about how frustrated I've been w/ ODS's pre-school friend's car seat (lack) of use. And, how over the top crazy upset I was when d/c lady put ODS into a booster instead of his Maestro...:whistle:

tam

alake

My girls are on the shorter lighter side, where her boys are on the taller heavier side. Summer is 5 years and 3 months old, and weighs 38 pounds and 41 inches. Christopher is 5 years and 2 months, weighs 55 pounds, and stands 49 inches. She is willing to extended harness Ethan, at this point I would rather have him in a harness until at least longer. He is quite a rambunctious little boy, so she wants him harnessed for quite a while.

alake

I don't know yet, she is going to pick him up a new one. I know it ain't the best option but her funds are tight, and I pointed her towards a 40 RF scenera (spelling lol).

mam521

My girls are on the shorter lighter side, where her boys are on the taller heavier side. Summer is 5 years and 3 months old, and weighs 38 pounds and 41 inches. Christopher is 5 years and 2 months, weighs 55 pounds, and stands 49 inches. She is willing to extended harness Ethan, at this point I would rather have him in a harness until at least longer. He is quite a rambunctious little boy, so she wants him harnessed for quite a while.

From this, I get the impression she's gonna have to fit 3 across, right? I wouldn't do a Frontier or a Nauti then...they are too wide. She'd be hard pressed to fit either of those 2 with a proper booster for Christopher (what is he in anyway?) and a seat for the baby as well as one for Ethan.

I'm not sure of the width of the Maestro but I'm sure someone else can chime in. But Radian might be the better option considering her vehicle is an Accord.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC