Backless boosters

wildchild

At what age/weight/height are backless boosters safe to use?

I know what the manufacturers instructions are, but would like to hear what you all really think.

ADS

amy919

I'm not sure about the actual specs on when they're safe to use, but I personally won't use one until I absolutely have to. As long as there is a high back booster on the market to accommodate my kids, I'll be using that.

Amy

wildchild

ITA. The instructions for this one say "For 4-10 years old from 40 to 100 pounds & 40" to 57" tall".

I was curious what is the earliest that this is safe for a child to ride in. I keep seeing them for sale on CL, and one ad said for toddlers...I had to look up the specs.

twokidstwodogs

A recent study from the research center at the Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania showed a quite significant safety advantage for highback boosters over backless boosters. It's hard to know whether the backless boosters were being used properly, but the difference was striking, particularly in side impact crashes.

I wouldn't use a backless as a primary seat until absolutely necessary, but I think it's fine as a temporary or spare seat for an over 4 yr/40 lb kid *who will sit in it properly* and *if it is used properly*, by which I mean with the belt positioning clip if needed.

skaterbabs

A highback is preferred as long as a child can use one, but there are times when due to vehicle incompatibility a backless is necessary. (For example, highback boosters don't fit well in some captains chairs.)

Jordynsmama

I would say when it really fits a child well. And this is not until at least 8-9 yrs.
I am a nanny for a boy who is 9, however, and he is in a backless in my car and he is still a little too small at only 45 lbs and maybe 48 inches. But- his mom had me using a booster manufactured in 1995 (just found this out a week ago after looking at it) and another one manufactured from a while ago to, but I havn't checked.
My sis was using the one from 1995 in her car b/c she works for me twice a week, and I had bought him the backless a few months ago b/c the other seats were old and ugly (I didn't know how old) I mean, it must have been from when their 14 yr old was in a booster!!!
The backless could fit him better, but I already spent my own money buying it and am not buying a 50.00 booster seat. His parents use NOTHING for him in their cars mind you :eek: and he is sooooo teeny in the seat and he sits of on his knees so it will fit better. I have mentioned they need to be in boosters until 60lbs once when she was in my car and commented on my dd's seat and the backless I purchased, but she just said nodded.
But then she made me put her older son in the back till he was 13?? Which is good, I just don't get her not using a booster but doing that.
So anyway, yeah, until it PROPERLY fits their shoulders and they are about 8. Most kids at 8 are well at 60lbs or over (my dd will be) and probably pretty tall.
Personally I will keep my dd in a harness until she is probably 7, depending on how big she is( 4.5 and 45 lbs already) whoa! Then have her in a high back booster until she can't fit any more, then probably straight to a seatbelt or if needed a backless.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ideally, only after they've outgrown highback boosters. IIRC, one source (which I've lost when my last computer crashed) states that highback boosters are about 70% safer than backless in side impact crashes. Side impact crashes are not as common as frontal impacts, but they are more severe. If the vehicle has a center lap-shoulder belt (+ head support up to at least eye level) or rear side curtain airbags then a highback isn't as necessary, though. Highback boosters with deep head wings (such as the Parkway) can help keep kids properly positioned when they may otherwise be more likely to lean out of the seatbelt in a backless.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
ITA. The instructions for this one say "For 4-10 years old from 40 to 100 pounds & 40" to 57" tall".

I was curious what is the earliest that this is safe for a child to ride in. I keep seeing them for sale on CL, and one ad said for toddlers...I had to look up the specs.

The Cosco backless says age 1 and 30 pounds is the lower limit... crazy, huh?

Here's the study that is driving most of us to use highbacks as long as physically possible http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php

I let my 9 and 7 year old ride in a backless booster in our car with side curtain airbags sometimes, but never in our car without side airbags...I insist on a highback or harnessed seat in there.

Kellyr2

I'd use one if they'd outgrown the high back booster, but did not yet pass the 5 step test. And I'd buy one to use as a spare.
(have I mentioned lately that my brother's kids are a petite 8 yr old and a 4 yr old and both are in backlesses?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC