How to respond to this facebook comment?

ohiomommy08

My friend just posted this on her facebook page - I'm glad her 3/4 year old is still in a harness seat, but :eek: on the homemade cover idea!!

"OK, who can make a carseat cover for a Britax Marathon/Fisher Price Safe Voyage that WON'T cost me $70?? The original carseat cover is getting icky, yet again, and I just want something washable!! #noboosterseatyet"

Any ideas for a nicely worded comment? (One of her friends already liked her post and pasted a link from ebay for a pattern to make a cover) Any ideas on how to get her a cover at a good price??!! Help!!

Laurie

(I'll probably do some comment on her wall because I want others to know it's not safe - not sure of exactly what to say. I'll also probably email her directly through facebook to give other ideas of where to get one.)

ADS

Dillipop

Tell her that her current cover IS washable. I wash my Britax covers all the time in the washer on delicate and then air dry.

Otherwise, send her here where she can get a nice used cover less than $70.

babyherder

I think saying that aftermarket covers aren't safe is fine. Then send her some suggestions for where to get another one cheaper. Or suggest ways to clean her current one. And maybe add in something about how you totally agree with no booster yet and do the same with your kids.

ohiomommy08

Am I correct that those covers are hand wash only? (although I, and I think other members here, have made the parental decision to machine wash and air dry?)

Dillipop

Am I correct that those covers are hand wash only? (although I, and I think other members here, have made the parental decision to machine wash and air dry?)

Yes, they are technically hand wash only. However, I have washed mine numerous times and they still look brand new. Delicate or hand wash cycle, then air dry. I'd much prefer someone going against the manual for washing the cover than for using an aftermarket one.

I just logged out and checked to see if I could see swap as a visitor. I could see all the posts and post reply was available within the threads. If I wanted to send a PM, I'd have to register.

ohiomommy08

Thanks for the quick responses! At least she said she doesn't sew, so won't be buying the pattern, but was excited that you could make covers out of fleece - how cool is that!! (ugh!)

Here is my response:

I have those seats for Taylor and love them!! I'm not sure if you know this, but covers that are not manufactured specifically for the seat (aftermarket products) are not considered safe. Have you tried to wash the cover? Even though it'...s supposed to be handwashed, I have washed mine in the washing machine on the delicate cycle (I think I even used spray and wash) and let air dry and it came out GREAT!! I would try that before getting a new cover. If you want help finding a new Britax cover, check out the swap forum at www.car-seat.org. You can probably get one for less that $70! Or maybe try your local Craigslist ? If you can find a cheap Marathon, buy it, keep the cover and cut the straps on the seat and throw it away. Or search CL in other areas - maybe some will be selling a cover and could ship it? Just some ideas so you can keep K safe!!

Then a link to CL

Then this:
Oops - forgot to comment! The link is to a seat in the Denver area with a cover I'm drooling over!!! It's called Faux Paws:) Maybe she would ship it to you and then destroy the seat (it's expired so it shouldn't be used any way!!)

And yes, I'm very tempted to get that Faux Paws for myself, but I love our Hannah cover and Ashley floral (which is hardly ever used) and I have a FPSVD sitting in the garage with no vehicle for it. Cannot justify it:) AND it would be much better for my friend to get it if she needs it:)

Lys

Senior Community Member
The reason aftermarket covers aren't safe is that most, if not all, have not been treated with flame retardants which is a requirement for children's products.

Britax showed this during their tour I took 2 years ago. That's why their covers are made the way they are (colors, fabrics etc)

You should also only wash them in warm, not hot water, no soap, detergent only and NO fabric softener.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC