Goal for ERF?

SignCuer

Goal for my nanny kids and my future kids are age 3-4 but preferably 5.. all of my nanny kids under 4 are still RF so we are keeping that way!

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
My goal for Z is age 4. Right now, he is 2 yrs 9 months, 36 lbs and 39". He outgrew his 33 lb BV a LONG time ago, lol, and I knew then that the Radian XTSL would be the best bet for getting him to age 4 RF, so that is what I got. Being that he is a big kid (95% for weight & height), I feel like age 4 is a good goal for him.
My little G, on the other hand, is only about 17% for weight. He will be 1 tomorrow :)love:) and is about 20.5 lbs, so I think I'll go ahead and turn him. J/K :p! He is so little still, that I haven't decided what my goal age is for him. I will probably go for the limits of his seat, but being that I haven't decided what his convertible seat will be yet, that is yet to be determined.

Our goal is 4, but if she still fits RF at 4, I might just keep her RF.
A lot of my friends had almost talked me into 3, because they were telling me it was unrealistic to have her RF until 4 (i.e.- I was crazy for thinking she'd fit RF that long), and then I came on this board and saw so many kids RF til 4 or 5 in radians.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
5 . I'll grumble and whine, but I'll Rf him next winter.....but that is IT. He'll turn 5 as the winter of 2012 stars, and I'm not doing wet muddy nasty snowy boots through another freaking eternal winter, not at age 5. So...ya. 5.

aeormsby

My goal was 3yo. I was kind of in the same situation as you. Kids are almost 2 years apart and when DS turned 1 and was moving into a convertible all the seats out there still only RF'd to 35lb. Right around the same time DD was turning 3 and suddenly weight 31lb (our seats had a 33lb RF limit). So I bought a combo seat for her (a Frontier). Then a month or 2 later all of a sudden all these seats came out that RF'd to 40lb. If I was doing it over again with the seats available now I would probably get one of those higher RF seats (knowing that some of them would easily keep my short kids harnessed until they were ready for a booster). But I don't feel guilty at all about turning them at age 3 since they have basically maxed out the RF limits of the seats that we have.

amelia222

For my tiny dd with her short torso, at least 4, probably 5-6. If I had a taller/heavier kid I might consider ff at 3 years.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My goal is booster age, if I have feasible seats and it's not upsetting for the child.

For my nanny kids, we max out the limits (45lbs) or else turn somewhere between 4 and 5, unless they're agreeable to staying RF longer, in which case I'm sure not going to tell them no.

I would not turn before 3 unless there was NO way I could avoid it, and 4 unless there were compelling reasons. (I turned J at 3y11m because he hit 45lbs, and I wasn't going to import for him.)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'm in the minority, but anything after age 2 is good for me.

For a 2.5 yr old, I'd strongly consider a HWH seat or combo seat rather than another convertible when it comes time to pass the current seat to baby.

For the kids I spend most of my time with, it doesn't matter if the seat goes to 35, 40, 45, or 65 (in a ff seat). They will be too tall for the seat long before they are even close to maxing out the weight:
  • My friends' 11 mon/24 lbs twins are too tall for a Keyfit 30. They're now very happy in their Radians :D.
  • My twin cousins out grew their MAs at 4 and were too tall for their Nautis before 6. At 7, the larger of the girls is "square" @ 53-54 inches AND pounds. Since she's eating her parents out of house and home, we expect her days in a booster are numbered.
  • At our most recent check event, we had to FF a 20 mon (freakishly long torso). Rfing, she was "just right" in an Evenflo Titan, but had 0 room to grow. It didn't make any sense to send her home in this as new seat. She went home in a Maestro. We weren't happy to go against the new AAP guidelines in < 24 hours after they were announced, but she left safer than she arrived and in a seat that will fit her for more than a few weeks/months.

emthecountrycat

My ERF goal is 5. My son is 32 pounds 37-38 inches. is cowseat has been "dispatched for onward transport abroad". So I think I can make it.

babygirlsmom1005

Madeline made it past 5 RF'ing...my goal for future kids is a minimum of 4 years old (I know they are all not going to be as small as Madeline is), but we'll do the max to the car seats abilities (the highest RF'ing seat we have is 40 lbs RNXT).

ElfJewel

My youngest 2 will probably RF until 6, they are small and I don't want to rearrange carseats in our vans, the 3rd rows are tiny, and we spent 5 hours trying to get 3 across in our new one. I don't ever want to move them :) In grandma's car I would let them FF at about 3, or whenever they outgrow our spare Scenera RF.

pj2rc

My youngest is 33# now in seats w/ 35# limits. She turns 3 in June and I am really hoping she makes it to then. At that point, can I not feel guilty for FF her if she hits the limit? I am really having a hard time with it, buy I haven't even broached the subject with DH, cause I know what he'll say :) I turned DD1 at 2, cause at the time, I knew longer was better, but thought 2 was acceptable. And now, if I want to go go past 3 which would require new seats, he's not going to be happy without a strong argument for it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
PJ, I think that's something only you can know. When J (not mine, but I've had him 50h/wk since he was 2 weeks old) was about to max out his seat at just before 3, I tried to gear myself up for turning him around and just couldn't do it. So we got a Radian. I noticed around 3y7m or 3y8m the idea of him FFing sat much better with me, and when he finally hit the limit, I was truly ok with it.

If you want to continue RF her, can you sell some of the seats you currently have to offset the cost (or come up with the funding another way?) Or use a Scenera, if she still fits, which is reasonably-priced?

jasminegrl

For DD I want to do limits of the seat which we have a XTSL and she grows super slowly she's only 17lbs at 16 months. But we will move back to the states when she is 2.5 and I'm not sure that I will be able to fit that seat rear-facing in the vehicle we have stateside its a Mitsubishi lancer. For DS if he grows as slowly as DD does then I will probably get a Coccoro since it would last for awhile and he will be 1 when we move I'm pretty sure that a Coccoro will fit in the lancer rear-facing. We are hoping to buy a Mazda 5 when we get back to the states so we can have 2 cars but I don't know if it will happen right away.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC