Help with 3 car seats in a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan

Maddiesmum

I just wanted to send an update on this topic so hopefully it may be of help to someone. I spent alot of sleepless nights and long hours on the phone with various organizations trying to find out whats legal and whats not and whether I could use the car seats in my van the way I wanted them too. I still do not have a straight answer to this problem of there only being the one tethor anchor in the third row bench seat.
So we took possession of the van, bought 3 new Radian 65's and also a new Frontier for my 4 yo old. I called the Chrysler dealership in North york Toronto since I found information that they have installed the retrofit anchors that were mentioned in the above posts. I had a very helpful service person make a lot of phone calls for me and finally came back to me with a part number that she received from Chrysler Canada or from Mopar. It was the part number mentioned above. So I called my dealership, explained the situation, told them I had a part # and gave it to them to order it. Was called back and told this part was for a Durango. Yes, I told them but that was the number given and it was supposed to work on this bench seat. Sevice told me they would need to speak with Chrysler Canada themselves because this part was not made specifically for a 2010 Caravan. The got called back to say, "no can do". The dealership woudl not be responsible for installing additional tethors in a vehicle that was not supplied with more by the manufacturer.

I was very upset. Even tried to call the dealership and ask about returning a vehicle that was not going to work for me. We only had it a few days and barely had any kilometres on it and basically the salesperson said, too bad, its a used vehicle now. UGH!

So I spoke with a car seat technician at St Johns ambulance, called the fire department, the police department, spoke with someone at Transport Canada and at the Ministry of Transportation. One of the recorded message (not sure if it was from the MTO or Transport Canada), had a recorded message stating that if your vehicle was not equipped with top tethor anchors than you should see your dealership to have them added. But the dealership had already said they would not install them. So what to do now?
Someone I spoke with at Transport Canada said that most older vehicles could have them installed but that he wasnt aware about the protocol with regards to installing additional tethors in a vehicle that only had a few installed. He thought that maybe there was a reason that Dodge only installed 3. 2 on the back of the middle seats and 1 on the back rear bench. He thought maybe perhaps they hadnt been tested on those seats and I would be best to call the car manufacturer directly to inquire about it. At this point, I was so very tired with phoning and trying to get an answer so I have not yet made the call.

I do have a friend who owns a body shop and has installed anchors in other cars before and offered to do it for me if I bought the anchors from Canadian Tire. I still havent found out whether I can legally do this or not yet.

In the meantime, I have the seats installed and have the two outboard Radian's rear-facing. It works ok for my two 1 year olds but today I needed to put a 3 year old in one of the rear facing seats. The straps were adjusted for my tiny one year old so they werent in the right position for my taller 3 year old. Crap!

Anyway, here's a picture of the set up in my van just a week ago (before I replaced my daughters Alpha Omega with the Frontier). I still hope to get an answer as to whether I can put two more tethor anchors in my van so I can install the other two Radians forward facing (if they will fit)
35m1n60.jpg

ADS

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
Two questions:

1~ Can you stow your 3rd row bench? Can you take a picture of the underneath like I have here

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=92105&highlight=top+tether

(I unlatched the vehicle seat and tipped it forward to get a picture of the bottom)

2~ Is that Alpha Omega an older 40lb seat? if so, it appears to be on the top slots which is not allowed for harness mode. Its for booster mode only since its not reinforced for harness us.

Also, a quick tip for quickly changing the harness on a RF Radian, if you tip the captains chair forward, you can change the harness straps w/o removing the entire seat.

canadiangie

I'm familiar with this. Quite familiar, actually, as is Canmom (Toni) on this board. I don't have the strength to type everything out lol, so if you like, you can call me. Just private message (pm) and we'll go from there. I just texted Toni to alert her about this thread. She's even more versed on this topic than I am. I may transfer you over to her, but let's just get in touch first. :thumbsup:

Bottom line, it's doable, but it's not fun. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing... As usual these days.

Edited to add: Toni is all set to talk with you. Just get in touch with me and I'll give you her number. :)

Edited to add #2, lol, you should have a private message in your inbox from Toni now. :)

Maddiesmum

@ HONEYhas 3

1~ Can you stow your 3rd row bench? Can you take a picture of the underneath like I have here

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...ght=top+tether

(I unlatched the vehicle seat and tipped it forward to get a picture of the bottom)
2~ Is that Alpha Omega an older 40lb seat? if so, it appears to be on the top slots which is not allowed for harness mode. Its for booster mode only since its not reinforced for harness us.

Yes the third row bench is stowable. It looks different from your picture but because I have all the seats in, I cant take a picture of it right now. I feel too lazy to take them all out right now.

The Alpha Omega was just there for the picture as I hadnt picked up my daughters new Frontier yet. The Omega is now in my husbands car and used in a booster mode without the harness.

Also, a quick tip for quickly changing the harness on a RF Radian, if you tip the captains chair forward, you can change the harness straps w/o removing the entire seat

Thanks for the tip! I hadnt thought of that.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Maddiesmum said:
The Alpha Omega was just there for the picture as I hadnt picked up my daughters new Frontier yet. The Omega is now in my husbands car and used in a booster mode without the harness.that.

Check to make sure the lap belt is fitting low across the top of the thighs and the shoulderbelt is across her collarbone. The Omega has a bad habit of not fitting very well in booster mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

eitingon

Question regarding the 05015403AA retrofit for the third row - can this be done if you have the power-folding third row seat? I have a 2009 VW Routan (really a Town and Country with a VW-esque grill) and would like to do this.

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC