Which Britax is smallest...?

NanceXToo

One more question...if we do end up deciding that we can go with a Britax, I've been reading up on them and one of the standard comments seems to be that they are large...

I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix SRS and I have to be able to fit a carseat for my 18 month old son, a booster seat for my 6 1/2 year old daughter, and my 15 year old daughter has to be able to fit in between them. Right now they do fit with an Evenflow Tribute OHS (which I'm trying to replace because I just found out the overhead bar really isn't the safest)...anyway the dimensions of that Evenflow are 18.0 x 17.25 x 25.75. And they fit (and I've even managed to fit in between the carseat and booster seat myself when the baby was cranky and I wanted to be next to him). But if I try to fit something much bigger than that in, I think it's going to start to get uncomfortable (if not impossible).

So does anyone know which Britax would be the best fit in a situation like that?

Thanks!!!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Britax Roundabout is the smallest of the Britax seats. However... ;)

1) OHS seats tend to be much wider than 5-point seats, so you've probably got quite a bit of room to work with.

2) Even more important than overall width is where that width goes. So, a narrow seat that has a pokey bit right at your DD's elbow is going isn't going to work nearly as well as a wider seat that fits around your DD nicely.

As I said in my other reply to you, the Radian will probably fit best in your situation, but only if it installs properly in your car. Also, while the Roundabout is smaller than the Marathon, its weight limit is also lower than either the Safe Voyage or the Radian, so you won't get to use it as long.

oxeye

I think their convertibles all more or less the same width (not completely sure about how wide the Roundabout is, though!). You might get a little bit more room width-wise with a Roundabout or Decathlon since they have a little different LATCH system (Marathon and Boulevard have metal bars on the side that the Roundabout and Decathlon do not have).

Your best bet it to try one out and see how it fits.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Not answering your original question, but I'm wondering about your older daughter - is there a lap/shoulder belt in the middle of your car?

If there is only a lap belt, you need to put your teenager outboard, and put the 18 month old in the middle in a harnessed seat.

NanceXToo

Not answering your original question, but I'm wondering about your older daughter - is there a lap/shoulder belt in the middle of your car?

If there is only a lap belt, you need to put your teenager outboard, and put the 18 month old in the middle in a harnessed seat.

Hi, Yes, there is a lap/shoulder belt in the middle. I appreciate your concern!

Ulrike...oops...you're right. I just looked up specs for the one I have now, and the Britax, and the one I have now actually IS wider, so I guess the room won't be too much of a concern!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The Safety 1st Uptown I mention in the other thread is a bit narrower than any Britax seat (which are all pretty much the same, FPSVD being based on them as well). The Radian is the narrowest, but I don't know how it installs in your vehicle. I do know that an RF Marathon or Uptown fits outboard with Parkway booster in the center. (Tip: have the older kids use the buckles that sit next to eachother so that your 6 year old does not accidentally disengage the baby's seat).

The Matrix I played in did not have a center headrest, which your oldest MUST have to prevent whiplash. Frontal crashes are much more common than side impacts so kiddo would be safer outboard, especially if your Matrix has side curtain airbags :)

NanceXToo

The Safety 1st Uptown I mention in the other thread is a bit narrower than any Britax seat (which are all pretty much the same, FPSVD being based on them as well). The Radian is the narrowest, but I don't know how it installs in your vehicle. I do know that an RF Marathon or Uptown fits outboard with Parkway booster in the center. (Tip: have the older kids use the buckles that sit next to eachother so that your 6 year old does not accidentally disengage the baby's seat).

The Matrix I played in did not have a center headrest, which your oldest MUST have to prevent whiplash. Frontal crashes are much more common than side impacts so kiddo would be safer outboard, especially if your Matrix has side curtain airbags :)

Thanks for the info, again! My Matrix does not have a center headrest, either. So you think I should put the baby's carseat in the middle then, and put my teen on one side? The reason I have them the way I do is because 1) I'd always heard that a carseat is safest behind a seat, which it wouldn't be if it was in the middle, and 2) for ease of getting the baby in and out. Was that first not really correct? (I feel very ignorant right now lol)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
The Matrix I played in did not have a center headrest, which your oldest MUST have to prevent whiplash.

oops, I meant to say that too.

Eldest kid must have headrest *and* lap/shoulder.

I've never played w/ a Matrix yet. Heaven help my poor dh when my cert. card comes. :whistle:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The center seating position is safest, as long as the occupant is correctly restrained. "Correctly restrained" means adults and older children have both a lap/shoulder belt and head "rests" to prevent whiplash (the seatback or headrest should come up to the midpoint on the head, which is usually just above the tips of the ears). It means that children who do not fit properly in the seatbelt ride in a booster with a lap/shoulder belt (a high backed booster will provide head support to prevent whiplash in seating positions which lack that support). And, it means that children who are too young to sit properly in a booster use a properly installed car seat.

A rear facing convertible provides better side impact protection than a front facing seat or no seat at all. So, if everyone else were properly restrained, I would put the baby outboard, since he's better protected. The most important factor is proper restraint however. If that means moving the 6 year old or the baby to the center, do that.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'd always heard that a carseat is safest behind a seat, which it wouldn't be if it was in the middle
That's a myth. Some manufacturers allow RF seats to "brace" against the front seatbacks, but others do not (follow the manuals).

The center is generally the safest & we usually say to put the least protected occupant there (RF being the most protected, FF safer than booster, booster safer than just seatbelt) ... but in this situation the center is not the safest for your oldest child because it lacks headrest :eek: Every vehicle occupant (including the driver) NEEDS support behind the head at least to eye level.

It will also easier for your middle child to climb into the center, then biggest enter & have them both use the buckles nearest eachother ;)

NanceXToo

Thanks for the info! OK....so I have decided to order the Britax Boulevard, which I will leave in the rear driver's side, and I will put my six year old in the middle in her booster seat and have my teenager sit in the rear passenger side due to the headrest issue.

(it is amazing how many things you don't know even when you think you are doing what is safe for your kids). Whew.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC