Question weight limit on Tucson latch system help!

U

Unregistered

I have both my kids car-seats installed in latch(isofix) in my 2008 Tucson, but the car-seat manufacturer(britax) says to only use latch up to 40 lbs unless stated otherwise. Britax says the car-seat can use latch up to 80 lbs but only if the car's latch system can as well. Does anyone know what the weight limit is on the latch system in the 2008 Tucson?? Both my kids are approaching 40, one is 39 and the other is 38 and I was hoping not to have to use the seat belts yet. I have read the entire manual, called the dealership where I purchased it and I can't find any info and no one seems to know. Thanks for any help!!!!

ADS

DanielleH

CPS Technician
I believe Hyundai defers to the child restraint limit, but I'm confused. You said Britax said 40 pounds and 80 pounds using LATCH?

Mae

Britax says 40lbs, unless the car says otherwise. So if the car said 50lbs, you could use to 50. If the car said 30, you could use to 30 (hypothetical numbers).

Hyundai refers to the car seat manual, so you can use LATCH to 40lbs. Better switch over to seat belt! :)

U

Unregistered

I believe Hyundai defers to the child restraint limit, but I'm confused. You said Britax said 40 pounds and 80 pounds using LATCH?

The britax frontier says I can use it until 80lbs using latch, but need to follow the car manufacturer limits if it is less. I know many cars go only to 40 lbs on the latch system, and so I am not sure why britax has latch on the 5 pt boosters for up to 80 lbs, but then says to follow the car manufacturer. My dilemma is I can't find any info on what Hyundai says. So britax says I can use latch upto 80 lbs on this seat, unless stated otherwise by the car manufacturer, but Hyundai doesn't seem to have any info, so I don't know if I should it's limit is 40 lbs or if I can use it up to the 80 britax says?

U

Unregistered

Britax says 40lbs, unless the car says otherwise. So if the car said 50lbs, you could use to 50. If the car said 30, you could use to 30 (hypothetical numbers).

Hyundai refers to the car seat manual, so you can use LATCH to 40lbs. Better switch over to seat belt! :)

Actually Britax says for this seat 80 lbs(convertable booster) but to follow the car guidelines if it is less. So if Hyundai truly defers to the car seat maker, then I can use it until 80 lbs.? I am just not sure about this.

I know when my kids are 80 lbs I can put them in the booster seat and then use the latch just to secure the seat and the kids will be restrained by the belt(Britax states this is fine for all cars despite any limits on latch since you are not using latch as the restraint), but right now I am using it 5 pt harness mode which only goes to 80 lbs. OR maybe it is 85lbs, but the point is that seems like a lot of weight on the latch system and I am leery, but do hope to continue using the latch for a while yet, I was thinking more like 50 lbs. But if it is truly safe to use all the way up to the max britax says I will happily use latch the entire time as it is soooo easy. I just want to make sure it is safe.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You have the Britax Frontier combination seat, right? That's the only recent/current Britax combination seat that uses a built-in 5 pt. harness and converts to a belt positioning booster. You'd think it would be called a convertible carseat, but that term is reserved for carseats that can be used rear facing and converted to forward facing usage, while harnessed FF carseats that convert to a belt positioning booster are called combination seats. :) The instruction manuals for both the discontinued original version of the Frontier with the 80 lb. harnessed weight limit, and the more recent and currently available Frontier 85 model with the 85 lb. harnessed weight limit, state to assume a lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit of 40 lbs. in harnessed mode unless the vehicle manual specifically states a different LATCH installation weight limit. Since Hyundai doesn't specify, you need to assume it's 40 lbs. and install the Frontier with the vehicle seatbelt at 40 lbs. and up in harnessed mode in your car.

U

Unregistered

You have the Britax Frontier combination seat, right? That's the only recent/current Britax combination seat that uses a built-in 5 pt. harness and converts to a belt positioning booster. You'd think it would be called a convertible carseat, but that term is reserved for carseats that can be used rear facing and converted to forward facing usage, while harnessed FF carseats that convert to a belt positioning booster are called combination seats. :) The instruction manuals for both the discontinued original version of the Frontier with the 80 lb. harnessed weight limit, and the more recent and currently available Frontier 85 model with the 85 lb. harnessed weight limit, state to assume a lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit of 40 lbs. in harnessed mode unless the vehicle manual specifically states a different LATCH installation weight limit. Since Hyundai doesn't specify, you need to assume it's 40 lbs. and install the Frontier with the vehicle seatbelt at 40 lbs. and up in harnessed mode in your car.

Okay, now I got it. Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. sometimes these things get so confusing. I will then use the belt to buckle the seat in. Thank you so much!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC