Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Mirror Question :)

Assuming I can get the angle right, can anyone think of an issue with sticking a couple of these [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PPR-Direct-Marketing-Adhesive-Mirror/dp/B0010YRXFU/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1299624121&sr=8-20"]mirror stickers[/ame] on the seatbacks/headrests behind our rearfacers so we can check up on them from the front? Not thinking so much of the driver but I would like to be able to see them from the passenger seat on long trips.
    Kyra 1/2008 39 lbs in a Harmony Defender
    Paige 3/2009 40 lbs in a Graco Nautilus
    Erin 4/2011 30 lbs in a Radian r100
    Baby #4 Due in Nov. in a Chicco Keyfit30

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Mirror Question :)

I can't see them working, but if they do, sure.

I use a lightweight mirror that's pinned down. No, it won't hold in a crash, likely, but at 10 ounces in a 60 mph collision that's 37.5 pounds of force. It takes 2,000 pounds to the forehead to kill someone, 400-4,000 pounds to the chest, depending on age (let's assume Laine is 400 still), and 76 pounds of force directly to the throat. So even in a serious collision, even if it comes off, even if it hits her directly in her throat, it cannot kill her. Bruise, yes. I make the choice to use it as a parent.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Senior Community Member

Hi Wendy, which mirror do you use? I lost mine and need a new one. Thanks
    DD 5.5yo, 38lbs, 43" - FF in a Radian XT and Frontier85 SICT
    DS 3yo, 33lbs, 38" - RF in Radian XT and Britax MT

http://www.safefit.com/p_detail.php?...&id_article=69

It's light enough that if I tossed it at Laine, I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

6. Thank You from:

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

There is the issue of "gazing danger." At least one study has shown that drivers using these mirrors to view children were statistically slightly more likely to get involved in accidents because they were more likely to be distracted, looking at their child(ren.) However, some parents get very anxious if they CAN'T see their child, or sometimes there is a medical need to keep an eye on the child and no other way to do it. So, it is a parental decision you can make, once you know the risks (gazing danger as well as projectile hazards.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    There is the issue of "gazing danger." At least one study has shown that drivers using these mirrors to view children were statistically slightly more likely to get involved in accidents because they were more likely to be distracted, looking at their child(ren.) However, some parents get very anxious if they CAN'T see their child, or sometimes there is a medical need to keep an eye on the child and no other way to do it. So, it is a parental decision you can make, once you know the risks (gazing danger as well as projectile hazards.)
    Another benefit to weigh against the risks is that with a mirror, a parent is less likely to forget that the child hasn't been dropped off at daycare or wherever and accidentally leave them in the car. It's one of those things where the parent wouldn't even realize they'd "forgotten" about the child for a few seconds - they'd just glance in the rear-view and see the kid, and probably never even realize they'd blanked out for a few seconds, yk?
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    http://www.safefit.com/p_detail.php?...&id_article=69

It's light enough that if I tossed it at Laine, I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Wendy
    How does that one attach? I've been looking at the mirrors online but have had a terrible time telling which ones are lightweight and how they fasten in the car. We'd need 3 to put on the three seats w/ headrests in our second row.

I'm not too worried about gazing danger as we had a mirror in the back when oldest dd was an infant and if I was driving I never looked at it, only when I was in the passenger seat. DH rarely goes anywhere with the girls by himself and when he does it's generally just the 3 year old who can respond to questions.
    Kyra 1/2008 39 lbs in a Harmony Defender
    Paige 3/2009 40 lbs in a Graco Nautilus
    Erin 4/2011 30 lbs in a Radian r100
    Baby #4 Due in Nov. in a Chicco Keyfit30

If you have headrests it loops around the headrest back onto itself. Or it can attach to a tether if you have one nearby.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

I have this mirror:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Adjustable-Back-Seat-Mirror/dp/B002A9JCYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1299790507&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Munchkin Adjustable Back Seat Mirror: Baby[/ame]

I particularly like it since it has straps that secure with a clip both horizontally and vertically. Honestly, the only way that mirror is going to come off is if the whole headrest comes off as well.

It's also adjustible left & right and up & down.

I think I paid $15 for it at walmart.

Carseat Crazy

I use a similar mirror as Wendy. It's a Soft frame shatterproof mirror with no hard surfaces (I had one that had a light w/ a little plastic dome which I removed)
    I prefer the ability to check on my rear facer periodically..especially when I am the passenger or at red lights and such. I feel that it's a parental choice I make to keep DD rear facing longer and to use the mirror

Karen, mom to my crew...all 6 riding in '09 pilot