Cover for a recaro Como?

opaque1997

Ok - I know there are a FEW of you that have the Como as I do and if you have ever washed the cover you know its a PITA.

I was hoping there was a slip over cover like the britax models have - that would work? But I've not had any luck - anyone else? And is it safe to put a sheet or something on it? (yes it will look ugly but I have several kids in and out and I'd like to have something I can take off and wash easily)

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Britax doesn't make a slip cover. I am pretty sure you can order a cover from Recaro, just like with Britax.

opaque1997

Aren't all those cute covers - custom ones and such just like slip covers? And I do not see anywhere to order covers from Recaro and wouldn't they be just the same and have the same issues of getting on off?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The "cute" slipcovers are not approved and can be dangerous. They aren't safe to use on Britax, Recaro, or any other seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No, those are after market covers made by non car seat companies. The only covers that should be used are the ones made by the car seat company, for the seat you have.

Yes, you will have the same issues getting the cover off. If you hate it that much, sell the seat and buy one with a cover that is easier to get off. Does your really get that dirty?

To order an actual cover, Call Recaro.

opaque1997

Ok if you see my original post I asked if they were safe.. :)

I'm feeling a little attacked here.

I love the seat and the safety features and as I just dropped another $200 on a seat and this right now is for friends / family not my own children I'm not in the mood to drop another couple hundred. I was simply looking to see if there were other solutions..

The seat doesn't get that dirty - until I put an infant in it (have 3 that are due VERY soon that will most likely be using this seat on and off) and they have a blow out - OR one of the kids (young or old) pukes.

My friends kids tend to puke a lot - I've washed this particular seat 6 times already.

Thanks for the info about the after market seat - at least I can stop wishing I had one!! :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Sorry, wasn't trying to attack. :(

I suggest large bibs for the pukers. Maybe a burp pad under for the blow outs? Something small and thin. Thinking the Carter's ones.

Also remember that the harness is hand wash only. No chemicals or washer.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Are you thinking of using the seat for a newborn ("due very soon")? The seat will not fit a newborn, and especially not a newborn triplet.

opaque1997

Ok - maybe I should be a lot more clear -

I have a recaro como (wait is it a como? The pink one thats on super sale everywhere.. yes its a como not a signo - 5-70 pounds)

I've had it for over a year - I use it currently for a friends 2 year old and sometimes my niece who is also 2. My best friend is preggo with a third child (she has a 5 year old, 2 year old and then this one). I just bought a Radian 65 and was thinking I could probably fit a rear facing Recaro, FF Radian and FF booster in my forester (I know I'm hoping and wishing here). So yes - a 'newborn' but it would be a full term baby and likely not until it was 6 weeks or more and if I can find a way to fit a newborn carseat with the radian and booster I'll be likely to do that instead.

On the other side my brother / sister are also expecting same time with their 2nd. Thinking if I have those kids, radian for 2.5 year old and recaro or infant seat for baby (space won't be an issue)

I also have another g/f expecting 1st child a month later.

So all three would likely not be in my car until about 2 months

Ok - big bib (I'll just find one - is it safe to use a thin blanket over the child?) and I hadn't thought of a 'catch' pad under neath the bums.. so that all helps.

THe last time I cleaned the straps I used water and a rag.. the seat cover in the wash on gentle.. not fun.. not fun at all.. but still better then the baby puking in the swing and not realizing it.. back and forth.. milk ish stuff dripping back and forth.. :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It will not fit a newborn. It will fit at about 13 lbs.

What kind of car? We can help with the 3 across.

opaque1997

The seat says 5ilbs and I've seen pics of an infant? Grr.. I have a 2006 forester. I own the recaro, turbo booster and now the radian 65 the three kids will be almost 6 (and she's a solid size...roughly 45 pounds now (this is for september) in turbobooster now but will prob try and move her to radian when received), a almost 3 year old who is smaller..prob around 25 pounds right now..maybe 30? In recaro (ff facing..I know I know). Mom is planning on getting infant seat.. most likely snugride..so I could get a base..but with 3 seperate infants id rather have a perm seat.

I also don't like the harder latch installs as the seats come in and out...though I am skilled at seatbelt installs so I guess that's not a huge deal.

Currently I have kids roughly twice a week..I suspect that number to stay about the same but different kids

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It may be rated down to 5#, but it doesn't fit kids until they're 12#-15#. When rear-facing, the straps must be below the child's shoulders, and the Como has high bottom strap slots. The child must be tall enough to have her or his shoulders above the bottom straps, and that doesn't happen for several months.

Radians work for most newborns, though. Put the 2yo in the Como and the babies in the Radian.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
With 3 acrosses, seat belt installs are the way to go, especially with you vehicle. Personally, I would learn to do baseless installs with the infant seats.

I know the recaro says 5 lbs, so does the Britax and the Safety 1st Alpha Omegas. The problem is, the harness must be at or below the shoulders for rear facing. The harness is too high in those seats.

Your Radian would work, for a newborn.

opaque1997

Ok - how easy to do a baseless install with 3 across in a tight fit? I know how to do it but it never seemed as safe..

Would I be better off - Radian 5 yr ff (I'm very worried about rear facing the radian in a forester - I've heard bad things), Recaro ff / rf for 2 year old and then buying something like a scena? Or just getting an infant seat myself (going to be trying to get pregnant starting September so I feel seats are investments as with any luck I'll be able to use them all for my kids (presuming I have kids in the right time frame))

opaque1997

Thanks the video is helpful - but how do I do this 'on the fly' with three kids under 6 and NO space to put my hand between the seats? thats my worry - though again - if I get my own seat then I wouldn't have to do that.

I know nothing is making me happy and you are trying :) I appreciate it.. I'm just very fusterated by the whole situation!

If I get another seat - how much thinner is the radian then the turbo booster? I suppose I should 'ditch' the recaro and get another seat and put 2 year old in the radian.. but I'd soooo much rather ditch the booster and not have to get to seatbelts

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I am sorry that one showed to person IN the car. I do this in my lifted truck, from outside. Maybe I should do a video. lol

opaque1997

Though I suppose if I'm putting the infant seat in - I could make sure its on the outboard - hold the seat out the door - put seat belt through (I have to pull it all the way out to get it to lock anyway - then put seat in place and not have the hand problem.. ) so then its just getting the radian in place next to the recaro and making sure the seat fits on the outboard...

Then I wouldn't need another seat - because by the time any of these babies are out of their bucket the recaro will fit them and I can just move everyone up a seat... I like this..

Thanks and thank you most of all for hanging in there as I think through this!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC