Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Booster readiness?

I could have sworn there was a checklist for booster readiness (as in, switching from a 5-point harness to a high-backed booster with a seatbelt) but I can only find the checklist for seatbelt-only readiness. Am I nuts? Can someone straighten me out here?

My almost 6-year-old is bugging me to switch to a "Big Girl Seat" and I have been putting her off. But now that she's in school and is going on playdates with friends in other cars, the Radian's steel frame is becoming a bit...overwhelming Add to it that her infant brother is quickly outgrowing his bucket and it's getting to be time to consider another game of musical carseats (Radian to the baby, new carseat/booster for her, does my 4-year-old stay in his seat or get a new one, or???)

You get the idea. I just want to make sure she's ready for a booster and I don't rush her out of a harness while still making the best financial decision for our very limited budget. Our options will remain limited with 3-across in our Corolla

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Booster readiness?

Is the child big enough? 40 pounds recommended, and of course the child must meet the minimums of the particular booster you pick.
    Is the child mature enough to stay properly seated for the whole ride?
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar
    The checklist some of us recommend is the same one we use for sear belt readiness. Just apply the steps to the kiddo while using a booster. The first 4 steps will ensure a good fit, which will vary based on the vehicle and the booster, and the 5th step will ensure that it is an age appropriate choice.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

I agree... I'd have no problem with a 6yr old in a booster as long as the booster gives a good belt fit, the child is comfortable, and the maturity is there to stay in position the whole time (even when sleeping, which is why a highback is usually preferred)

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Thank you! She's definitely big enough weight/height -wise. The maturity is in question, but in a high-back she really does seem to treat it like she's in a 5-pt, so I think we're ok if it keeps her up while sleeping. I think head wings are best for that.

Now to research boosters! Thanks again!!