Milk straight from the dairy farm

TheRealMacGyver

Just read the post on soy milk and started thinking about how my cousin that lived in the country would ride her bike to the dairy farm down the road carrying stainless jugs and buy milk. I think it was pasteurized, but not homogenized (or maybe that's backwards?). Anyhow, I remember it was great for making chocolate milk, really good stuff! Okay, so I have no opinion on whether this stuff is good, bad, or indifferent, but I'm curious if anyone here still buys their milk this way. (or can you even buy it like this anymore?). Probably sounds like a stupid question to country folks-sorry.

ADS
I think there are several members here who do use raw milk. I would love to, but availability is an issue for me. I do buy milk from a local dairy, though, still bottled in glass 1/2 gallon jugs. It's some of the most delicious milk I've ever had. :D

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We buy our milk straight from the farm but it's delivered to us every other week (we freeze it). It's unpasteurized and unhomogenized - just plain raw milk. :D And it's delicious. We've been drinking it for almost three years now...?

The laws vary from state-to-state, so you may be limited on where you can buy raw milk. Our organic market has "lightly pasteurized" but non-homogenized milk in glass containers. We buy that if we run out between milk deliveries. :thumbsup:

mominabigtruck

Around here to buy raw milk you have to be part of a co op that owns part of the dairy because its illegal to sell raw milk.

southpawboston

our summer home was right down the road from a dairy farm in upstate NY, and during the summer months when we were up there we would buy fresh (but pasteurized) milk from them. this family was a third (or fourth?) generation farming family, since about 1850. they had a son my age, and whenever i would eat over at their place, the food was rich and tasty!!! i remember the fresh milk being particularly yummy!

on a side note, we still buy fresh eggs from my mom's neighbor, who has free-range chickens!!! there is no comparison to store-bought!

TheRealMacGyver

Now that you've mentioned it, I remember reading something somewhere raw milk. Evidently, there is a whole "underground" market for this stuff if I remember correctly! I can just see it now, the feds come crashing into your house and bust you for dealing in raw milk!:D I do remember the stuff from the farm (pastuerized) being exceptionally good though. Thanks.

Chaoticoctipus: I have to tell you, everytime I see your avatar in any post I always have to stop and ponder just what it must be like to have such a large family. Just not something you see that often anymore, but it's nice to see. I wonder how I manage with just one 1 yo at times, but I guess I really have it easier than I think.

Knittingfor4

I had looked into this briefly awhile ago. I'm not sure where I can get some local but I know I can. What I learned is that the processing makes the milk harder to digest, more allergenic, and strips the good nutrients out. Then they put fake stuff back in that's less digestible than the real stuff, like Vit D. Of course, cow proteins are very large anyway, and harder for humans to absorb. Also they have a different base structure. Goat milk is far closer to human milk in structure and protein size, and is therefore easier for humans to digest. And of course, store bought non-organic milk will have antibiotics, hormones and pesticides in it :thumbsdown:

The only thing I don't get is why it's safe? It obviously is, but they keep telling us that raw animal products pose a significant e.coli risk. Eating undercooked meat is apparently a death wish. But I found one online farm in CA who ships frozen raw milk products. They've been inspected by the gov. and declared e.coli free. I guess I don't understand e.coli very well.

southpawboston

Of course, cow proteins are very large anyway, and harder for humans to absorb

:confused: :confused: :confused: this makes no sense. we ingest and digest proteins of all sizes, from every organism that we eat.

What I learned is that the processing makes the milk harder to digest, more allergenic, and strips the good nutrients out. Then they put fake stuff back in that's less digestible than the real stuff, like Vit D.

depends on what the "processing" is. simple pastuerization is simply heating the milk up to kill any bacteria; and true, some proteins and vitamins so also get destroyed in the process. i don't see how that makes the milk more allergenic. fortifying the milk with additives is common, i suppose, but that has nothing to do with pastuerization.

Goat milk is far closer to human milk in structure and protein size, and is therefore easier for humans to digest.

i've heard this as well... goats are apparently genetically more similar to us than cows...

And of course, store bought non-organic milk will have antibiotics, hormones and pesticides in it

amen to that!!! that's why our DDs do not get it.

The only thing I don't get is why it's safe? It obviously is, but they keep telling us that raw animal products pose a significant e.coli risk. Eating undercooked meat is apparently a death wish. But I found one online farm in CA who ships frozen raw milk products. They've been inspected by the gov. and declared e.coli free. I guess I don't understand e.coli very well.

the reason is it less of a risk is because of the way it is obtained. milk from a healthy cow (i.e., no systemic infection) is, for all practical purposes, sterile from a microbiological perspective. as long as it does not become contaminated between the cow's utter and your fridge, there is little to worry about.

to obtain meat, the animal has to be slaughtered. this means that fecal matter from the gut (did you know that 1/3 the weight of fecal matter is e. coli??? yes it is true) can, and does, contaminate the cut pieces of meat. this is especially true of ground meat as opposed to cut meat, since any contamination essentially gets mixed throughout the ground meat, as opposed to just sitting on the outer edges of the cut pieces.

ETA:

just venturing a guess here, but i'm guessing that the major sources of contamination in raw milk is not from the milk itself or the cow's utter, but simply in the equipment used to collect it, handle it, bottle it, and transport it. remember that cow stalls and other parts of milking facilities are basically coated with cow fecal matter, and therefore, e. coli.

LeeLi

When I was going to college in LA I used to buy raw milk locally but it is nearly impossible to get here in Oregon. It was delicous tasting, even better than the local organic pasturized milk I get here (from Pacfic Village). The laws about raw milk here are very tight and I've heard that even getting milk through a cow share it hard.

And what southpaw said about protein is totally true, the same food can have many different "sizes" of protein and our bodies digest them the same way. Protein is composed of long chains of amino acids(the fundamental building blocks of life) that are coiled and balled up together. During digestion or cooking the balls are denatured back into the long chains and the chains are broken down into components our bodies can use. So cooking is actually good for protiens because it starts the digestion process.

But pasturization and exposure to light do degrade other nutrients( especially vitamin D), which is why whole raw milk is better nutritionally.

The typical allergenic part of milk is lactose, which is a sugar not a protien. Some people are allergic to casein too, which is a protein that IIRC is in all milk-goat, human, or cow.

The main health concern with raw milk is usually listeria bacteria, which is not as harmful as some other pathogens but can be deadly for people with compromised immune systems. Although my understanding is that listeria is pretty rare in raw milk.

Oh and remember that with e. coli. only one strain(O157: H7) is harmful, the other e. coli strains already live in our gut just like they live in the cow gut. The harmful strain E coli. O157:H7 makes a toxin that other strains do not, which is why it makes people sick. And getting that nasty strain in food is a direct result of lack of sanatization and or too many cows crowded together. Just another reason to buy organic or from small local farms.

Last edited:

Kellyr2

Yeah, I was thinking that the risk was probably from contamination. It's the same with meats - it's not that their actual meat/muscles are full of e coli - I assume it's in their digestive tract just like it's in ours. And I assume that their milk doesn't pass germs around any more than ours does (it doesn't, for the most part).

I'm not anti-raw milk, but I'm perfectly happy with my past. homo. organic milk.

southpawboston

Oh and remember that with e. coli. only one strain(O157: H7) is harmful, the other e. coli strains already live in our gut just like they live in the cow gut. The harmful strain E coli. O157:H7 makes a toxin that other strains do not, which is why it makes people sick. And getting that nasty strain in food is a direct result of lack of sanatization and or too many cows crowded together. Just another reason to buy organic or from small local farms.

this is true about the toxic strain of e. coli, but it also resides in the cow's gut, which is why there is a risk to consuming raw meat, as opposed to raw milk.

i'm not a medical doctor, microbiologist or an epidemiologist, but i know enough of basic biology that the cow's strain of e. coli is not the same as in humans, either. in fact the strains that live in our guts vary between geographical regions (hence the saying, don't drink the water in mexico!). our immune system has to adapt to the new strains, and before that happens we can get quite ill. also, the flora in our guts varies between sections of gut-- there is a whole ecology to our alimentary canals. if we were to ingest a significant amount of e. coli from our large intestine, it would surely get us sick, regardless if it is the harmless e. coli strain that lives inside us.

as for buying from small local farms, i like to support them (when possible...which isn't often, sadly) for the fact that they are small and independent, but that doesn't mean that their sanitation practices are any better than at factory farms-- i grew up (during the summers) down the road from a small dairy farm. they actually had to close down temporarily several times due to sanitation problems. that was eventually their downfall. they closed and auctioned off all their cows because after several of these episodes, the local distributors no longer wanted to buy their milk.

scatterbunny

Hey, fellow Oregonians, I'm thinking of trying one of these farms for raw milk: http://www.realmilk.com/where4.html#or

I just need to figure out how much we drink per month and try to buy that much, and freeze it. I can't justify the gas more often than once per month, and I'm sure the milk itself will be spendy. I already pay $3.50ish for a half gallon of Organic Valley, or $5-$6/gallon if I buy it in the gallon.

southpawboston

and here comes scatterbunny yet again with an incredibly useful link :)

that's a great resource for anyone searching for a local fresh mill dairy! i will have to check it out.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I LOVE raw milk. It's the best milk ever. I just wish it didn't cost so much. $6.99 a quart or something like that. But then, the organic, pasturized, homogonized(sp?) milk is $6.99 a gallon.
And I buy free range omega-3 eggs from Costco. Not sure how good they are for you, but they are cheaper than the grocery store.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
One overlooked issue with store-bought milk is the homogenization, which many folks believe to be worse than pasteurization. It supposedly creates new proteins because it's spun so fast that the molecular structure breaks down. So you've got a protein structure not found in nature that ends up as a toxin in the body b/c the body is like "what the heck is this?!?". So it sets it aside rather than having an enzyme that knows how to digest it, hence more mucous production to try to flush it out of the body, which then leads to ear infections, sinus problems, etc. From reading alot of the Weston Price stuff (www.westonaprice.org) and the Real Milk info and books (www.realmilk.com) over the past 2-3 years, it sounds good enough for me to believe it. When we run out of our raw milk, that's why we bought the "cream line" unhomogenized milk at the store... ;)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I LOVE raw milk. It's the best milk ever. I just wish it didn't cost so much. $6.99 a quart or something like that. But then, the organic, pasturized, homogonized(sp?) milk is $6.99 a gallon.
And I buy free range omega-3 eggs from Costco. Not sure how good they are for you, but they are cheaper than the grocery store.

Wow! $6.99 a quart? We pay $4.00 for 1/2 gallon and I think $6.50 for a gallon (I don't buy gallons, just 1/2 gallons b/c they fit in our fridge/freezer better). Is this straight from the farm or at a store?

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Wow! $6.99 a quart? We pay $4.00 for 1/2 gallon and I think $6.50 for a gallon (I don't buy gallons, just 1/2 gallons b/c they fit in our fridge/freezer better). Is this straight from the farm or at a store?

It's from the store. It was $6.29 for a quart. I think a 1/2 gallon is $8.99 or something.

Dillipop

We've begun buying our milk from a local farm after taking a tour there last summer. When touring, we were informed that the cows were never given growth hormone and if they were on antibiotics for anything, the milk was dumped. Since I refuse to pay $5 a half gallon for organic milk, we go to the farm and pay $3 a gallon or 1.85 a half. I get whole milk for the kids and skim for us. The farm prices are actually a bit less than regular milk at the market. It is only distributed at the farm store, though, so it means a trip to the farm once a week.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC