need idiot proof seat for grandparents to use

fastdogs

I've mentioned that andy is outgrowing his carseats. I've replaced two of them (we have three vehicles), so still have the two scenera/tourivas- one in my car and one at my parent's house. They seldom use it, and I'm terrified to think of the few times they've used it without me checking it. Andy's shoulders are even with the top slots, so we may have a little time they can use it. It's very easy, but I've checked it after they've installed it and found it with the latch belt throught the rear facing position.
Most recently, my dad wanted to take us all out for ice cream in their geo tracker with the top down. Apparently it does not have latch. When I tried to put it in with the belt, it had those belts that don't tighten (unless they are in an accident), and the locking clip was nowhere to be found. I told him we couldn't go in that car, we could use mine. but he was determined. He hooked the top tether to a cargo hook in the back, and demanded to know why that wouldn't work (cargo hook, loose seat belts that don't lock) Of course I could move the seat all over the place, but he is stubborn, and it only made him angry. He also informed me that the expiration dates were just so the company could make more money. Needless to say, we didn't go get ice cream.
I would just not get them a seat, so they couldn't take him anywhere, but they'd take him without a seat. I have the regent, and to me that was easy to install, but can't afford to buy one that would get used a handful of times a year. Maybe an apex? Not the radian, I'm afraid they couldn't install it. I will leave them with the touriva for now anyway, and get them a locking clip for the seat.
vickie

ADS

skaterbabs

I'd say the Decathalon instead of the MA if the kiddo is FF. The DC doesn't have the LATCH bars like the MA, so if it's a la-only install no worries about Grandma accidentally putting the belt over instead of under them.

The Uptown is pretty idiot-proof too.

fastdogs

andy's 3 1/2, and about 34 lbs right now.
you should have seen the harness my dad made to take andy on his motorcycle with him. Luckily that never happened.
I'll look into the ones suggested- but a new marathon costs about what a regent does, doesn't it? What are "lockoffs"? If they are idiot proof enough, it might be worth it. THey won't leave a seat installed, so it would be sitting in storage most of the time.
I'll look at the alternatives suggested. Andy was just above the top slots in his britax galaxy (with an 01 manufacture date, it's what brought on the discussion of expiration dates), and is even with the top slots in the tourivas.
vickie

Loves2sing

you should have seen the harness my dad made to take andy on his motorcycle with him. Luckily that never happened.

:eek: OMG!!!!! What was he thinking? Honestly, because of this incident alone, I wouldn't want to leave my daughter alone with my parents, if at all possible. I know they are your parents, and they would be hurt, but they are many others who have made the same decision on this site. Because of my parents irresponsibility with my nieces and carseats, I have never left my daughter with them when they have planned on going out. Everytime she has been in a car with them, I have been there too. I am not telling you this is what you should do, it's just what I would do. I would just be scared that Grandpa would take him out on his motorcycle, and just not tell me about it afterward, KWIM?

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Uhmm... you're seriously letting them take your son places after those run ins? I live with some pretty stubborn parents who like to argue with me all the time about car seats, but when push comes to shove they know either they listen to me or they can go by themselves.

Honestly, i know everyone might shudder (and i kinda am too as i write this) but do you think your parents would do better with a OHS seat? At least they can't really mess it up. As much as I hate OHS with a passion, your parents seem to have their own agenda and it doesn't get much easier than pulling the sheild down and buckling him.

fastdogs

I do avoid it, for exactly the reasons you stated. It's getting more and more, I think they are getting more and more forgetful. I have left them with them for a day, but they meet halfway (it's when I'm out of town and my husband works one day on the weekends) and I always have him check their carseat first. It literally has to be checked every single time they install it, because they forget things. This past weekend has just about scared me out of ever leaving him- that my dad would be willing to drive off, top down, with the carseat held only by the top tether (attached to a cargo loop). I can show them how to use the locking clip, but honestly do not have any confidence they'd remember any instructions.
vickie

fastdogs

I've never even looked at overhead shield carseats, do they even make them? how tall do they fit? After this weekend I even thought about a booster for him, because they do know how to fasten seat belts, but Andy's no way ready for a booster yet.
vickie

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Uhmm... you're seriously letting them take your son places after those run ins? I live with some pretty stubborn parents who like to argue with me all the time about car seats, but when push comes to shove they know either they listen to me or they can go by themselves.

Honestly, i know everyone might shudder (and i kinda am too as i write this) but do you think your parents would do better with a OHS seat? At least they can't really mess it up. As much as I hate OHS with a passion, your parents seem to have their own agenda and it doesn't get much easier than pulling the sheild down and buckling him.

No, it's not better, they'll put the shield down and just not buckle it (the Tribute is shorter than the Scenera, and the Scenera Versa Fit is *really* hard to buckle, it's on a loose crotch strap and you have to reach under the shield to buckle it...dad will just assume the unlatched shield is perfecto and leave it that way :( )

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Unfortunately :thumbsdown: I just saw an add for them in the Sunday Paper. Obviously i'm sooo not a big fan of them, but given the stubbornness and the unwillingness to learn by your parental units, i shall link you.

Evenflo Tribute

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
No, it's not better, they'll put the shield down and just not buckle it (the Tribute is shorter than the Scenera, and the Scenera Versa Fit is *really* hard to buckle, it's on a loose crotch strap and you have to reach under the shield to buckle it...dad will just assume the unlatched shield is perfecto and leave it that way :( )

YUCK! I didn't even think of that! :eek: Maybe you should just stick to being the primary driver until they're willing to listen to you about your childs safety.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'll look into the ones suggested- but a new marathon costs about what a regent does, doesn't it? What are "lockoffs"? If they are idiot proof enough, it might be worth it. THey won't leave a seat installed, so it would be sitting in storage most of the time.
I'll look at the alternatives suggested. Andy was just above the top slots in his britax galaxy (with an 01 manufacture date, it's what brought on the discussion of expiration dates), and is even with the top slots in the tourivas.
vickie

The Galaxy has lockoffs, too.. they are clamps on the side of the seat that replace the need for a locking clip in non-locking belts. www.albeebaby.com has Marathons as low as $229. Maybe you should just wait a year till he's older and learns how to buckle a booster seat himself and then let him go in a Parkway or Compass B510, though?

Loves2sing

Do you know anyone else who would be willing to watch your child when you are out of town? Inlaws, cousins, siblings or friends? I think that I would be more comfortable with anyone else.

fastdogs

I take him down there every weekend for one day, so they get to see him enough that they don't bother me about leaving him there. My younger sister has custody of their great grandchildren (four of them), but she is quite cavalier about carseats, and has even had one of the other children hold the youngest on their lap in the car ("hang on real tight if we get in an accident"). I know my mom has transported them with no boosters or carseats, so I am more and more agreeing with everyone about not leaving him with them. THey are over an hour away at least.
vickie

Loves2sing

I take him down there every weekend for one day, so they get to see him enough that they don't bother me about leaving him there. My younger sister has custody of their great grandchildren (four of them), but she is quite cavalier about carseats, and has even had one of the other children hold the youngest on their lap in the car ("hang on real tight if we get in an accident"). I know my mom has transported them with no boosters or carseats, so I am more and more agreeing with everyone about not leaving him with them. THey are over an hour away at least.
vickie

:eek: Thank GOD that you know more than they do about these kinds of things! At least your kid is safe! So much of the time the ignorance, (meaning lack of education about car seat safety, not neccesarily lack of caring) runs in the family. Obviouosly I wouldn't leave my kids with her either!

fastdogs

I will still get them a carseat, since they are emergency contacts, but more and more I think it will have to have lockoffs, so no matter what car they put it in (they have a cadillac, and tracker, and a small pickup) they won't have to remember the clip. I probably need one that can be installed without the tether, since they will probably forget that. They know about latch, and that's the best way for now since it's easier. So I'll be looking for
top slots higher than scenera/touriva
lockoffs
easy to install
something electronic to disable their car if they install it wrong.
vickie

mominabigtruck

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg how about a combo seat like a cargo or chase. They don't have built in lock offs but they're pretty idiot proof being as they're only ffing so there's only one belt path to go through and they're really easy to install with a seatbelt.

henrietta

The Graco Safe Seat 2 (forward facing toddler seat only goes to 40 lbs right now, but has @ 17" top slots-comparable to the Marathon).

It has lockoffs and is fairly idiot proof that way, but it's a big seat and expensive for one that only goes to 40 lbs.

good luck!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC