CCO Infant Padding

scoutingbear

**Pictures added to post #11

So..my 7th month old is now slightly above the second slots in her CCO WITH the infant padding. I can't move the straps up with the infant padding in there, but she doesn't meet the 15 pounds for removing the infant padding (and probably won't for another 2 months...at least. :rolleyes: ) So...what to do? I know if I take out the padding she will still be on the bottom slots, but hopefully she'll still be over them. For reference, she is only slightly above the bottom slots in the Radian. Yeah. No torso...still can wear 0-3 month onesies.

Last edited:
ADS

Chely7425

I don't have the infant padding in T3's cco... he is 11 pounds. I was told by multiple people that it was ok to remove it since it made his reflux worse.

NVMBR02

Yes, there was a thread on here and several people (I am fairly certain Vera from Combi was one of them) said the infant padding could be removed earlier as long as fit was good without it.

I removed it when dd2 was about 5 months old, she was about 10 pounds then and fit great without it. She was much happier. :thumbsup:

scoutingbear

Thanks, I knew there had been discussion before about it, but uh, am too lazy to search. :eek: Especially when said 7th month old is helping to type.

lovemybabies924

are you not allowed to be above the slots in a CCO? i thought u were supposed to be above them RF? or am i reading this wrong?:confused: i have a CCO OTW so i wanna know haha

luckyclov

We got our CCO when DS2 was about 6 mths old...and never used the padding...since he fit properly without it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
lovemybabies924 said:
are you not allowed to be above the slots in a CCO? i thought u were supposed to be above them RF? or am i reading this wrong?:confused: i have a CCO OTW so i wanna know haha

The padding is so thick that it's very common for kids to be WAY over the bottom slots. It's best to have the harness in the slots closest to the kid (but still at or below the shoulders). Sometimes when the straps are too low they can start sliding off the shoulders, too.

Vera has said it's fine to keep the insert in and move the straps to the second slots, but I've never been able to envision how that would make sense. As stated, she also said it's ok to remove the insert as long as the kid fits without it.

I, personally, tried to squeeze as much time out of the insert as I could because I had a cool chocolate-strawberry thing going. But with a very long-torsoed kid, I eventually had to admit defeat.

Pixels

If the straps aren't falling off her shoulders, I would leave well enough alone and use the seat as the manual instructs.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pixels said:
If the straps aren't falling off her shoulders, I would leave well enough alone and use the seat as the manual instructs.

Yes, I agree with this. I realize my explanation was confusing. There's nothing inherently wrong with the straps being in the not-closest position in a situation where a required part of the seat makes it that way.

In my case, it WAS causing the straps to slip off her shoulders.

scoutingbear

Here are the pictures. I'm sure she will lose a bit of height in the car since I had to prop the seat up in the house. Us CA people FREEZE when it drops below 70 and it was 52* outside. ;) She seems much more comfortable without it and the straps are on the outside of her shoulders with it in.

With the padding
DSCN0310.jpg

Without the padding
DSCN0311.jpg

and just for fun...as a n00b!
DSCN4253.jpg

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I love n00b CCO photos!

How do you feel about the straps on her shoulders? It's hard to see much difference in the photos, but I know from experience there can be a big difference.

scoutingbear

I can try for more photos after she wakes up...she was ready for a nap, hence the red rings around her eyes. :rolleyes: I like the fit better without the padding. It was getting hard to tighten with the padding and the straps I thought were positioned too far out on her shoulders with it in. Now, we can play, "Let's take bets as to how old she'll be when she outgrows it!" :D

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If they're slipping off her shoulders and getting hard to tighten, I'd remove the insert as the Combi rep has said it's ok. And she clearly fits without it, right?

scoutingbear

Thanks, I'll keep it out. :thumbsup: Yup, she does fit without it...not by much and if she loses too much height when we install it, I'll put it back in. Silly peanut baby!

Cryssy Jane

wow she is tiny. L is above the 2nd slots already at nearly 5 months. I too took the infant padding out for him and he bounces between 10-12lbs.

Chely7425

She looks good without the padding :) T3 is 11 pounds and on the first slot (he is nowhere near the second slot... lol) and he fits about the same without the padding!

babyherder

She's cute either way. But more pics can only help!

Seriously, I think as long as combi is ok with it, I'd use it whichever way you prefer. The fit looks great in both pics.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC