Proposed changes to GA law re: CPS

mommy-medic

Mods- move if necessary, wasn't sure where to place.

This was sent to me via my work email, so disregard the mottom concerning going through your dept if you don't work for a public service agency. Thought this was well worth sharing and hoping others will support it as well:

Raising the Child Passenger Restraint Age to Under Age 8
(Developed and Current as of 2/21/2011)

This information is provided to assist you in responding to inquiries
from your community.
1. Please be advised that Representative Alan Powell, Hartwell, and others are sponsoring a bill to require Georgia drivers transporting children under age 8 to use a child passenger restraining system appropriate for the child’s height and weight. Current Georgia law only requires this when transporting children under age 6. House Bill 279 was passed unanimously by the House Motor Vehicles Committee and will go to the Rules Committee, if you would like to follow its progress.
2. Likewise, Sen. Jeff Mullis, Catoosa, and others are sponsoring a bill to require Georgia drivers transporting children under age 8 to use a child passenger restraining system appropriate for the child’s height and weight. Current Georgia law only requires this when transporting children under age 6. Senate Bill 88 and has been assigned to the Transportation Committee, if you would like to follow its progress.
3. The language in both bills is the same and at this time the only proposed change from the current law is the increase in age.
Below is the link to the Georgia General Assembly website if you would like to view the legislation: http://www.legis.ga.gov. At the top of the screen click on Legislation, on the left side under Legislation, click Search.
As of Feb 2011, two states (TN and WY) require booster seats until age 9. Twenty-seven (27) states and the District of Columbia require booster seats until age 8. An additional 6 states require booster seats until age 7. Twelve (12) states, including Georgia require booster seats until age 6. Only three (3) states require booster seats until ages 4 or 5. (Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Available at: http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx)
• Booster seats help position kids so that the seatbelt fits across their body appropriately. According to the “Partners for Child Passenger Safety” study, booster seats are 60% safer than seat belts alone.
• Seat belts are designed for an average-sized adult male. Children usually don’t fit in adult seat belts properly until they are at least 8 years old or about 4’9”. In a crash, poor fitting adult seat belts can result in serious injury to a child’s abdomen, neck and head.
• The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Safe Kids USA recommend keeping children in booster seats until they are at least 8 years old.
IMPORTANT: Before contacting any elected official or talking to the press, please make sure you are aware of your agency’s policies related to advocacy efforts and contact with the media.

You will receive periodic updates.

ADS

luckyclov

Well, it's needed...although, it's not uncommon to see can't-be-older-than-4 year olds unrestrained in vehicles.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Are yoiu able to make comments on the wording? I have an issue with 8 or 4'9" tall. That's fine if they want to make the bill say 8 years old, but to imply that an 8 year old is 4'9" and fits an adult belt is just wrong. i made a post in another thread and I think it's somewhere between age 10 and 12 that kids reach 4'9" http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1591017&postcount=2

So they can keep the bill at age 8 but the sentence about when kids fit should imply that 4'9" tall doesn't happen until 10-12. Parents have to start being told accurate info on when kids really fit adult belts. They can still choose to follow the law that says 8 years, but at least they are being told the truth.

Rebelnicky04

Thank you for posting this... while we don't have children yet we are waiting on a sibling group of foster children and I did not know that children have to be in boosters until 9 :eek: I guess 95% of the people here aren't aware of that either based on the 5 year olds I see wearing seat belts all day long :mad:

MomToEliEm

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27039756/detail.html?sms_ss=email&at_xt=4d6d8146793069c0,0

Has anyone seen the latest release? Thoughts on the 40lb exemption?

When reading HB279 (http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2011_12/fulltext/hb279.htm), I don't see the exemption for 40lb when related to lap/shoulder belt use. I do see an exemption if there are lap-belts only though. I do see the part where a child is exempt if they are already 4'9" tall though prior to age 8. Maybe I am not reading the bill correctly though.

bella_1818

Thanks for the link. I had only read the news article and was really hoping I was misunderstanding it. I couldn't imagine allowing a 40lb child to ride with a seat belt only.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC