2 TFP's on a plane

Mummy2Summer

Will 2 True Fit Premiers fit side by side on the plane?

We are doing our last (HOORAY) international flight in October! we are FINALLY going home! I have bought a ticket for DS who will be 15 months. But I am unsure if 1) a TF will fit on the plane and 2) if two will fit side by side.

I am taking the seats with me to use in Australia (yes I know its illegal but I really dont care :rolleyes: )

I am shipping alot of our belongings but it will take 3 months so shipping these car seats aren't an option.

TIA

ADS

leighi123

A TF for sure fits on the plane. It fits RF without the headrest, and it fits RF with the headrest in 'economy plus' seats. It fits FF but you cant really use the tray table.

I dont know if 2 would fit side by side, I had to lift the armrest to make it work.

Mummy2Summer

A TF for sure fits on the plane. It fits RF without the headrest, and it fits RF with the headrest in 'economy plus' seats. It fits FF but you cant really use the tray table.

I dont know if 2 would fit side by side, I had to lift the armrest to make it work.

we have regular economy seats.... Both kids will be FFing for the flight (its 14 hours and I am not having another argument with the person in front because their seat doesn't recline.)

My mum is flying over from Sydney to fly back with me so I don't do this alone PHEW!

I currently have the row of 4... (it goes 3, 4, 3) so the 2 kids will be in the middle and myself and my mum on the aisles.

I recently flew with myself and my son in one row and my daughter and my husband/mother in the row behind and it didn't go well so I booked the row of 4 this time...

If I lift all the armrests do you think two would fit? or do I need to change my seating?

leighi123

Because of the set up on the plane, you might be able to move the seat by the window as close to the window armrest as you can, then the middle seat right up next to it, the middle seat might be slightly 'off center' (maybe an inch), which will move it into YOUR seat a little bit. So it might be uncomfy for you. I used the edge of the seat as an armrest for myself, and Im a small person so it didnt bother me.

But sense you have 2 adults, instead of having to worry about it, I would try and get 2 and 2, and put a kid by each window. I would rearface the 15month old because it will be a lot more comfortable for him and he might actually sleep! I'd say put the FF child behind the RF child, so if they kick, they are only kicking their little brother and not a random stranger. Person in front wont be able to recline their seat, but in all of the many flights I flew with ds when he was RF on the plane, I've NEVER had anyone complain about this (flight attendant can move them if needed OR give the person in front a choice of being kicked, or not being able to recline, and put the younger child RF behind your older child - and this also depends on weather your older child has long enough legs to kick the person in front, and weather or not they are a kicker!) Either way the your little guy can still rearface and be more comfy.

You can call in advance to try and switch seats but sometimes they tell you just to wait, so usually I just switch at the gate. On United they always put families in the back, and sense my ds falls asleep before we leave the runway, I dont want to sit next to other people's kids! So I usually get myself upgraded to the 'reserve seats' (this is 2-3 rows behind the bulkhead, so upfront but not in an exit row) I fly a ton and my dad flies even more though so I can get away with convincing them to change me to seats I like better!
But if you have carseats, they have put you where they will fit (they have often given me a middle/aisle which doesnt work, so its on them to figure out new seats). So if you tell them your carseats wont fit side by side, call them up, and they will let you know if you can switch seats now or at the gate.

Mummy2Summer

Because of the set up on the plane, you might be able to move the seat by the window as close to the window armrest as you can, then the middle seat right up next to it, the middle seat might be slightly 'off center' (maybe an inch), which will move it into YOUR seat a little bit. So it might be uncomfy for you. I used the edge of the seat as an armrest for myself, and Im a small person so it didnt bother me.

But sense you have 2 adults, instead of having to worry about it, I would try and get 2 and 2, and put a kid by each window. I would rearface the 15month old because it will be a lot more comfortable for him and he might actually sleep! I'd say put the FF child behind the RF child, so if they kick, they are only kicking their little brother and not a random stranger. Person in front wont be able to recline their seat, but in all of the many flights I flew with ds when he was RF on the plane, I've NEVER had anyone complain about this (flight attendant can move them if needed OR give the person in front a choice of being kicked, or not being able to recline, and put the younger child RF behind your older child - and this also depends on weather your older child has long enough legs to kick the person in front, and weather or not they are a kicker!) Either way the your little guy can still rearface and be more comfy.

You can call in advance to try and switch seats but sometimes they tell you just to wait, so usually I just switch at the gate. On United they always put families in the back, and sense my ds falls asleep before we leave the runway, I dont want to sit next to other people's kids! So I usually get myself upgraded to the 'reserve seats' (this is 2-3 rows behind the bulkhead, so upfront but not in an exit row) I fly a ton and my dad flies even more though so I can get away with convincing them to change me to seats I like better!
But if you have carseats, they have put you where they will fit (they have often given me a middle/aisle which doesnt work, so its on them to figure out new seats). So if you tell them your carseats wont fit side by side, call them up, and they will let you know if you can switch seats now or at the gate.

thanks for your help!

I just changed my seats online! I don't want the row with the window as then if we need to get out we have to bug the person on the aisle to move... so I took an aisle and a centre on 2 of the rows of 4 :) - so we will have 2 and 2.

I know I can have car seats in the row of 4 in the two centre seats as that is what we did in November and January.

I've been threatened to be kicked off the plane for having DD RFing because she was over the age of 1 (but under 20lbs..she is only now 22lbs at 2.5) but if I sit with DS behind her then its only her seat that can't recline... hmm.. that could work provided he doesn't need the headrest!

I am tempted to upgrade to economy plus but its an extra $600!!

Mummy2Summer

I just upgraded our seats!! we now are in Economy plus.

I don't think DH will mind as the flights were free anyway (I used FF miles) so really we have 5 tickets for $600!

leighi123

I just upgraded our seats!! we now are in Economy plus.

I don't think DH will mind as the flights were free anyway (I used FF miles) so really we have 5 tickets for $600!

:) Using miles is great! My dad flies soooo much that we never have to pay for flights, its really nice!

And I've been yelled had for RF ds on the plane (when he was over 1, but under 22lbs, he is a tiny guy), but I showed them the manual where it says "rearfacing up to 35lbs" and he was obviously under (I just didnt show them the 1 and 22lb FF part), so they had to let me keep him RF.
Behind your dd it shouldnt be an issue, sense his seat wouldnt be bugging anyone!

Mummy2Summer

:) Using miles is great! My dad flies soooo much that we never have to pay for flights, its really nice!

And I've been yelled had for RF ds on the plane (when he was over 1, but under 22lbs, he is a tiny guy), but I showed them the manual where it says "rearfacing up to 35lbs" and he was obviously under (I just didnt show them the 1 and 22lb FF part), so they had to let me keep him RF.
Behind your dd it shouldnt be an issue, sense his seat wouldnt be bugging anyone!

I really appreciate your help! thanks so much!! I can't wait to fly now LOL! mainly because we are finally going home! its been a LONG 5 years!

DD is tiny too she was 18lbs at 1 and at 2.5 is 22lbs with clothes and shoes on :lol: DS on the other hand is 7 months and is 17ish lbs!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC