Question Britax Frontier XT is NOT Frontier 85...

U

Unregistered

My 4.5 year old son is ready to move out of his Marathon and into a larger seat, not because he is at the height/weight limit, but in terms of comfort. I was considering the Frontier 85 as I'd like to keep him in a 5-point harness and high back booster for as long as possible. However, Britax is not bringing the 85 into Canada and the XT is only rated to 65 lbs (no different than my current Marathon). What gives? According to the Britax rep. that I spoke to on the phone, Transport Canada wouldn't approve this car seat above 65 lbs. Is this true? And what is the best alternative available in Canada? Thanks so much!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi and welcome to the forums at Car-Seat.org.

The Frontier XT is the Canadian version of the Frontier 85. You are correct that it only has a 65lb maximum weight limit, however, most kids are both mature enough and old enough for a booster by the time they hit 65lbs. The Frontier XT does have the tallest harness height available in Canada, and since most kids outgrow their seats by height before weight, this is an important factor.

There are seats available for special needs kids and those seats have higher weight limits than 65lbs - but they are available only with a prescription from an OT. For regular seats available in the marketplace, 65lbs is the highest weight allowed under CMVSS 213.

To be quite honest, it is a rare child in Canada who reaches 65lbs before being mature enough to sit properly in a booster. Even in the US it's going to be a rare child who actually needs that higher weight limit - it really only exists for the kids who are young and heavy - in most cases a child would have to be quite obese to be over 65lbs before reaching the age of 5. (Though I know some kids are also tall to go with that weight, but that is an immense exception, most kids weighing that much before age 5 are simply obese.)

The only seat which is really comparable to the Frontier XT is the Graco Nautilus. The Evenflo Maestro also has a tall harness height, but it only has a 47lb weight limit and likely would be outgrown by weight.

If you're happy with how your son fits in the Frontier XT and it fits in your vehicle well and you find it easy enough to use, then I'd stick with your original plan. There are some differences in terms of the Canadian Frontier having additional energy absorbing material in the head area in order for the seat to meet Canadian standards, but in terms of the fit of the child in the seat it is going to be the same. :thumbsup:

canadiangie

My 4.5 year old son is ready to move out of his Marathon and into a larger seat, not because he is at the height/weight limit, but in terms of comfort. I was considering the Frontier 85 as I'd like to keep him in a 5-point harness and high back booster for as long as possible. However, Britax is not bringing the 85 into Canada and the XT is only rated to 65 lbs (no different than my current Marathon). What gives? According to the Britax rep. that I spoke to on the phone, Transport Canada wouldn't approve this car seat above 65 lbs. Is this true? And what is the best alternative available in Canada? Thanks so much!

Hi and welcome :)

If you take a tape measure and go from the bum of your marathon up to the top harness slots you will get roughly 17 inches.

If you do the same to the frontier xt you will get roughly 20 inches.

The 65 lb upper limit on your marathon means the seat has been crashtestwd and approved to that number, not that your child will actually make it to 65lbs. Once his shoulders are level with the top slots of the marathon the seat is outgrown; usually around age 4.5 and around 40-50lbs depending on kid. Now think about the frontier with it's same 65lb limit but having 20 inch top harness slots. Those 3 extra inches tends to mean an additional 3 years use. Translation: about age 6.5+ and easily up into the 50-60 lb range, again depending on kid.

Age 6.5+ is for most kids more than enough time to mature enough to correctly use a booster seat. And a correctly used booster seat with an almost 7 year old child is extremely safe.

Bottom line is the frontier xt's 65 lb harnessing limit and 20 inch top slots is pure excellence in terms of a high weight harnessing seat.if your goal is to harness for "as long as possible" this is your seat.

U

Unregistered

If it's true that a seat won't be approved in Canada above 65 lbs, how can Kiddieproofers sell the Radian 80??

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If it's true that a seat won't be approved in Canada above 65 lbs, how can Kiddieproofers sell the Radian 80??

It is most likely a copy and paste from a US site. We have the RAdian Premier in Canada - 65lb weight limit but has the extra inserts like the Radian 80.

They should really correct their listing, wonder if anyone has ever pointed it out to them before?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC