Driving in wintry weather--what do we need?

mom2juliarose

In 2 weeks we're flying into JFK and driving north to Albany. We're taking the NYS Thruway up, and so the roads should be OK as long as it's not storming. But DH was asking me what we should have in the car to "be prepared" in terms of any emergency. My answer was our cell phones. ;) But honestly, what sort of stuff do you keep in your car to deal with wintry weather? I never drove until I moved out west, so I have no clue. Do you think the rental car company will provide an ice scraper?

ADS

Mama Jo

I always carry heavy-duty hats, gloves, and scarves for everyone in the car. (Usually the kids refuse to actually wear this stuff, so I just keep it in the car for emergency). A blanket, as well. I also have a shovel - in case we get stuck - and an ice scraper. (not sure if car company would provide this - maybe call and ask. I don't think I've ever rented a car in the winter...)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You're coming up my way, kinda. It's been below zero off & on a bit in this region, before windchill. So make sure you all dress in layers. I always suggest bringing fresh water each day & keep a couple days worth of medications on your person just in case. I keep my ice scraper under the front passenger seat with an umbrella.

In my trunk I store extra socks, hats/mittens, dried fruits & nuts, blankets, heat packs (such as from a camping store), cotton balls (for ears if we have to trek in the wind) & of course a typical emergency vehicle kit (jumper cables, cones/flares, flashlight, first aid, Swiss army knife). These are all in a zippered duffle.

The rental company shoul be able to answer any questions about which weather items they might provide for the car.

afdani1984

A list of important phone numbers in case you need to call for help. Find out from your rental car company if they do business with Triple A or a company like it for roadside assistance. Also, an NYS map too just in case you have to make any detours.

Danielle

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC