Boosters, LATCH vs. rigid latch

mamakc

What are the benefits (factual or theoretical) to having a LATCHable booster? Aside from the convenience of not having to keep it buckled in, are there any other benefits? Is rigid latch better than latch straps? Or the other way around? When I put DD in a booster full time someday, I really want something... um... "cooler" than a TB. LOL I'm noticing the higher end (price wise) boosters have rigid latch connectors so I'm curious about what they're good for.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

On the theoretical side -

The Sunshine Kids engineer suggested in the chat here that the Monterey had slightly improved side impact performance when the lower anchors were used.

I believe both Clek and Cybex claim increased side protection with their rigid LATCH seats.

There is a study that shows seatbelted passengers fare better in side impacts when seated next to a harnessed seat. From that the conclusion is drawn that the less you move in a side impact, the better off you are.

The TB might not be "cool" or high-end, but it's pretty much tops as far as good belt fit on the widest range of kids.

mamakc

Oh I know the TB is just fine, I have nothing against it. But the car seat nerd in me wants to own a cybex or something awesome like that ;)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think (although I could be wrong) that the Cybex is the only US booster with rigid LATCH. The other LATCHable boosters have flexible LATCH, so it's a strap (or two straps) like you find on a typical carseat.

IIRC, Rigid LATCH has some benefits in side impact crashes, but there was also a study (Canadian?) that indicated it might have increased abdominal loading. I don't have references for either of those, though. I do know that it has influenced some of us to LATCH our boosters a bit loosely when possible.

mamakc

ah ha that must be the somewhere I read that lol. ;) No, sadly I totally missed that when I read it before LOL

myliljunebugs

It is a bit easier to get latched in tight situations especially. And WAY easier to get back out. Keep in mind, my anchors are buried plus my seats are kind of buckety (not really a word I know LOL). It's just me personally I'm sure. :)

Kat_Momof3

I used to have an olli and a Monterey... I liked both for different reasons as well.

rigid latch is instinctively easier... just push the seat in, listen for clicks, you're good to go.

However, not all vehicles have their latch connectors positioned to make it really truly that easy... so to not have to bend down and squint and carefully push in one side, then the other, I like the flexible latch for vehicles like that.

and... yep.. ANOTHER However... I also think that it would be nice if Clek did as Cybex does and offer the plastic guides for the latch connectors... however, not sure how MUCH easier that makes things for the issue I referred to as you still have to bend down and look where you are putting them... and I doubt anyone would leave the guides there when the seat is not in use... so really doesn't cure the issue.

For removal, I loved the rigid latch... whether it's a strap, or reaching and pushing the two buttons, it's less complicated than the flexible kind where you have to push the lever, maneuver the seat forward, then unhook each one. (this may be less so annoying on the parkway sgl, as it has the push-button latch and the straps are on the side, making it easier to do all that, but still, there's a convenience factor.

Anyway, that's my experience.

I'd love to have latchable boosters for Ruthie, but she didn't fit the Monterey, the olli I had would have probably expired before she'd have ever used it since she's far more petite on the charts than her brothers (though I may splurge and buy her one or two (depending on how doable hanging it in the house and taking it to whatever car she's going in would be) when she eventually outgrows her highback boosters), and I could not afford an Oobr or the Cybex.

The upside to a non-latch booster is that they are typically lighter weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC