reposting - new seat for 3 3/4 year old

R

RDS

Sorry, I must have cut and pasted wrong when I posted earlier!

Our 3 3/4 year old DS is outgrowing his Century car seat in DH's car. Also, we had a very minor side impact crash in that car a couple of weeks ago, and we think we should throw the seat away since they recommend you do that even with a very minor crash.

In my car, we have a Britax Roundabout and he's not outgrowing it yet. He's about 33 pounds, about 38" (I'm going to measure and weigh him again tonight, since we're going car seat shopping tomorrow). In general, on the tallish and slim side. In my mom's car, he rides in the same model Century that DH has, and he is getting too tall for it but it will probably be OK for a little while longer. She has him in the outboard position in her Honda Accord; we have him in the center position in both of our cars.

Meanwhile, I'm torn between 3 Britaxes as to what to get for DH's car. A store near us has Starrisers left, and that might be best for DH's car (a Prius) because he has to take the seat out frequently. The Starriser apparently folds up easily and is very portable. Since the Starriser starts at 30 lbs., DS could go into it now. But I'm not sure because of what I've been reading about kids being safer in the harness. And how do you know if your child is mature enough to sit in a booster? He never sits still at home (he's always bouncing, wiggling, etc.) but he sits well in his car seat.

On the other hand, getting a Wizard for DH's car would be a lot heavier and presumably harder for him to move in and out and stow easily, a lot more expensive (since it's a from-birth seat), and possibly not usable as long because it doesn't look like a "big-kid" seat. But the Wizard would let DS be harnessed longer, and have extra side-impact protection. Since DH's car has side-curtain airbags, and we're putting the seat in the center, I'm not sure how necessary the extra protection is. But if it's a wonderful new advance, I don't like the idea of not using it.

The third choice is we could get a Bodyguard (assuming DS likes it - we'll try it out tomorrow). DH isn't quite as happy about the Bodyguard as a Starriser because it doesn't look like it folds up and stores as easily. If we do that, we'd have to get another harness seat to last him until he reaches 40 pounds. I don't know what to get for a stopgap harness seat if we do that. It might make the most sense, though, if the Bodyguard is much more protective than the Starriser. But again, DH's car has side curtain airbags, so maybe it isn't essential.

And when we eventually replace the RA in my car, I thought we'd get a Bodyguard, but if DS has been using a Starriser in DH's car he may find the Bodyguard too confining?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Sorry this is so long.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I really hesitate to recommend that a child under 40 lbs. ride in a belt positioning booster, especially if a harnessed seat is available that works for the family (I can see using a bpb for infrequent carpool rides, for instance).

Have you considered the Nania Airway? It's a harnessed seat to 50 lbs., then it converts to a belt positioning booster. If your ds isn't in that vehicle on a regular basis, this may be a good alternative. It's lightweight (though not foldable), has that harness to 50 lbs., has tall harness slots and has an open-loop shoulder belt positioner when it's used as a bpb. Perhaps Julie can chip in on how well this seat fits in a Prius. Both Darren and I have epinions on the Airway: http://www.epinions.com/Car_Seat_Specialty_Airway_LX/display_~reviews

You may want to see how ds fits in the Wizard and likes it--those side wings bothered my 3 1/2 yr old when he tried the seat, but that was before they took the foam out to give the child more head room. There's always the Marathon if your ds doesn't like those wings.

Sorry I'm not being of much help :). Sounds like you have a tough decision.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Her Prius is newer than mine <envy, envy>...they redesigned the little gem this year....
However, for grins, the Airway installs really easily with LATCH, but NOT in the center seat, according to Airway instructions, UNLESS the new LATCH anchors are 11 inches apart in the new prius (they are further in the old).

Anywho...not much info, but I couldn't resist saying *something* :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC