Question Thinking about clothe diapering.

remken

I am on my last bag of disposal diapers I had stocked up on before Lilah was born. So I was wondering if I did go to clothe how many would I need?

I really like the style that Keri posted. Just wondering if there are any cheaper?

Eta I don't mind buying used either. Just don't know where to look.

Last edited:
ADS

djma

I learned about most kinds from diaperswappers -- mostly their for sale/trade section. I would go to the kind I wanted (all-in-one, pocket) and look at the threads and then google a particular brand that was listed to learn more about it.

I personally like the all-in-ones or the Flips. I have recently bought a best bottom diaper which is similar to a Flip, but the insert snaps in place. The cover is one-size, but you have to order the insert sized.

What size would you need? I have a 2 small BumGenius all-in-ones you could have FFS. They're in good shape, but the velcro is pilly. No stains either. Just let me know! :D

remken

I would love those if you could take a money order for shipping. ( I no longer have paypal after my account getting hacked) Obviously I will wait for the money order to clear before you send the diapers. If you can do the money order let me know so I know how much to get one for.

Eta also if you don't want to take a money order what about a visa gift card? I think you can buy and use them pretty much anywhere. I've never actually boughten one before so not positive.

TIA Allison

Last edited:

northernmommy

if you're interested in using fitteds, I can make you a few from teh miles of extra flannell etc that I have sitting in my cupboard (free). I was going to make a few to send with the blanket, but didn't know if you used CDs or not :D

remken

if you're interested in using fitteds, I can make you a few from teh miles of extra flannell etc that I have sitting in my cupboard (free). I was going to make a few to send with the blanket, but didn't know if you used CDs or not :D

I'd be very interested in using fitteds. Thank you so much

I only used clothe diapers with dd2 and we had a diaper service that would come once a week to drop off and pick up diapers. The diapers though looked the square diapers that a lot of people use for burp rags and then a cover over it. This was around 17 yrs ago though. So I'm sure diapers have changed a lot since then.

Misty-Bug

I only used clothe diapers with dd2 and we had a diaper service that would come once a week to drop off and pick up diapers. The diapers though looked the square diapers that a lot of people use for burp rags and then a cover over it. This was around 17 yrs ago though. So I'm sure diapers have changed a lot since then.

that is a prefold. That will be what I am using myself from the start

northernmommy

I'll try to get to them this week then :)

Pixels

The first thing you need to know are the basic types of diapers. The ones you used 17 years ago are prefolds and covers. The prefold can either be put on the baby and pinned or Snappied on, or just trifold the prefold and lay it in the cover. Similar to those are systems like the Flips, which use their own insert of some sort and a cover. Same basic idea as trifolding a prefold and laying in. With either, you can reuse the cover if it didn't get pooped on.

At the other end of the spectrum is the all-in-one. It's one piece, with absorbent and cover all sewn together. Just lay baby on the diaper and fasten (velcro or snaps). These can be more difficult to get clean and take longer to dry because one side of the absorbent layer is waterproof and water and air can't flow through.

In between are pocket diapers. These are two pieces, a shell and insert. The shell is basically a cover, with an extra layer. There is a pocket that lets you stuff the insert in between the layers. To use them, you stuff the pocket with whatever you're using for absorbency, then use it like an all in one. When you take the diaper off, un-stuff the pocket and throw it all in the wash. Some people stuff as they are changing the diapers. I prefer to stuff as they come out of the wash, which lets us use them like AIOs. I like pockets because I can change the absorbency as DD's needs change, and they wash up easily and dry quickly.

There are some other types of diapers but those are the three big categories.

Diapers (covers, pockets, and AIOs) either have snaps or velcro-like closure. Personally, I prefer snaps. Velcro (often called Aplix, another brand name for hook and loop) style can become pilly and if you don't use the laundry tabs, you can end up with a long diaper chain when you pull it out of the laundry. Velcro also wears out and needs to be replaced. I've heard that velcro provides a better fit for little babies, and snaps for toddlers. I only have experience with CDing a toddler so far. When I first started CDing, I bought 2 snaps and 2 Aplix to try and see which I liked better.

The other decision to make is one-size or sized. A one-size system has snaps on the front of the diaper to adjust the rise. Some people prefer a sized system because they feel it gives a better fit.

As for how many, for a newborn, if you're washing every 2-3 days then 30ish.

chelsey

30 wow:eek: I guess I need to buy more:eek: ok what to do with the dirty diapers???Do I put them in the water and keep them there until I wash them or just like regular laundry in the laundry basket??? Do I need a special detergent to wash them or Draft is fine?

remken

Which is easier for you to make. If they are both the same whatever is easier to use, since I change 99.9% of her diapers. I'm on my phone right now so hopefully I make sense.

northernmommy

It's just a matter of adding more snaps and making the dipes a bit bigger for the one size. They'll be a bit more bulkyon her when she's small, but you won't have to buy more dipes when she grows. It's a toss up :) Neither is really that much more work than the other, so no worries there.

MoreLatte

30 wow:eek: I guess I need to buy more:eek: ok what to do with the dirty diapers???Do I put them in the water and keep them there until I wash them or just like regular laundry in the laundry basket??? Do I need a special detergent to wash them or Draft is fine?
nak~
For a noob, you do need quite a few. I used disposables for a couple of weeks. Now that DD is two months old, I have 18 fitteds and 6 AIOs that I use regularly that is plenty, I have prefolds bt only use them if I'm behind on washing.

I use a medium-sized garbage can with a flip-top lid. Put a wet-bag in it(mine is Planet Wise brand and holds odor in well) and just put all dirty diapers in it til wash day. If my covers don't have poo on them, i wipe them out and reuse a few times before washing. No need to rinse poopy ones.

I wash every 2-3 days. Just take the whole wetbag to the washer and dump dipes in by turning it inside out. The wetbag goes in with the dipes. Do a cold wash without detergent then a hot wash with detergent and an extra rinse. You want a detergent that doesn't have dyes or perfumes. I use Bum Genious but I know a lot of people use Tide or All free and clear. It was trial and error for me- All gave the diapers stink, so I switched to BG and its working well. Prefolds and fitteds go in the dryer, some AIOs can too. Covers are hung to dry. Oh, and never use fabric softener or dryer sheets, they will cause dipes to leak.

Janina

I use Fuzzi Bunz for 19 months already and have had the most sucess with regular Tide (HE in my case) and wash them HOT. I tried country save detergent and got the stinkies. Depending on the kind of washing machine you have, you may have to play around with how much detergent to use to balance getting them clean adn stink free versus getting detergent buildup. If you have hard well water, I recommend adding calgon with your detergent to help remove all the detergent from the diapers each time you wash them.

djma

I would love those if you could take a money order for shipping. ( I no longer have paypal after my account getting hacked) Obviously I will wait for the money order to clear before you send the diapers. If you can do the money order let me know so I know how much to get one for.

Eta also if you don't want to take a money order what about a visa gift card? I think you can buy and use them pretty much anywhere. I've never actually boughten one before so not positive.

TIA Allison

PM'd ya! :D

zeo2ski

I use a medium-sized garbage can with a flip-top lid. Put a wet-bag in it(mine is Planet Wise brand and holds odor in well) and just put all dirty diapers in it til wash day. If my covers don't have poo on them, i wipe them out and reuse a few times before washing. No need to rinse poopy ones.

Just to clarify, EBF poo doesn't need to be rinsed off the diapers, but once they start eating solid foods, you do need to "dump solids" in the toilet. Some of my kids had/have ones that are never dumpable, so I use a sprayer but you can use a spatula to scrape it off, or dunk. Also, formual fed babies I've heard some people don't rinse the poo, some do. I did spray with my FF baby.

MoreLatte

Yes, I should have clarified that! Lol I'm not sure about FF baby poo either. I can say that I'm not really looking forward to dumping/scraping when DD starts solids. A friend of mine says she just swishes hers in the toilet and sometimes leaves it to soak. I could just see one of my kids flushing a cloth diaper. Lol

Janina

Yeah. I couldnt live without my diaper sprayer either.
I got mine from this website

http://www.minishower.net/ and opted for the faucet hookup as it gives access to hot water if needed and less acessability for toddlers to use it to spray water all over the bathroom as they can't reach the faucet to turn the valve. Plus it doubles as a shower cleaner/child rinser and bidet if you decide to have more children :D
It comes with a pretty long tube and you can always get a longer one at Lowes or HD if you wanted.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC