Carseat for a tall child ERFing in a small backseat?

cassandralh

I drive an 04 Jeep liberty and the backseat is very small. My son is 21 months RFing in a Britax roundabout right now. The seat is in the middle and comes right through the two front seats. He is VERY uncomfortable RFing in this. I have it reclined all the way back so he has more leg room, but he is all scrunched up. I think it is because the seat of the jeep is so upright.

I tried a friends radian and it came up so far into the front seat that it was right next to my face and he was still pretty scrunched up. That seat is def a no go.

I want to keep him RFing for as long as possible, but it is so hard with the jeep. The roundabout works great for my husbands car because his backseat isn't as upright so he has more leg room.

So my basic question.. What seat would work best to give my son more legroom? I also need a seat that isn't so tall that it will be near my face. Width isn't an issue because he is the only one in the backseat.

Thanks! :)

ADS

Kobain's Mommy

Do you have a babiesrus near by? I'd try a Complete Air or Radian. I'm not sure of the Radian's recline but I got our Complete Air in the back of an extended cab pickup.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
The Britax seats have *NO* ERF leg room... To get the seat out of your shoulder area, you can install it more upright, This works better with almost any other seat than a Britax...

cassandralh

We have a babies r us about an hour away. Are we allowed to take the carseats to the car to see how they would fit?

I'll look up the complete air. Thanks!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yes, BRU stores generally allow you take a floor model out to your car to do a test install in the parking lot if you leave your driver's license at the customer service desk. I've also heard that some locations will have an employee accompany you outside. Just be sure to ask first and find out the store's specific policy. :)

icnee

Does he ride with his shoes on? if so then taking them off may make it more comfy for him. My kids do not like to ride with their shoes on.

I would also suggest the Complete Air. It has a nice tall shell and plenty of leg room. It also installs upright pretty easy with out taking up the leg space.

cassandralh

I generally take his shoes off unless we are running errands and going to be getting in and out of the car a lot.

I'll be making a trip to BRU next weekend I guess. Thanks for the suggestion!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC