Lightweight HBB for air travel?

traveling5

First of all I wanted to say that I've been lurking and occasionally posting as a guest for the last four years and have been so thankful for the great info on here over the years! I figured it was time to register.

Over the holidays we flew for the first time as a family of five and I decided it was time to simplify our car seats for travel. My oldest was in a FPSV (size of a Marathon) and with another convertible and an infant seat, it was just too much weight and bulk unless absolutely necessary. We are flying again next month and I would like to put her in a HBB. I am debating between a Turbobooster vs Evenflo Big Kid but am open to others.

Here's what I have:
4.5 y/o 42#, 44 inches tall
Usually rides in SKR80, Marathon or GN
I plan to keep her harnessed as long as possible as a rule, but I am okay with using a HBB with seatbelt for occasional use. It would also be nice to have around for riding with friends, etc. (the GN lives in Grandma's car so its not readily available without advance notice).

And just so you know what is coming down the line:
2.5 yr old 32#, 37 inches tall--travels FF in a Safety first Ave

6 mos old--Graco SS so he can travel in that for quite some time.

When we travel we are always in a van (either my parents' or a rental) so no worries about three across or anything.

Thanks!

ADS

Kat_Momof3

what about picking up a ride safer travel vest?? they are perfect for traveling and don't expire!
http://www.bizrate.com/rd?t=http://...af_creative_id=6&af_id=5166&af_placement_id=1

Otherwise, maybe an evenflo maestro (in another year or two, when she's a little older and a little more ready, she could pass it down to the 2.5 yr old, who will probably be outgrowing the Avenue by then)... it's super lightweight (about the same as the Avenue), has 18" slots, a 50lb limit, and is under 100 dollars.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Maestro-Booster-Car-Seat-Abby/15566902

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Moved to the Special Needs and Other Transportation section since you're looking into air travel carseat options. :) I see you have a Radian which although heavy folds for travel, and you could consider bringing it if you don't find the weight daunting, possibly using its carrying strap to carry it over a shoulder or using two straps to carry it backpack style. The Radian doesn't install well on planes rear facing due to its recline foot and fairly deep rear facing recline angle, but it's pretty forward facing installation friendly on plane seats and allows use of the plane seat's tray. I found our Radian's weight daunting enough that I've never traveled with it, though, and prefer to use the Ride Safer Travel Vest as suggested earlier by Kat for my now 5 year old for our last several plane trips when she was 3, 4, or 5 years old. You can't use the Ride Safer Travel Vest on board the plane because it requires a top tether anchor when used with a lap-only belt and plane seats are lap-belt equipped only and lack top tether anchors, but it tucks nicely into a backpack or carry-on bag and can be used in a vehicle at your destination. It can be used either with a lap-only belt if it's top tethered, or with a lap-shoulder which doesn't require a top tether in the vehicle. We also used a Cosco Scenera convertible as travel seat when my now 5 year old was still rear facing as a toddler because it's easy to carry or plop onto a stroller to wheel through the airport, and it's packaged in its own see-through plastic carrying bag that can serve as a travel bag for it.

aeormsby

I agree with Kat's suggestions. One other that you could look at (as long as you'll be riding in vehicles with Latch) would be the Safety 1st Go. We have a Go (safeguard version) that we use for travel for my DD and an Uptown (older version of the Avenue) for my DS and it's nice to have small, lightweight seats.

If you just want an easier seat for flying (not for day-to-day use) I'd probably look at the vests. Even smaller to travel with than the Go, and probably less quirky.

Jennifer mom to my 7

If you do prefer to use a hight back booster, and will be able to let her take some test runs in it to make sure she will sit correctly, not move, bend over, move the belt, etc, I would try the turbo. I think the back can be packed in a suitcase, and the bottom I think can be stored in the overhead bin of the plane.

Now, with that said, I don't think at 4.5 my dd would have been ready to try it. When I would try her for fit in boosters for fun, she would move around and then try to get out of the belt. By 5 though, she seemed more calm and able to follow my directions on how to sit. Of course, she still has only ridden in a booster a couple of times, as most of our trips are over 90 minutes, and she still sleeps in the car.

Other wise, what the other ladies have suggested would work, too.

Chris

Of course using a 5pt option is ideal, but the turbobooster is the better (IMO) of the two affordable HBB you mentioned. They tend to feel sturdier, have more padding, and the fabrics seem to wear better. Just make sure that you put in the armrest screws if you get one ( I didn't know the screws existed until something like 4 yrs after we bought ours...yikes!!).

Also, be aware that for travel the turbobooster has a tendency to flip open and separate. It is meant to do this so that you can use it as a backless, but it can be a pain when it does it on accident. Basically you always have to support the base and the back so that they don't flip open. They may have done something recently to keep it from happening in the newer ones, but my older model and all of the our cousins slightly more recent versions do the same thing. I don't know about other brands doing this, but I can see that it would potentially be a problem with almost any seat that converts easily to a backless booster. I would definitely pick up the store model and try carrying it around a bit to see if it is really saving you any trouble, or possibly going to be just as much hassle.

traveling5

I was actually coming back to ask about the Safeguard Hybrid Go and then someone suggested it. While its a bit more than I'd like to spend, since we have three kids under the age of five there will pretty much always be a kid who needs it until it expires.

I looked at the travel vest, but I think my DD would do better in a belted booster at this point. She is finicky and my husband is impatient--the chances of those two getting her in and out if on a regular basis seems pretty low.

Thanks for your thoughts! I'm still debating the Turbobooster. I think she'd be fine in a belted booster for short trips as I'm really only worried about being fit properly when she falls asleep. But since I do have two more coming down the pipe I'm guessing my 2.5 year old will be at least 6-7 by time he's mature enough to nix the harness so I'm probably better off just getting the Maestro or Safeguard Hybrid now and then passing it on to him in a couple years.

Thanks for helping me think this through!

DaniChildcare

Just tossing in, that i've had a 4.5yo in a turbo booster (with gracopedic padding) and he slept well in it, didn't slump forward or anything like that. Depends on the build of the kid of course, but the turbo worked well for him, especially since i was only driving him 30 minutes most of the time.

I like the turbo way better than the Evenflo

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have a graco turbo hbb. Ds2 got it last summer for dh truck. He will turn 5 in march, 55# and 46". The truck seats are very straight. He sleeps great in the truck. Stays in position wonderfully.

If you get the turbo, pack the back in your checked luggage between some clothes and carry the lbb part on board. Then if your luggage gets lost you still have a seat for her.

Also have her try it out ahead of time. Give her some practice time.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC