question about torso growth

jjordan

If a child has a torso of about 15" at age 2 yrs 4 months, do you think a seat with 18-18.5" top harness slots (maestro/prosport/nautilus) will last the child to a safe booster age?

Asking for a friend whose 2 yr 4 mo kid is at the top harness slots of her roundabout (listed as 15.5" on the carseat measurement spreadsheet).

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences/expertise!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think so, yeah. That is kind of young to be outgrowing the Roundabout, but he's also at the age where typically legs do most of the growing, so if she's good with harnessing till 5ish, those should do the trick. If mom and dad are just super-tall folks and this 'little' guy is expected to grow a lot more, fast, then the Frontier 85 is going to be a safer bet to keep him harnessed to that age. :)

jjordan

The mom is tall, I don't know her exact height, maybe 5'10"-ish? (Everybody looks tall to me! :)) The dad is 6'5" and mom says he is proportionally longer in the torso. (Yikes! Holy long torso genes!) So... I'm thinking the frontier 85 is a safer bet, but I'll tell mom that she has at least a chance with one of the shorter seats. Thanks very much!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it's a good bet that if you (and even taller people, lol) are looking UP at this couple, they are going to need the tallest seat they can find/afford :) (and they are probably in for it when buying shoes, as well.... those'll make even a Frontier seem cheap for how long it'll last, being the tallest booster on the market, too ;)).

kalamos23

My 2.5 yo has a torso height of 15 in or so, I am planning on getting the frontier 85 for her, and moving her out of her radian once the baby gets here or soon after. Your friends 2yo is probably on the heavier side just being taller, so I would think you aren't going to have much time left rfing even in a radian, so I'd get the frontier and turn him/her at the limits of the seat.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah I think she has at least a chance. My kid had a super long torso and outgrew the Marathon before 3, but now at 5.5 still has just a smidgen of room in the Nautilus.

Spam

My 2.5 yr old is on the top slots of ProSport already. I know he will most likely need another seat. I plan to buy the fr85 and maybe the new first years b830 when it comes out.

Kat_Momof3

my dd had that torso at that age... outgrew the Marathon by 4, but lasted in the Nautilus until 2wks before age 6... and her torso hasn't grown since... she's almost 7... aka... they start growing legs at some point... all Ruthie's new height has been legs and if she continues, by age 8, she's gonna be leggy!

JOII

My son had a similar size torso around that age, I thought I'd have to get him the regent, only for height, but its only grown about an inch since. His legs are the only thing that grows anymore, he is so so leggy. All kids are different :)

jjordan

Thanks for all the input. Guess it really just depends on when they start growing legs, and with this particular kid, she may always be in the very-long-torsoed set. I think the mom has a pretty good idea of what her options are, so she can decide what to buy based on what she's comfortable with. Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC