So all you stroller collectors...

urchin_grey

Help me out. I know nothing of good strollers. What are some strollers good for urban living? Something that won't be a pain to drag down stairs or occasionally onto a bus? Bram is 5.5 but teeny and can't walk very well yet so a really good stroller will be a must. Storage underneath would be good too in case we walk to the grocery store for a few things. I'm on a budget, but I don't mind spending what I need to for a really good one, as long as its not like... more than my rent. :p

ADS

christineka

Help me out. I know nothing of good strollers. What are some strollers good for urban living? Something that won't be a pain to drag down stairs or occasionally onto a bus? Bram is 5.5 but teeny and can't walk very well yet so a really good stroller will be a must. Storage underneath would be good too in case we walk to the grocery store for a few things. I'm on a budget, but I don't mind spending what I need to for a really good one, as long as its not like... more than my rent. :p

I got my stroller off of/ baby earth's gaga deals. There are frequently strollers up. Once you find a few that would be good, you might get lucky. I paid $33 for mine:)

crunchierthanthou

I'd probably do a Mac Techno or Quest. That's what our friends who lived in NYC had- as did about half the people we passed when we were there visiting them.

I love my BJ City Elite (and walk at least 1.5 miles with it daily), but I wouldn't want to be hopping on and off the bus with it. the City Mini would probably be better for that, but if you're going for small fold, stick with an umbrella. :twocents:

I don't know how many groceries your could fit in any of those baskets. I always wear a backpack to the grocery store. Although, I can fit more than you would think in the dinky basket. The newer models are supposed to have bigger/more accessible ones, too.

The BOB revolution has a better basket, but it's similar in bulk to the the BJCE.

The Mountain Buggy Urban has the best basket of all, IMO, but again, not a hop on the bus kind of stroller.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I would love to suggest a bugaboo bee plus to you, but that would be more than your rent;) But it is ergonomic enough to throw over your shoulder when folded and at around 18-19 pounds, light enough to carry that way. Plus, it is reversible, and the one thing that annoys me is if I have a kid in a forward facing stroller, and I want to have a conversation! Really hard sometimes if they are facing away from you under a canopy!

http://www.bugaboo.com/learn/bugaboo-bee?id=6010

So, next up would be a maclaren. Sturdy, umbrella fold, light weight, several models.

Probably a triumph, since I don't think you need a full recline. Basket is decent, and you can get an organizer to hang off the handles as well.

http://www.albeebaby.com/maclaren-triumph-strollers.html

ntrenary

I agree with Maclaren! Out of all the strollers I've had maclarns are still my fav!
ETA: look for them on Craigslist. I always see them listed on my CL.

urchin_grey

Ooh I like the Bugaboo. :love: Being able to turn him around to face me would be really handy too, since he uses ASL to communicate. I could get it, but I should probably hold on to most of my savings until I actually get a job there. :whistle: So maybe a cheaper one now, the Bugaboo later. :D

I like the Maclarens too though. Especially because they are so light.

The basket isn't really top priority though. There are some grocery stores very close by that I might go to if I needs just a few things, but Whole Foods is a mile away, so I'll probably just go there for bigger shopping (and just drive).

autumnlily

There is the Phil & Ted Smart stroller and it has an attachment you can purchase to make the seat reversible. I'd have to play with the fold again to remember if it is smooth at all.

The Maclaren would be nice too!

I had the Bee in mind but it's a hefty price tag :eek:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Ooh I like the Bugaboo. :love: Being able to turn him around to face me would be really handy too, since he uses ASL to communicate. I could get it, but I should probably hold on to most of my savings until I actually get a job there. :whistle: So maybe a cheaper one now, the Bugaboo later. :D

I like the Maclarens too though. Especially because they are so light.

The basket isn't really top priority though. There are some grocery stores very close by that I might go to if I needs just a few things, but Whole Foods is a mile away, so I'll probably just go there for bigger shopping (and just drive).

since I wasn't the only one... keep an eye on craiglist and ebay for a bee... might be worth a shot:)

lovinwaves

My Target had two Maclaren Volos for $49 today. That would be great in your weather because it's mesh and will allow more breathing through the stroller and keep Bram cooler. Quick and easy fold, light weight, and it comes with a shoulder strap!

Polola0628

It's not ritzy or anything, no crazy bells and whistles... but this was the best stroller in the world. Ever. In the universe. :)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kolcraft-Liberty-Limited-Terrain-Stroller/dp/B001V7QUAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295422721&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Kolcraft Jeep Liberty Limited 3 Wheel All Terrain Stroller: Baby[/ame]

it is NOT as ugly as it is in the picture. The weird steering wheel thing is removable.

The storage basket is HUGE! I could easily fit $150 worth of groceries in there. The basket itself has two openings, one at your child's feet and one at the back of the stroller where it normally is. If your kid drops a cup, toy, whatever, it will most likely fall in the basket and won't get lost :)

It rides really well on rough terrain. I live in Chicago. This thing was even pretty OK on the beach! I live in a basement apartment and had to lug it up and down and sideways and.. you get it :) It wasn't terribly hard and was super easy to fold.

They have some other colors available but i've found that the other colors don't have the cool storage basket :)

It fit easily in my husband's 98 jetta's trunk... where it ended up getting crashed... *waah*

erikanohelani

Yeah, I definitely will. So far I haven't found much on my CL yet. Mostly travel systems with a few BOB and P&T joggers. Who jogs in New Orleans?? LOL

You live in New Orleans? I live in MS and we go to NO at least a few times a year. Recently, we took a trip with our 3 1/2 son in a Baby Jogger City Mini. It was a dream to use in NO because it is easy to push. The streets aren't paved well in some areas and the BJ handled it nicely!

We also took this stroller on our Disney World trip and the easy fold came in handy when riding the train and shuttle.

spiderangs

So, next up would be a maclaren. Sturdy, umbrella fold, light weight, several models.

Probably a triumph, since I don't think you need a full recline. Basket is decent, and you can get an organizer to hang off the handles as well.

http://www.albeebaby.com/maclaren-triumph-strollers.html

Yea this... I own Maclaren Triumph for almost 4 years and it's still strong. Been flying with this stroller twice to NY.. travel to California many times... used it to Disneyland.. you name it all. Carrying strap is very helpful as well.

urchin_grey

No Volos at my Target, nor at the one in the next town over. :( In fact, most of their strollers were gone!

You live in New Orleans? I live in MS and we go to NO at least a few times a year. Recently, we took a trip with our 3 1/2 son in a Baby Jogger City Mini. It was a dream to use in NO because it is easy to push. The streets aren't paved well in some areas and the BJ handled it nicely!

We also took this stroller on our Disney World trip and the easy fold came in handy when riding the train and shuttle.

I'm across the lake from NO right now, but that's where I'm planning on moving. Well, actually the apartment I want is in Metairie, but everything is still in walking distance. And its just a short bus ride to downtown and the zoo and all that.

I am liking the City Mini the more I look at it too! I REALLY like the one handed fold because Bram isn't so great at walking yet (he has a joint deformity/low tone) so it would be really great to be able to just fold it up in one motion while holding on to him. And you are right about the streets there, some of them are ancient. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC