Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado

Kayleen

Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado- Update 3rd post!

Update in 3rd post!

--------------------------

Has anyone done 3 across in a Larado? What seats do you use?

I have the opportunity to buy a 2008? with ~30k miles. Right now we are a family of 4 (15yo DSD and 3yo DD in Graco Nautulus). Just a few days ago DH sprung it on me that he would be open to having another baby if I can get the mortgage refinanced to a fixed rate instead of the ARM so we can afford to live. So now potentially we could be a family of 5 before DSD graduates. We generally don't travel more than an hour away, but my family is 5-6 hours away and its a long haul. I can't say for sure that DSD would never come with to see my family, so I don't know if I even need to worry about 3 across for longer then an hour or two.

Thoughts/opinions on that vehicle? Currently it does not have DVD player installed, but we only use that for longer trips (2+ hours). DSD would have to be on the outside becuase she would not tolerate being between two seats. Currently we have GN or Maestro as our seats. I'm considering a convertible seat for potential new babe in the future instead of a bucket seat.

I'm thinking a minivan would be the way to go and keep everyone happy. I currently have a Pontiac Montana with 95k miles and we are looking to get a newer vehicle before anything goes wrong with this one.

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

Did you decide to buy the Larado? I have no experience with that vehicle, but you probably could get 3 kids back there with the right seats for the two younger kids.

Kayleen

Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado - update!

I did buy it. Meant to do an update, just hadn't gotten to it yet.

The way the back seat is designed (60/40 split bench), I should be able to get two carseats side by side back there if need be (probably with the seatbelts). The seat bottom flares out towards the doors so DSD would be able to sit comfortable enough. There are 3 tethor anchors and two outside latch. The center needs a seatbelt which is clearly marked on the seatbelt.

Does anyone know what the latch weight limits are on graco nautilus/graco seats and the Jeep Laredo? Since DD is only ~30# I have time, but would like to know for future.

I did give up a few perks by getting rid of the Pontiac Montana, but I really wanted a lower mile vehicle. I still have cargo space, but not as much vertical space as the van had (since the seats could come out). Once we get the autostart put in and the back driver's door fixed (won't lock/unlock electrically at all) then I will by much happier with the vehicle. Right now having to put DD in on the passenger side seems so backwards to me since i have always had her on the driver's side. We miss the DVD player but we do have a portable one that we can set up when we need it. Not a big deal. I miss the large consoles for storage though. I have to get my garbage container put in so that I have a place to put garbage.

It's weird that so many newer vehicles today don't have key locks anymore. Matter of fact this vehicle doesn't have a key for the ignition at all, just a square fob that you put in and turn. Funkiest thing i have ever seen. The key is actually stored in the fob for when it's needed, but you cannot see it when it's stored. The only key lock on this jeep is the driver's door only. And the manual door locks are on the farthest back part of the seat so you can't reach them from the front door. Already had to teach the 3yo DD to unlock the other door since I didn't want to crawl in to reach it. She's smart, caught on right away. She can't see it when she's in her seat so I shouldn'thave to worry about her unlocking it then (out of sight, out of mind).

Anyway, I'm liking the vehicle. DH likes it much more than the van too. We both have bad backs so these seats are more comfortable to us. The van cradles more, but that doesn't support our backs enough so the flatter seats help. The Jeep turns really nicely too. Only about 2 feet shorter than the van was, so it fits nicely in our garage.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Jeeps have a 48 lb. child weight limit for using the lower LATCH anchors to install a carseat and so does the Graco Nautilus. The Grand Cherokee allows you to do either two outboard LATCH installs, or a single center rear LATCH installation by borrowing the innermost lower LATCH anchor from each outboard set if the carseat has flexible lower LATCH straps and if the carseat manufacturer allows borrowing of lower LATCH anchors spaced 480 mm apart. Graco however doesn't allow borrowing to do a center LATCH install so you'll need to install the Nauti with the seatbelt if you do a center installation, and using seatbelts to install carseats side by side or 3 carseats across usually buys you more room than using LATCH to install. Congrats on your new wheels. :)

Kayleen

Good to know! Essentially DD could be using LATCH until she is ready for a HB Booster - Crazy but true! Thanks for the info!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have one :)

I got a three across with a Graco Nautilus outboard driver side, a RF Radian 80 in the middle, and a Evenflo Big Kid booster behind the passenger.

I've also gotten one with a RF Graco Comfort Sport, driver a Graco Snugride middle, and a Graco Turbobooster (HB) passenger.

Kayleen

That's good to know. I know I won't have to do more than 2 carseats side by side and not any time soon, but its nice to know it's possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC