WWYD? Another 3 across question

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
We currently have 2 Radians FF and a KeyFit 30 RF on the passenger side of our 2010 Prius. It's tight, but it works. My sister is due with her baby at the end of March. I want to give her the KeyFit and find a convertible for our car. A RF Radian is not an option because it pushes the front seat too far forward for anyone to be able to sit there.

My kids:
Kira FF/booster - 5y, ~50 lbs (prefer harness, will consider booster)
Leah FF - 3y, ~33 lbs
Jenna RF - 6.5 months, 19.5 lbs

I was thinking about getting a Coccoro. It's the same width as the KeyFit base, so I'm pretty sure it would fit. The only problem is that I want to keep Jenna RF past 33 lbs, so we will need another convertible when she hits 33 lbs. She's 6.5 months and 19.5 lbs right now. If she stays on the same growth curve, she should hit 33 lbs at just over 2 years old. Maybe they will have better seats out then?

The other thing I was thinking about is to just get my sister one of the smaller cheaper infant carriers for her baby and pass the KeyFit to her once Jenna outgrows it. This option would be cheaper than the Coccoro, but I would be looking for a convertible a lot sooner. And if my only option then is to buy a Coccoro, it will end up costing me more money in the long run.

Before I do either of those, I have one more configuration to try. I bought 2 Safety1st Go's thinking that the soft back would allow more options for RF convertibles. Kira doesn't fit in the Go, she's too tall. I'm going to try: FF Radian drivers (K), FF Go center (L), and RF MyRide passenger (J). The MyRide has a narrow base, so I'm hoping that the Go's base will fit under the MyRide's flared sides.

If the Radian/Go/MyRide doesn't work, what would you do?

ADS

Pixels

What about RFing Radian in the center? It will usually fit between and over the front seats, allowing them to move back more.

amyd

What about RFing Radian in the center? It will usually fit between and over the front seats, allowing them to move back more.

That's what I would try too. Maybe just a basic 65 or 80 so you're not dealing with the extra width of the headwings on the XTSL. If that doesn't work, I think my next choice would be a new Britax if it'll puzzle well. If not, a My Ride.

Pixels

The 65, 80, and XT all have the same outer dimensions. The headwings on the XT models are inside the shell of the seat, and don't make it any wider.

amyd

Pixels said:
The 65, 80, and XT all have the same outer dimensions. The headwings on the XT models are inside the shell of the seat, and don't make it any wider.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. It just seems wider to me, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Pm oxeye. She's done radians rear facing in a prius :)

:yeahthat: You can find her installs in the three-across thread. I know it's been discussed around here. Do you live near another tech or advocate who could provide you with a second set of hands?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC