Not too happy with the advice from my drs office

Athena

I don't know.. I mean they are part of keeping our kids safe. My Dr has the poster in every room with the 4 points of car safety for kids. Rear facing, forward facing, booster, and when they are able to sit in a car seat alone.

I think a good ped will check on certain milestones and car seats are not that different.

When my cousin took her DD to the ped for the first time at 10 days.. The dr asked if she had a seat and that she should keep her rear facing for 2 years minimum.. That is not a bad thing in my book!

I agree. To me, this is clearly a medically related topic. In addition, just about every kid sees a doctor, whereas few see techs, so this is a great opportunity. I'm not saying they should be out there installing the seats, only that they should, at the least, pass along their own medical associations recommendations about best practice, the way they do on many medically related topics (e.g. nutrition, screen time). A good pediatrician isn't just a doctor, but a parenting resource. They help with sleep and other behavioral issues, so why not the leading cause of childhood deaths? :twocents:

ADS

wvmommy007

My bff is studying to be a PA. She intends to practice women's health. I have already brainwashed her about ERF. :D I told her she would be in great position to get the word out to pregnant women. I hope she does, and they actually listen.

I think medical professionals should at least know, and preach, the AAP recs. My ped. has asked if my DD is rear facing once at her 6 month check. She just had her 1 year and she didn't say anything. My DD is only about 17.5 lbs. though. And I may have given her a copy of the USAA car seat booklet and reorder form at her 9 month check.:whistle: I think she already knows I'm "one of those crazies". :D

Qarin

I am not seeing why anyone is up in arms about this.

Everything the Physicians Assistant said was true.

Most seats being used harness to 40lbs. When someone comes to me with a 4'4" tall, 52lb 4 year old and says, "oh, no, don't worry, his seat goes to 80lbs!" I'm going to think, "uh oh, someone has misread or misremembered about their AOE or combination set... it boosters to 80lbs." That you're one of the 1% of folks who know otherwise, that there is a seat which can harness your very large 4 year old, is unexpected. Even the older 65lb seats, the ones which have been around a while, could not have been expected to harness a 4'4" tall child.

A 4'4" tall 52lb 4 year old more than meets the basic requirements for boostering, and it doesn't sound like the PA was especially uniformed or argumentative at all, just concerned that you were stuffing your child (who is the size of a 50th percentile 8.5 year old boy) into an Graco Comfortsport or something. She was concerned for your child's vehicle safety in the car.

I'm glad you explained that you were not endangering your son's life, and told her about car seats she might not have known about.

Morganthe

..we saw the new Physians assistant. She asked if ds was in a booster. I told him no he is still harnessed. She said it was time to move him to the booster as he met all the requirements for a booster. I told her there was no way he was ready for a booster.

She should of realized this as she saw him climbing and jumping all over me as she asked questions.

She said he fit all the criteria. I told her yes he was big enough, the kid is the size of a 6 year. He is 51.5 lbs and 52 inches.

But that he didn't fit the criteria of sitting properly in one. There was no way he would sit still long enough to sit properly in it. SHe then told me that he most likely has already out grown his carseat and would have to be changed. I told her that he is a seat that harnesses to 80 lbs and will hopefully fit him for a few more years. She obviously had little experience with car seats as she told me most are outgrown at 40 lbs.

I nicely informed her that that used to be the case but now there are many car seats that harness to higher weights and told her some of them (nautilus, MA, CA, myride, radian, regent, frontier) Hopefully she will now let some of the other patients know this. I think she thought i was a quack when i told her my 6.5 year old just moved to a booster and that was only because ds outgrew the MA.

I don't think the PA necessarily had little experience with carseats. The vast majority of seats Americans use HAVE traditionally had a 40lb weight limit. Plus many parents have wrongly believed that the 3-in-1 harnessed/booster seats, meant that the 80lb limit WAS the limit of the harnessed seat.

I honestly believe the conversation would have taken a different step and tone, if you had mentioned your Brand/Style name and the specific weight it went to as a harnessed seat. Instead of generalities, be specific.

I think your PA was very informed with the general habitual practice of likely the majority of the parents in the region & state & nation. It was a missed lesson in the "new" seats that have really only emerged in the past 2-3 years.

jmho.

ETA: Your 4 year old child is larger than the average 6 year old by far. Mine is 7 years, 51-51" and is tall for her age. You're in a highly unusual situation. Be very happy you have alternatives these days that weren't happening a few years ago. DD had only the option of a Regent. Limited market until recently.

Qarin

Just an addendum. I went looking, because I was so shocked by the 52" number for him that I wondered if it was a typo- I found that you mentioned he was 45" in November:

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1509064&postcount=5

Which is a lot more like "the size of a 6yo". In any case, the rest of my post still stands (with the possible exception that he might still fit in a Marathon); he meets the minimum requirements for boostering and has far surpassed the weight limits of most car seat harnesses in use today, and it is not shocking or irresponsible for a medical professional to mention this at a checkup.

Remember that most 4 year olds are boostered if they're lucky. The current fight is still to get kids into seats at all.

Athena

When someone comes to me with a 4'4" tall, 52lb 4 year old and says, "oh, no, don't worry, his seat goes to 80lbs!" I'm going to think, "uh oh, someone has misread or misremembered about their AOE or combination set... it boosters to 80lbs."

But you'd ask them what seat they have and not just assume they must be ignorant, right? Sounded like the PA just assumed. Plus, I've read here about what a problem it is to booster too early, yet the PA was pushing to booster a child who was not ready instead of discussing options. I think I would have felt similarly had I been in the OP's situation. That's why I was, "up in arms." ;)

Kobain's Mommy

The only thing my Dr has said "He stil rear facing?" When I told him "Till he's 30." I thought the Dr was going to wet himself from laughing so hard, then replied "Good! Keep him safe."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC