Help me think this through

scoutingbear

Update on post 21
'
Starting next week, the kids will have a nanny when I go back to work. She drives a 2 door car with 3 seatbelts in the back, but not a lot of room to play with ikywim. C and M will ride in the car almost every day. A will be in the car at least once a week if I can get him rides home from school. I am trying to buy the least amount of seats but have the most amount of flexibility as to who can pick up the kids from different activities without having to leave seats everywhere. The outboard seats have shoulder belts, no tether anchors, Seat backs are high, but no additional headrest.

M will be in the scenera. It fits great and won't have to be moved. She can either go in the center (lap belt only) or on driver's side.
The boys have me a bit stressed so I need a logical mind to look at the big picture with me.
A: 7 years, 55lbs (or so), 49" tall. Normal seat is a HB Turbo. He is on the second to last headrest position.
C: 4 1/2 years, 48lbs, 43" tall (all torso). Normal seats are radian (almost even with top slots) and GN (top slots). He is booster trained and does well most of the time when it is only him and an adult in the car...never ridden in the booster when his brother has been in the car.

I also have one RSTV that both boys fit in. Do I, take the GN from my parents, put it in the sitter's car for C and have A use RSTV in backseat or NBB in front? Do I get C a turbo for the Nanny and have A also use a turbo or RSTV? I don't think that I can get 3 actual seats in the backseat. I'm really not willing to move the radian for C to use because he is too close to outgrowing it. I'm willing to purchase a NBB for A for the frontseat if I have to and/or a HB turbo for C. Or do I have C use the RSTV on a daily basis?

Last edited:
ADS

Kat_Momof3

1st decision... I would have all of them in the back... as you have a RSTV, there just isn't need or reason to put one in the front.

I'd put C in the RSTV and A in the turbo.

scoutingbear

Okay. Put the scenera in the middle of the backseat. Can't buckle a booster on either side, GN definitely too wide. :( That leaves me with a NB booster in the front and a RSTV in the back, correct? Oh, and A needs the RSTV to take to school with him for the various carpool scenarios throughout the week. Any other ideas?

BabyKaykes

Can you get the Radian and another seat back there? Either RF or FF? Or even 2 Radians and a TB?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

scoutingbear

Can you put the scenera on the passenger's side, a RSTV in the middle and a booster on the driver's side?
The middle is a lap belt only position with no top tether. So, the baby has to go in the middle.

Can you get the Radian and another seat back there? Either RF or FF? Or even 2 Radians and a TB?

I will try C's radian FF (the other one is my primary seat for M) from dh's car. I only have the one to move and then it leaves me wondering what to do with C in dh's car! He has almost outgrown it by height though. I don't think I could get a RF Radian upright enough. We are talking TINY car.

Pixels

The middle is a lap belt only position with no top tether. So, the baby has to go in the middle.

A harnessed seat could go in the middle, just not a booster or the RSTV. But you could put the Nautilus there or the Radian, not that the Nautilus is likely to leave enough room for other seats next to it. Unless maybe RSTV, Nautilus, Scenera works.

momtoo3

I puzzled a Complete Air RF and A FF Radian the other day. The Radain fit against the CA with no extra wasted space. It doesn't fit under the lip on the side of the CA but right up against it. I also think the CA RF would fit with a CA FF. Maybe you could get the Turbo next to it.

OR could you get another RSTV so both boys had one and use the Scenera in the middle? I've never seen a RSTV but have read alot about them here.

scoutingbear

What kind of car (make and model?)
Mitsubishi uh....montera? Is that right? Older car, no top tethers. 2 door.

A harnessed seat could go in the middle, just not a booster or the RSTV. But you could put the Nautilus there or the Radian, not that the Nautilus is likely to leave enough room for other seats next to it. Unless maybe RSTV, Nautilus, Scenera works.
The scenera and possibly the radian are our only 2 options besides the GN. The RSTV is only as wide as the kids butts (which aren't big at all!) so I will use that in one position. I really don't think a turbo can fit on either side of a harnessed seat.

OR could you get another RSTV so both boys had one and use the Scenera in the middle? I've never seen a RSTV but have read alot about them here.

I'm really considering another RSTV especially since C will be in kindy next year. It is great from when the kids go home with friends, etc. Fits in the backpack very nicely. :thumbsup: But I won't be able to afford it for a month or so so that leaves me the question of what to do in the meantime.

BabyKaykes

If I'm not mistaken, the Montera is a truck? But I could definitely be wrong...baby brain...

If you can get 2 Radians in there with the RSTV and want to do that until you can get a second vest, let me know and you can borrow mine. I just got our Nautilus back from friends who replaced their ProSport after an accident.

scoutingbear

I am sooo bad at cars. It could be a truck. :shrug-shoulders: I *think* I can get a radian next to the scenera.

I could buckle a turbo in there, but it wouldn't work once there was a kid in the turbo for buckling. For Tuesday I'm going to have my neighbor pick up A from school so he doesn't have to go in the car at all and give her one of our turbos. For C I will have him use the RSTV and the baby will be in the already installed scenera since I have to leave so early. I'll test out the radian in the afternoon when I'm not rushing out the door. I don't think I could get the RF radian upright enough which is why I am using the scenera. I do have the CCO. :doh: If there are no install issues I could put that RF and the Radian FF.

scoutingbear

There are air bags for the front seats. I know the oldest harnessed kid up front, but that would make putting the other kid and the baby in almost impossible. It was suggested by other techs here that a NBB might be my best option if it just isn't doable for 3 in the back and to put A up there for the few times a week he does ride with her.

momtoo3

Can the Scenera or CCO RF behind the passenger seat and the Radian FF in the middle? Then you could use the RSTV for your oldest on the other side.

OR if you have to put one up front how about Scenera/CCO in back with your younger son in the Radian and your older son in the Nautilus up front. Then the RSTV could stay in his backpack for carpool and you could save for another RSTV or car seat. Would the nanny be willing to go to BRU or somewhere with you try different seats out?
Also I'm thinking a small 2 door mitsubishi might be an Eclipse. Does the back seat have a hump in the middle? I remember my step dad had a 91 and it would have been extremely hard to fit 3 across.

scoutingbear

Can the Scenera or CCO RF behind the passenger seat and the Radian FF in the middle? Then you could use the RSTV for your oldest on the other side.

OR if you have to put one up front how about Scenera/CCO in back with your younger son in the Radian and your older son in the Nautilus up front. Then the RSTV could stay in his backpack for carpool and you could save for another RSTV or car seat. Would the nanny be willing to go to BRU or somewhere with you try different seats out?
Also I'm thinking a small 2 door mitsubishi might be an Eclipse. Does the back seat have a hump in the middle? I remember my step dad had a 91 and it would have been extremely hard to fit 3 across.

I might be able to fit the RF seat behind the driver's seat. But I honestly think that the radian may fit even with the scenera in the middle. I could get a turbo in there and buckled by contorting myself. :p It would not work once a kid was in the turbo cuz of certain parts which would be bound to be squished while the kid is being climbed on and kneed just to get the buckle fastened. The oldest outgrew the harness on the GN. :rolleyes: So if I had to put him up front, I'll use a NBB to reduce head excursion and put him just that much farther from the air bag.

And no, it isn't an eclipse. I know that for sure. The back seat is flat, but tiny. 3 seatbelts but unless you have the butt of a 7 year old, you aren't gonna fit 3 back there!

momtoo3

Would the Radian FF in the middle and the Scenera behind the driver give more room to buckle the Turbo on the passenger side? Or just do Scenera, Radian, RSTV.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Can you prebuckle the Turbo, then have your son slide around the belt?

I think two RSTVs would be the best option, doing the RN/Scenera in the backseat with the NBB in the front until you can save up for it. I don't love it, but if it's a few times a week for a month then it might have to happen.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC