Trip, change it all up or change one?

melniemi

I'm making a short trip next weekend, about 6 hours away, leaving Thurs, returning Sat. My sis and her dh agreed to come with to help out with the kids. But to fit them, I'll need to switch someone.

I know I can fit pw/ff ma/pw in my third row. That would be the big boys and dd2. Dd2 is rfing now but will be 4 on the 16th. I wanted to keep her rf till spring, esp since where we live there is tons of snow, ice, etc. But this 3rd row combo will allow me to keep dd1 harnessed in her frontier in the middle row, baby rfing in the center, sis or bil outboard other side.

I might be able to fit harmony backlesses on either side of a rfing ma in the third row. This would keep dd2 rfing, but would put the big boys in backless rather than their pws. I would also need to put dd1 in a booster so both outboard middle row seats can be pushed forward for rear seat access (the rfing ma would make it impossible to access both outboard seats from one side).

So which would you choose?

pw/ff ma/pw - turning dd2 ffing for the trip
frontier/rf bv/adult

or

harmony/rf ma/harmony (if they fit) - putting boys in backless
pw/rf bv/adult - putting dd1 in a booster, she has ridden in one before and done well, just not this long of a trip, tho she is 6.5 and would probably do just fine.

Thanks so much, it's a last minute trip and w/o dh(he is working out of town)it is stressful enough. I'm grateful someone can come help me, just kinda wishing sis would come alone:eek:

ADS

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
If I were in your shoes, I would probably call my sister and kindly ask if she could leave her husband at home because you are full up on car seats. :)

But... if that's not possible, I would choose option number 1. Turning your 4yo FF seems like a safer choice, over putting both your boys in backless boosters, and boostering your DD1 even though she doesn't have a lot of booster experience. Six hours is a long drive!

With option 1, you can feel comfortable that everyone will be safely contained in their seats, even if they fall asleep and slump.

:twocents:

rachelandtyke

If I were in your shoes, I would probably call my sister and kindly ask if she could leave her husband at home because you are full up on car seats. :)

But... if that's not possible, I would choose option number 1. Turning your 4yo FF seems like a safer choice, over putting both your boys in backless boosters, and boostering your DD1 even though she doesn't have a lot of booster experience. Six hours is a long drive!

With option 1, you can feel comfortable that everyone will be safely contained in their seats, even if they fall asleep and slump.

:twocents:

:yeahthat: I like option 1 better as well.

melniemi

Thanks - here is the short story on them.

They are missionaries right now and are taking 2 months off - staying with my parents for a month, then his for a month, then off to Taiwan for 9 months. They were going to some stay with me for a few days since it's easier for them to come here than me and the crew to go there. Then this last min trip came up, I really would like someone to come with me, they offered to do that rather than come stay here, so we can still spend time together. I could probably see if just sis would come, bil wanted to come too, but hmmm? lol

I'll call and talk to her again, see what they think about just her coming.

Thanks for the input tho.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC