2011 Chevy Traverse

SignCuer

Updated!!!!!!! With Review!

I'm thinking of getting this SUV since:

1) it has 8 passenger seating which I do need
2) it has ample trunk space even when 3 rows are up!
3) I LOVE Chevy!!! :D

There you have it!!!

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/faithfulorangekids/2011 Chevrolet Traverse AWD 1LT/

79 pics of the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse AWD 1LT...

My review:

It's a nice family SUV if you need to haul more than a few people but needing the cargo area. If you need enough cargo space to move a huge tv or moving day, this is a great SUV to get since all seats fold flat so you can use it for moving big things or to convert the 3rd row to more cargo space.

There's plenty of storage, cup holders... The SUV has ONSTAR which is a feature where if in an accident or needing medical assistance, there's a button with an medical symbol that will alert them to send emergency personnel. :thumbsup:

It also have an enterainment DVD system included with the DVD position in the same place as the CD.

Plus the trunk is automatic. There's a button you press and it will lift the hatch by itself (great for mamas who have many kids, or groceries than hands!!) and close by itself.

This one had 2 sunroofs (which if you are like me and hate A/C: I don't use it at all even in 100 degree weather), this will give you nice breezes!

It also has "booster guides" in all outboard positions in the 2nd/3rd row HOWEVER if your kids doesn't pass the 5-step tests, keep them in booster seats! http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf (I add the 6th step for my kids (IMO): your feet must be flat on the floor since if they aren't, then there are more likely risks of not passing the other steps.)

The cargo space is great! It has enough room for a CA, RN (not pictured), Britax Frontier85 with the 3rd ROW UP!

100_0866.jpg

The 3rd row seating is enough to fit a 5'7 (me) person without cramping my legs so a nice tall person back there will fit beautifully.
100_0846.jpg

The front seat seatbelts are ELR (Emergency Locking Retractors) with a locking latchplate.

The rest are Switchable Retractors (where you can switch from ELR to Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) with sliding latchplates.

The buckles are all except the middle buckle in the 3rd row, fixed. The middle buckle in the 3rd row is adjustable.

There are 3 rows, front, middle and back. Front has 2 seats, middle has 3, back has 3. All seats are full-sized.

There's a SMART SLIDE where you can push up the 60-40 seating in the 2nd row to have access to the 3rd row.

100_0833.jpg
100_0871.jpg

This can be a problem for car-seats... since if you see the pics, the seat cushion will come up as well therefore you will have to uninstall the car seats EVERYTIME you need the 3rd row :thumbsdown: then install it again. Few ways you can avoid this:

Use the 40% portion of seating for boosters ONLY since you can take it out easily.

Use the 3rd row for RF only (best option, will explain below) and load kids from the hatch.

If your kids are skinny enough, slide up the middle row (it slides back and forth so your kids can be closer to the front seats if needed) enough for them to squeeze through to the back.

The LATCH parts of the seats:

Middle row- Outboards have full sets of LATCH (top tether and lower anchors)
Middle seat only have top tether. No LATCH or LATCH sharing permitted.

3rd row- only have top tether in the middle :thumbsdown: no LATCH or top tether in outboards so basically the 3rd row is only best for RF or boosters.. You can install a FF seat back there but keep in mind there's no top tethers in the outboards so if you want to install FF seat there, get a FF seat that tested well for using without the top tether such as the Nautilus or Radian.
100_0829.jpg

There's no headrests in the middle seat both 2nd and 3rd rows so no adult or a LBB kid should sit there since your head will have no protection in an accident. (see above)

Alrighty off to car-seats!!

I brought:

Radian65SL
Britax Frontier85
Complete Air
Cosco backless booster

(keep in mind, I did this in 30 degrees weather. I did all installs correctly with both LATCH and seatbelt for all positions however some of the pics shows the car-seats uninstalled since I was a bozo head and forgot to snap the pics before I uninstalled them. :rolleyes: :p)
100_0842.jpg

This car is a DREAM for the Radian!!! The seats fairly slope downwards so it was SO EASY to get it installed 35 degrees!! :eek: :thumbsup: I actually did have to work to get it 45 degrees for the newbies! (it's easy though)

I installed it with both LATCH and seatbelt and got them less than an inch in less than 15 seconds in all positions in the 2nd row. There are good anchor points for the RF tethering.

In the 3rd row, the Radian is incompatible for RF in the outboards due to the headrests (which can't be removed), the bottom of the Radian comes up a good inch from the seat. However it install great in the middle seat of the 3rd row.

FF was great, however you will need to do the FF recline to fit the car seat properly on the seat for all positions.

I'm 5'7" and could sit in the driver's seat without the Radian touching the front seats (which is prohibited because of the advanced airbags) with about 3 inches between so a tall adult could sit there comfortably in the driver's seat without touching the Radian.. keep in mind this was installed at 35 degrees. At 45 degrees I had about 1 1/2 inches left between.

The Complete Air was very unevitable as I expected. You will need a good number of pool noodles to be able to install it at the 45 degrees (which is basically unnecessary since the CA isn't good for newbies) and probably 1 pool noodle or a tightly rolled towel to get it more reclined to the appropriate recline (above 35 degrees) but when installed without anything, it's at 35 degrees (thanks to my trusty proctrator)

DISCLAIMER: The CA manual says that you must use the leveler on the seat and use it full recline. Therefore I can't tell you as a CPST to disregard the manual. However, I have called Dorel and they did confirm that it is fine to install up to 30 degrees. So it's a parental decision. I have made the parental decision to install it more upright and so does many techs here on this board.

FF was a bit more difficult since I had to use my weight to push back the seat and install it. (it's not installed in the pics) However I was able to get more than 80% on the seat (both LATCH and seatbelt)

All installs was done with the LATCH and seatbelt in all positions.

In the 3rd row, the CA is able to be used for all positions both RF and FF so you are good there.

The Britax Frontier85..... was interesting to install.... (no pics-only in booster mode)

With the recline block in position for the harness mode, it was HARD to actually shove it enough backwards so I could install it well.. However I DID IT! :D

I did this way (For both LATCH and Short Belt Path (the Long Belt Path was impossible for me to do alone.. the belt seemed too short but I will go again with a helper to confirm it.)

Recline the seat about 2 clicks back
Do the top tether FIRST
Do the install (either LATCH or seatbelt)
Make sure it's less than 1 inch of movement either side to side or front to back.
Put back the seat up.

ROCK SOLID!

The Britax Frontier85 was installed with the harness mode at the top slots (20") with about 4 inches left above so it is entirely possible that it could when converted to booster mode and using more of the booster slots, use all of the booster slots. I did this in the middle row, outboard. 3rd row should be similar but I did not do it.

In the booster mode, it was pretty easy to put in. and seemed easy for an older child to buckle themselves in. (The Frontier85 can be installed with the full LATCH)

The seats are full sized so you would be able to get good different combinations there.

Some pics I did not do, but I did this (in this order from outboard to outboard):

Middle Row:

RF Radian, RF CA, Britax Frontier85
RF Radian, Britax Frontier85, RF CA
Cosco Backless Booster, RF Radian, RF CA
FF Radian, FF CA
FF CA, FF Radian
FF CA, FF Radian, Britax Frontier85

3rd Row:

FF Radian, RF CA
RF CA, RF Radian
RF CA, FF Radian
All installs were done by me, a tech

This pic show how 2 seats installed side by side could be just fine with the smart slide option slided up so if there's just a booster there or nothing there, you are in luck.

100_0848.jpg

In all and all....

This is a great family SUV or people needing to haul more people and this seems to be a car with many opporunties for car-seats. However there are some flaws such as no middle headrests and 1 top tether in the middle seat in the 3rd row. If that bothers you, don't get this however if you have some kiddos that you think this car will fit your family then I do recommend this SUV due to many advantages more than the flaws.

Enjoy browsing my pics!! Any questions: be happy to post here or send me a PM!

Last edited:
ADS

How'd it go?

My main request is if I could see pics of teh trunk with all 3 seats up. Like throw a car seat or two back there so I can get a sense of how much room there is.

I know it's impractical since we don't go up to the snow that much, but if we give up the truck and get an Odyssey, I'm really gonna miss having AWD. So far, the Traverse and sister SUVs are the only SUVs that come close enough to a minivan's practicality that I could live with.

SignCuer

Will put up pics tomorrow after church... I gotta DL to my computer and put them in order...

CPSDarren: is it possible for me to also post it up on the blog area? This would be a great place to put it for people to see!

Final answer: I LOVE this car!!! So much room and it's practically like a van but with the SUV stylish!!! It def will be my next purchase! Some flaws (which I will explain) but many good points.

The dealer is only like 2 blocks from me so if anybody wants any more requests, please do and let me know before 4pm tomorrow! I can stop by there after church and take more pics.

I know it's prolly out there, but how many latch n tether positions.

Also, can two FF seats go side by side in 2nd row such that you can still flip the open seat to get into the 3rd row? That's the setup I like even tho I know most ppl prefer both outboard instead.

SignCuer

2nd row:

7 passenger version- 2 set of LATCH in bucket seats
8- passenger version- 3 top tethers, 2 lower anchors on outboards.. none center

3rd row: only one top tether in middle seat :thumbsdown: nothing else.. no lower anchors on any seats or top tethers on outboards.

The seat to flip upwards to access the 3rd row.. seat cushion will fold up as well so installing a car-seat there is out... you basically will have to take out the car-seat then flip then put it back in position then install car-seat again... one of the flaws.. major headache

Depends on the car seats.. If you have 2 seats that can install next to each other then you will have better luck if you install two side by side and leave one outboard permanently with no car-seat or a booster only, then yes.. I did with my CA and RN65SL. Installed both in the middle and driver outboard.

All seats are full sized.. no tiny middle seat! Which gives more room to test everything out!

SignCuer

I have a pic with CA, RN installed side by side with the outboard seat in the up position to let people in the 3rd row. No interference with the middle seat.

Spam

I've been so wanting one of these or the sisters, but can't really decide if the 7 pass or 8 pass is better/easier. Right now, I know I only have the two, but often enough also will go someplace with my mom, sis and her two kids and would like to have comfortable room for all. Bummer on the tt in the third row :( I keep waivering on minivan or this, not like i'm buying either tomorrow, but still.

amyd

We looked at a 2010 Traverse when we were vehicle shopping. It was out for us because of the lack of TTs and no head restraints in the middle of each row. Have they added head restraints for 2011 by any chance? It was a nice vehicle and was great to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

aeormsby

We have an '07 Outlook, 8 passenger. We mainly got it because of the cargo room and so we don't need to take 2 vehicles everywhere when our parents visit. So the lack of tethers isn't a problem since we only have 2 seats in there on a regular basis. The cargo space with the 3rd row up is pretty decent. We could fit our camping cooler and a rubbermaid storage thing back there when we took a trip with MIL & FIL last fall. I was actually surprised that they fit. Large fold strollers probably wouldn't fit so well back there.

I do wish that the headrests were more adjustable (and that you could remove the 3rd row ones without the prongs sticking up from the seat). You can pull the pins so you can remove the 2nd row headrests, but they don't lock in if you need to just stick them back in for an adult.

So, it fits our needs (wanting to be able to have the passenger space sometimes, having lots of cargo space most of the time. But, for people who need the 3rd row up most of the time it might not be the best option.

Sunshy9

We looked at a 2010 Traverse when we were vehicle shopping. It was out for us because of the lack of TTs and no head restraints in the middle of each row. Have they added head restraints for 2011 by any chance? It was a nice vehicle and was great to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

There is still lack of headrests in both rows in center poistions, I just tried out a 2011 Traverse this week.

Dawn

Check your owners manual for front facing car seat installs. I have an 09 Outlook which is identical and mine states the middle row seats must be reclined when installing a front facing seat in that position. It may have been updated which would be great for installs in new models.

christophersmom

Can you get tethers installed by the dealer in 3rd row like you can in other cars?

I would love to put my FF girls in the 3rd row (they are 3 1/2 and 4 1/2). I need the 2nd row for easy access for carpool for the older kids and it is primarily DH car and he doesn't have the girls unless we are all going somewhere and not driving my Odyssey.
So if I can't do tethers is it best to use my Nautilus seats for them in the Traverse? What are the other options?

aeormsby

Can you get tethers installed by the dealer in 3rd row like you can in other cars?

I would love to put my FF girls in the 3rd row (they are 3 1/2 and 4 1/2). I need the 2nd row for easy access for carpool for the older kids and it is primarily DH car and he doesn't have the girls unless we are all going somewhere and not driving my Odyssey.
So if I can't do tethers is it best to use my Nautilus seats for them in the Traverse? What are the other options?

Tethers can't be added to vehicles that come with Latch/tethers pre-installed (with a couple of exceptions). For un-tethered FF seats I believe the Nautilus & Radian are the ones we know of with good results untethered. I felt fine about installing our Frontiers back there also. They fit great outboard with the long belt path which helps secure the top of the seat a little better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC