CA law questions

Stretchy Glue

I have to be quick...my niece is 6, but weighs 35 lbs. She recently outgrew a FPSVD so she's tallish in the torso. She recently spent a week with her dad in California, without a booster. He said he bought a booster seat but it turns out he never did.

What specifically does CA law say about booster use? Is it only 6? Even if the kid is so tiny? Unless the law says something about best practice, I need to arm my sister with the information. She can use the best practice, do you love your kid angle also, but right now we need the straight up law.

ADS

cats2

It's 6 yrs OR 60 lbs...:(

"V.C. 27360(a) Cite parent/guardian for each child who is not properly restrained in
the rear seat unless the child is six years or older or weighs 60 pounds or more"

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
CA seatbelt law specifies that children under the age of 16 must fit the seatbelt properly , or be in a child restraint or the driver will be ticketed for a seatbelt violation.

Stretchy Glue

CA seatbelt law specifies that children under the age of 16 must fit the seatbelt properly , or be in a child restraint or the driver will be ticketed for a seatbelt violation.
You might have just saved us! Can you please link or quote that? That would be very helpful. I guarantee that a tiny 6 year old DOES NOT fit into a regular seatbelt. Proper use/proper fit clause...that's what I needed.:thumbsup:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Stretchy Glue said:
You might have just saved us! Can you please link or quote that? That would be very helpful. I guarantee that a tiny 6 year old DOES NOT fit into a regular seatbelt. Proper use/proper fit clause...that's what I needed.:thumbsup:

The law sort-of says that. I can't link right now, but it does say something about a "properly used" seatbelt. It doesn't specify proper fit, per se.

How that's interpreted--proper fit or just "seatbelt is buckled and over the kid"--would be up to the police officer/judge involved.

It's nice to point to that as a requirement to keep kids in boosters longer, but I'm not sure that's really the intent of the law. (If it works, though, great.)

MomToEliEm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27360_5.htm
27360.5. (a) No parent or legal guardian, when present in a motor vehicle, as defined in Section 27315, may permit his or her child or ward who is six years of age or older, but less than 16 years of age, or who is less than six years of age and weighs 60 pounds or more to be transported upon a highway in the motor vehicle without properly securing the child or ward in an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.

The bolded "properly securing" text might be what you need.

Stretchy Glue

My sister had one heck of a phone call with her xh. He went about proving that he was right, while you guys helped me. Oddly enough, whomever he talked to read him the riot act as well and told him to just throw his daughter under the car because it would be a quicker death. (Some friend huh?) Apparently he looked up some videos and called my sister back and appologized. It's a good thing they don't live very close.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC