Question Secondary vehicles

mamakc

Do you lower your "standards" for secondary vehicles? Like if you have a 5 year old harnessed and a 2 year old RF in your primary vehicle, would you use a booster and FF seat in a secondary vehicle? Or do you try to have the same set up?

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
ATM, it's the same set up in all vehicles (twins are in FF harnessed seats in all cars, and dd is rf'ing in all cars). However, I will likely FF dd in dh's truck once she hits 2 due to logistics of loading a bigger/heavier child. It's an 'emergency daycare pick up' type of situation. And I am considering a booster for one of the twins once he is 5 in that vehicle IF I am in the position to need another seat. Now, if I have enough harnessed seats, he will remain harnessed. But I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another harnessed seat at that point. We will have to start booster training eventually, might as well happen in the secondary vehicle first!

manateesmom

I have the same setup in both vehicles. IMO, while there are more opportunities over the course of a year for a crash in the vehicle that is primarily used to transport DS, the odds that any particular trip will involve a crash are the same regardless of what vehicle is taken. That is, it's just as likely that he'll be involved in a crash in dad's car, on the one day a week that daddy picks up from daycare, as in any of the dozens of trips we take in my car in a month. When you flip a coin, it's still a 50-50 chance it will come up tails, even if you've flipped 2 dozen tails already, kwim?

Mommy0608

So far, I have the same set-up (FF/RF) but different seats. However, I don't know what's going to happen... my kids are both outgrowing their seats in DH's car. DD is about to max out the True Fit FF, and DS is outgrowing the Symphony RF. I can't booster DD for medical reasons (not to mention that she's tiny!) so she will HAVE to get a new seat. DS, however, I don't know. I really, really want to make it to age 3 before he ever takes a ride FF. However, I don't know if we can possibly buy two more seats. I am going to do everything in my power to do so though, including selling off their current seats to fund new ones.

Long story short, I plan to do everything possible to keep them in the same set-up in all vehicles, because like someone else said, they can still get in a crash in that vehicle even though they ride there quite infrequently. I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt if something happened and I think "if only..." KWIM?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
For me, it's not about cost or "they ride less often in this car so the risk is lower." It's about our secondary vehicle being driven by someone who isn't as conscientious about child-passenger safety as I am.

I put my dd in a booster in dh's car even though I still wanted her harnessed, because he made it clear that he was incapable/disinterested in installing her carseat correctly. He had to remove it at times to transport adults, so keeping it installed wasn't an option, and he often had to pick her up from someplace I'd dropped her off, so I couldn't re-install it. So I gave him the seat that I knew were most likely to be used correctly by him - a booster - and made sure my kids all knew how to use it correctly as well. Same situation with my parents; they got a booster because I knew it could be used correctly, unlike a harnessed seat.

To someone just glancing over the setup, it might look like I'd "lowered my standards," but it's not. For each situation, I chose the seat that fit my child, fit the vehicle, and would be used correctly every time. :thumbsup:

Mommy0608

To someone just glancing over the setup, it might look like I'd "lowered my standards," but it's not. For each situation, I chose the seat that fit my child, fit the vehicle, and would be used correctly every time. :thumbsup:

That makes complete sense! For the record, I was only talking about DH's car, where I install the seats and they stay installed. However, DH is capable of installing the seats himself if necessary. In a situation like yours though, I agree with you... you do what's most likely to be used properly, making your kids as safe as possible. :thumbsup:

mamakc

For me, it's not about cost or "they ride less often in this car so the risk is lower." It's about our secondary vehicle being driven by someone who isn't as conscientious about child-passenger safety as I am.

I put my dd in a booster in dh's car even though I still wanted her harnessed, because he made it clear that he was incapable/disinterested in installing her carseat correctly. He had to remove it at times to transport adults, so keeping it installed wasn't an option, and he often had to pick her up from someplace I'd dropped her off, so I couldn't re-install it. So I gave him the seat that I knew were most likely to be used correctly by him - a booster - and made sure my kids all knew how to use it correctly as well. Same situation with my parents; they got a booster because I knew it could be used correctly, unlike a harnessed seat.

You make a very good point. :thumbsup: That's part of why I am going to start booster training my 4-next-week year old. Not for mine or DH's car, but for the occasional ride with a friend who's own children are loosely harnessed and/or backless-boostered at 3 and 30..... :whistle:

Anyway... my reason for bringing this up in the first place is regarding DS. We have one vehicle for now and our extra seats were for grandparents, etc. Now DH is getting a car and they'll be permanently installed in his car. I'm debating in my mind how I'll feel when DS outgrows the Ave RF (prob in six months or more at 2.5 or 3). He will still fit RF in the CA, obviously. If I turn him in the Ave, should I turn him in the CA too? If I'm ok with it in one car, why not the other, you know? Or should I turn him FF in one car and RF in the other. Or replace the Ave with a CA.... Seems silly to buy a new convertible at that age. I NEED to stop buying seats LOL. Oh and then there's the fact that DH is looking equally at coupes and sedans.......

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't know about it being a "step down", because it's still a very appropriate choice, but when my husband gets his next vehicle, my almost-9yo will probably go backless in it. Husband wants to be able to fold the seats down in back and would prefer a backless booster. I wouldn't agree if I didn't think it's safe, but a 9yo in a backless booster in a vehicle with headrests and side air bags is an appropriate choice even if she rides in a highbacked booster in my vehicle.

abacus2

Yes, for me it was about fitting the budget. Our secondary car used to be a two door Cavalier. When Naomi was born, it was not possible to fit two RFing seats with the seats we had and still leave my DH enough room to drive comfortably. Since my budget wasn't condusive to buying new seats or replacing that vehicle, 2.5 year old 25lb Emily turned FFing in that car.

AtTheSouthDam

Actually, as it set up right now the secondery vehicle is safer.
DD1 is riding in the Monterey in both cars and we are switching the seat between the two. She has a NBB is both cars, though, in case we forget to switch it.
DD2 is Riding RF in RN in DH's car and FF in a YS in the van. When she does go FF all the way she'll get which ever FF seat has the best side impact protection. In the civic she sits so close to the door it makes me nervous, ditto with DD1. Whereas in the van the bench seat they sit in is actually a foot or so from the sliding doors or they are both in the middle of the benches.

rodentranger

Exactly this.
In my Pilot, I have a higher rollover risk, so I want my rf seats tethered. It is also higher than the other vehicles my boys ride in, so I'm not as adamant about headwings as intrusion is less likely.
In my mom's car, I know she has a hard time buckling a rf child, so I have my 4 yo ff in her car. No way I'm turning my 2 yo there though. My DH's car is very very unlikely to be used to transport kids with his current work schedule (like, I'd have to be unconscious in my totaled car and he need to get them from school before my mom can come home with her car), so I have a hb TB and a WZ that expires the first week of January in it. He knows how to install the WZ and ought to be able to figure out the TB. Asking him to correctly install any of the other seats has proven to be a poor idea.

luckyclov

Mmmm...yeah, kind of, a little, I guess. My DD is still harnessed in a FR85 in our primary vehicle (mine), but boostered in a Monterey in DH's vehicle. The Monterey provides an excellent belt fit on her and in the vehicle - and she will sit properly on short trips (which is all DH's vehicle is used for. My 2 DSs have basically the same setup in both vehicles - but it's a setup based on overall fit...not the "we're never in here" logic.

simplychels

No, my DD rides the exact same all the time. If there is a vehicle issue (incompatibility for instance) then said driver of incompatible vehicle gets to take my vehicle for a day. I will not lower my DDs safety standards for an occasional use vehicle.

Plus I will use any excuse I can to buy another seat. So ensuring our 4 year old is kept rf'ing in ALL vehicles means either a new seat when it's not really technically a need since she could be ff'ing, or my vehicle gets driven instead of another even if its the less convenient option.

Kobain's Mommy

I plan to ERF DS pending his growth, but my goal is 3 years. He's center in all vehicles, but the only "cheap" seat is his back up for if we are with my friend or cousin. He's in a MR in mine, CA65 in DH's, a MA in my dad's, and will be getting a CA65 in my mom's. Dad's MA will expire soon so I am leaning towards a CA there as well. I've also toyed with getting another Britax for DH's truck and moving the CA to dad's.

ConnorsMommy

I feel that my son is equally safe in both my vehicle and my husband's vehicle. Many of my son's things are second hand or inexpensive, but I do not scimp on car seat safety. He is FF in a Marathon (Classic) in my car and a Recaro Signo G2 in my husband's car. The seat from my husband's car is sometimes used for kids I care for, so I want to make sure that it is a good seat too. (Why should someone else's child be less safe than my own?) Fortunetaly, my husband is "well trained" and knows how to properly install and use both our car seats in our vehicles.
My son will probably start booster training in my husband's car before my car since he doesn't ride in there much. I won't even consider moving him to a booster at all until he is 5 though. (He will be 4 in March). He did FF in my husband's vehicle about 2 months before I turned him FF in my car (around 2 years old).
I would feel so bad if my son was hurt or killed in a crash because I didn't feel he needed to be as protected in our second vehicle.

Jan06twinmom

I have my kids in different car seats in different vehicles, but it's really about trying to make sure my kids are comfortable and safe in every vehicle. However, I do think there is some difference in the quality of seats that we have in different vehicles.

The first four sets of car seats were bought in pairs - 2 baby trend latch loc infant seats, 2 evenflo triumphs (old version), 2 Britax Decathlons, and 2 Radians. Each time I was buying a necessary seat and the 3 convertible car seats were progressively better quality seats (IMO). However, I wasn't really replacing convertible car seats since we went from needing 1 set of car seats to 3 sets (our 2 cars & nanny car).

My DS is much larger than his twin sister, so we've been doing musical car seats since he's outgrown car seats before her. (He outgrew the ET at 3yo, Decath at 5yo and Radian at 5y10m - and DD outgrew the ET just before she turned 6yo and fits in the other seats.) Both of my twins went ff in the ET in the least used vehicle about 6 month before they went ff in the other vehicles - so at 2 yo for DS and 4yo for DD.

Right now our set up is (twins will be 6yo in 1 1/2 weeks):

Main car: Regent for DS and Radian for DD - will stay in these seats for a little longer since they both have growing room. We use this car the most often, including long drives where the kids sleep in the car.

Secondary car: Turbobooster for DS and Britax Decathlon for DD. DD will move to a booster in this car in the next 6ish months. Car is only used for a couple of trips a week, if that.

Nanny car: Radian for DS and Monterey for DS. They are in the nanny's car for the drive home from school (11miles) 4 or 5 times a week during the university semester.

I would have considered buying a Frontier 85 for my DS this fall, but DH didn't want us to buy another harnessed car seat at this point. My goal was 6 years old for a booster seat, but we didn't quite make it with my huge DS!

Melanie

amelia222

My dd is rf in all vehicles. The radian is in my car because it is easier to get her in and out of. And the MR is outboard in my mom's car, which she rides in maybe 2-3 times a month. It is super easy to install with UAS and would need a locking clip to not tip in the center, which is way beyond my mom's ability. So no, her safety is not compromised by riding in someone else's car, in fact she is most likely safer in my mom'd '03 matrix than in my '91 tercel but I cannot afford a newer car right now.

emandbri

My kids did ride safer in my van than in Brian's car, it would have been nice to keep them as safe as possible in both cars but I had to make do with the seats I had.

After Benjamin got too tall for the marathon he went into a radian in my van and used a booster in Brian's car either the parkway or star riser. Elizabeth was rear-facing in the van in a radian but I had a FF marathon in Brian's car because she was over the weight limit to use it rfing.

Then I replaced the marathon with a nautilus. I could have bought her a rear-facing seat but it seemed silly when she was already 38 lbs.

Right now they do have the same level of safety in both cars. In my van Elizabeth is in a FF radian and Benjmain a monterey and in Brian's car is the nautilus and pro booster.

gsdguenter

My kids are rifng in all 3 cars they ever drive in (mine, DH's and my mom's - she watches them during the week while we work).

The seats are not all the same, but we don't lower our standards depending on how often they ride in each car. Really it depends on car compatibility or how far the driver needs the seat pushed back.

Pretty much we rotate between the 2 MAs, MT, MR, 2 RN XTs, RN XTSL, and the CA. Whenever I take one out to clean the car or something then I switch seats around for fun.

They won't go ffing or to a booster in one car unless they are ready to go in all the cars.

Plus, with this method I get to buy lots of seats I like.

BUT, having said that. If $ was a huge issue I wouldn't have an issue having my cars decked out in Sceneras, or whatever I could afford that I knew would fit well, installed correctly, and used correctly every time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC