Seats for the grandparents... a little complicated

autumnlily

Please humor me. My parents just purchased a 2007 Honda Odyssey. They want three permanent seats. This all comes at a time that I'm finding myself over analyzing everything thing and running circles in my head regarding car seats in my own vehicle. I just want to make up my mind and feel okay with my choices. I'd love to hear what others think or would do....

Issues:
(1) I'm teetering on FF the twins full time in all vehicles
(2) I'm wanting to convert to seats with head wings
(3) I want the twins to be in identical seats in my car... I'm tired of a hodge podge of seats and worried if I wasn't there to explain them for the upteenth time that something wouldn't be used correctly
(4) ideally, in my parent's car - there would be 3 identical seats (unless they get the two MAs for the twins)
(5) Grace needs a seat with head support... her noggin is very prone to sideways headslump

I'm willing to use the seats I have, sell seats, and/or purchase additional seats...

Children
Lucy (5y16d) is 36lb (rounded up), 41" tall and tiny torso
Etta (2y8m16d) is 31lb (rounded up), average torso & height
Grace (2y8m16d) is 26lb (rounded up), tiny torso & short

*idea on size - the twins are still under or just about flush with the second slot on a classic Marathon (twin B might have just surpassed it) and L is flush with the third slot.

CARS
2007 7 Passenger Odyssey (parent's car) *NEED 3 SEATS*
2007 8 Passenger Sienna (my car) *NEED 3 SEATS*
2000 Avalon (DH car) *FN85* (only need 3 across on rare occasions)
and just need an extra seat for DH Parent's just for Lucy (MA or Maestro)

OWNED CAR SEATS

2 Classic Marathons (33lb RF limit)
  • either leave one for DH Parent's OR give both to my parents for the twins (RF)
2 Radian 65SL
  • I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with the Radian
  • It is sleek, low profile and buckle doesn't get lost under the child
  • I hate it rear facing in my 2nd row Sienna
  • The harness adjuster is too hard for my parents and my DH complains constantly. I dislike them but could get over it and my DH would be fine if they seats were in the middle row and FF.
  • I feel like I need to keep one in case of a three across situation in my DH car, but it has crossed my mine to just ditch them
  • If I decided to stay with Radians - I would sell the 65SL and get XTSLs
1 Frontier 85
  • It is in the Avalon permanently
  • My DH loves it there
  • Not my favorite in the Sienna... just doesn't seem to be the most compatible - harder to adjust or something *I'd love to hear other experience with this*
  • When in the Avalon it is one of my favorite seats to use
  • Had originally thought about three for the Sienna - but in addition to not feeling they are 100% the most compatible I worry about how large they are for my smaller than average children and neck loading... when I can get a smaller seat just as easily
1 Graco Nautilus (Lucy's seat)
  • Etta & Lucy love this seat and it is very easy to adjust
  • Part of me wants to have three of them in my van and call it good... but I worry about still wanting to rear face the twins
  • I really dislike the "in between" slot stage... Lucy is under the second from bottom slot however the head rest is now too close to her shoulders that she complains so I have moved her up to the third slot and now it's way too high. She will never need the 4th slot (I don't think her sisters will ever need it above that slot either)
  • Would be the easiest for my parents to use
  • I dislike having to dig the buckle out... minor complaint
1 Evenflo Maestro
  • Considered three for my parent's van - very affordable and using one system would be ideal, unfortunately no option to rear face with the Maestro
  • If I don't go with Maestro's for my parent's car - I'd leave this one with DH's parents
  • My DNe has been using it for her children and she says she still prefers the GN for ease of use (buckle system)
  • I'm worried Lucy won't like it. She has used it before and was happy but then balked the last few trips. My mom had to call me and ask if she was buckling it right. This worries me a bit but I know I can teach them well.

CAR SEATS owned but considering selling/returning
1 TFP
  • Etta loves the seat
  • DH didn't mind too much loading her RF and the harness system
  • I'm not thrilled with the straps for shoulder placement and the seat is too wide FF for my girls (no head support... Grace in particular)
1 BLVD70
  • I have only placed the girls in it - no real life experience yet
  • Love the headwings for Grace
  • Etta's hair got caught trying to pull the harness forward and the wings... I'm not used to working in such a confined space
  • I enjoy the flexibility that I can still rear face it and have a supportive ff seat
  • I don't have to worry about awkward slot/head rest issues that are found on the GN
  • I know DH will gripe about loading for RF - he'll be fine for FF
  • Afraid to invest in it if only for FF (no babies to pass it down too)

Last edited:
ADS

babyherder

This is what I would do
Your car: Leave Lucy in the Nauti and get a convertible you really like to rf your twins. I'd leave them rf so you might as well invest in a seat you can live with.

DH's car: Leave the Frontier 85 since everyone seems to like it there.

Your parents: GN (particularly a Dori one cause I think its the best cover ever!) for Lucy and your MAs to rf your littles.

DH's parents: Maestro (assuming its used less than the seat in your parent's car. If the seat in this car is used more than the one in your parent's car I would switch the GN and Maestro).

Sell both radians and get one xt or xtsl in case you need to do a 3 across.

autumnlily

This is what I would do
Your car: Leave Lucy in the Nauti and get a convertible you really like to rf your twins. I'd leave them rf so you might as well invest in a seat you can live with.

DH's car: Leave the Frontier 85 since everyone seems to like it there.

Your parents: GN (particularly a Dori one cause I think its the best cover ever!) for Lucy and your MAs to rf your littles.

DH's parents: Maestro (assuming its used less than the seat in your parent's car. If the seat in this car is used more than the one in your parent's car I would switch the GN and Maestro).

Sell both radians and get one xt or xtsl in case you need to do a 3 across.

WOW! Thank you for reading through my novel and numerous questions. I posted so late that I didn't stop and check out my post.. .holy crud it is LONG.

I've settled on
DH parent's: Maestro (seldom used and I've taught them how to install it safely.. they prefer the MA belt lock off
DH Car: Frontier 85

I did use the BLVD70 RF and was a bit flustered trying to find straps and get my DD squished in there (she loves it... just my issue with getting her set up to go). And, I bumped her head on the van trying to get her in and out. Not an issue really for the infants... but at nearly 3 years old and them trying to stand in the seat as you lift them out - eh, not so fun.

babyherder

That's half the cars figured out!

This is what happens when I should be studying for a final and car seats are involved. Hope it helped.

Kat_Momof3

Lucy (5y16d) is 36lb (rounded up), 41" tall and tiny torso
Etta (2y8m16d) is 30lb (rounded up), average torso & height
Grace (2y8m16d) is 26lb (rounded up), tiny torso & short

*idea on size - the twins are still under or just about flush with the second slot on a classic Marathon (twin B might have just surpassed it) and L is flush with the third slot.

CARS
2007 7 Passenger Odyssey (parent's car) *MA's for the twins (RF until the largest twin hits the rf limit) and Maestro for Lucy*

2007 8 Passenger Sienna (my car) *Nautilus for Lucy, get two Graco Myrides or Safety 1st Complete Air seats and keep the girls rf*

2000 Avalon (DH car) *FN85 for Lucy... Go to BRU/TRU and have them let you try out the Safety 1st Onside Air (59.99 right now at that store, plus you could ask for a twin discount) to make sure that would work for a 3-across... it doesn't have head wings, but it is a nice narrow seat with deep sides and the same side protection as the complete air... if it works, I'd get two and call that done

DH Parent's just for Lucy (Another Maestro)

Keep the twins rf until the biggest one hits the limit on the MA's in your parents' car... and until 40lbs then in all the other cars.

Sell the 2 Radian 65SL, 1 TFP, and 1 BLVD70

autumnlily

Solutions, thus far:

Grandparent's Odyssey
3 Maestro's (in the NEW Pelham Pattern)

FIL/MIL Odyssey
1 Maestro

Husband's Avalon
Frontier 85

Will be retiring a Marathon that had been in an accident and really should have been replaced then. Selling cover to another CSO member.

Left to determine my car (8 passenger Sienna)
(1) GN for Lucy
(1) RF BLVD 70 (have to keep due to a spill in the garage - it got dirty)
(1) RF MA classic

Remaining factors: I have an 18lb 1.5yo I transport 1x week and always like to keep an extra seat open and available (even if uninstalled) at all times. I'm thinking - although it is a royal pain to change from RF to FF - keeping one RN65SL for this purpose. The 1.5yo can use it on Tuesdays and otherwise it will be in the car ready to install if we take a playmate home from Pre-K. Keeping the 1 RN65SL will also allow me to make a doable three across in the Avalon (DH's car).

Extra seats to sell, I guess (unless someone has an alternate suggestion... which I'm always up for):
(2) RN65SL
(1) TFP
(1) Chicco Strada
(1) Chicco Keyfit30 (my preemie loaner seat)

pepsicola

OT, but I gotta ask-- could you maybe take some pics of those Pelham Maestros? Our Burlington dosen't have any in stock and I'm wondering what they look like irl...:eek:

autumnlily

OT, but I gotta ask-- could you maybe take some pics of those Pelham Maestros? Our Burlington dosen't have any in stock and I'm wondering what they look like irl...:eek:

I had a feeling someone would ask! But I forgot to do it before my parents left. The brown is the same suede-y fabric as the others but the pink is cotton. Not knit soft cotton but the kind that can make noise when you rub it. It's' not awful but I presume it would be nicer after being washed up a few times.

There are three pinks and some white petals.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC