News Drop Side Cribs banned (US only)

jess71903

Ambassador
If your crib cannot be re-sold, that effectively put it as a "recalled" item.

Else you can call CPSC if your crib manufacturer is not willing to do anything.

"Toll-free Consumer Hotline: 800-638-2772 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              800-638-2772      end_of_the_skype_highlighting (TTY 301-595-7054). Call to obtain product safety and other agency information and to report unsafe products. Hotline staff may be reached from 8:00 am - 5:30 pm ET. "

ETA: I meant an item that cannot be re-sold due to being a safety hazard should ethically be treated as a "recalled" item.

I worded that badly. I understand that without a fix, my crib is trash. I was just wondering if this ban would also include requiring non-recalled crib manufacturers to issue a fix, or if they get out of it and those of us with their product are just out of luck. I'll be calling them again to see what their response is.

ADS

cheerbop

Not sure what to do about my crib. It was hand made by an Amish man in our area...14 years ago with all metal parts and solid wood.

Mugsmom

No, I still think it is stupid. As I stated before *drop side cribs* are NOT the issue. The issue is manufacturers cutting corners and using cheap plastic hardware in place of metal hardware. We need manufacturing standard here. Do I think it is good to do something about it...of course. But a blanket ban done by the government...stupid.

I think the problem is that this has been a known problem for a very long time, with so many recalls, and yet the companies continue to manufacture them using materials that make them unsafe. When you've been made aware that something is dangerous time and time again, but continue to protect your company's profits instead of the lives of children, sometimes more drastic measures need to be taken.

Angela

Not sure what to do about my crib. It was hand made by an Amish man in our area...14 years ago with all metal parts and solid wood.

Yeah, DH bought the plans and hardware for a crib about 4 years ago, with my 2nd pregnancy. Since I lost it soon after, we still have everything sitting in the garage. It was a drop side crib and I'm sure we would never sell it (with it being handmade), I'm wondering if DH should even make it.

My opinion on the whole thing. Just curious how many children die a year in high chairs or jumpers or walkers, etc. That statistic is pretty low for putting out a government ban on them.

Pixels

I have 2 drop-side cribs in my basement that are very good quality. I was planning on donating them. Can they be donated?

They can be gifted, but if you were thinking about donating them to somewhere like Salvation Army that then sells them, they wouldn't be able to sell them.

Dillipop

I think the problem is that this has been a known problem for a very long time, with so many recalls, and yet the companies continue to manufacture them using materials that make them unsafe. When you've been made aware that something is dangerous time and time again, but continue to protect your company's profits instead of the lives of children, sometimes more drastic measures need to be taken.

But wouldn't the more sensible solution be to make higher mandatory standards to make the cribs safe? Require metal hardware? Seems a better solution than to just ban things across the board.

katiesmommy

Agreed, but putting a blanket ban on drop side cribs is not going to make manufacturer's use better materials.

Speaking strictly personally, I can't reach into standard cribs, I can't even reach the bottom of a Pack N Play, so it's going to suck for me. We have 2 drop side cribs, one bought at walmart, which broke, and one bought in Japan that has metal hardware, I'm thinking we may want to hold on to that one now.

Mugsmom

But wouldn't the more sensible solution be to make higher mandatory standards to make the cribs safe? Require metal hardware? Seems a better solution than to just ban things across the board.

I agree , but we're not dealing with sensibility, we're dealing with the almighty dollar. Where would the company skimp to make up for the increased cost? They use plastic because it's cheap. They're thinking of their bottom line.

A. They use metal hardware and raise the cost. Suddenly the price of all cribs goes up, and people are upset that they now can't afford one due to the new mandatory manufacturing standards.

B. They cut costs by using flimsier wood products. Cribs begin breaking for a whole new reason.

It would be great if we could trust companies to have our best interests at heart, to only use the best materials in building their products, and to learn from their mistakes, so that no one would have to step in to protect the consumer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC