If seatbelts aren't automatically locking

triscuitsmom

Is a locking clip always necessary?

I have always used one, but now I'm reading use only if necessary. I understand it does nothing in a crash, that it is only a precrash positioner... so what constitutes absolutely necessary?

Thanks y'all :love:

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
If your seatbelt doesn't lock at all, then yes, you need a locking clip, but all seatbelts since 97 I think it is are required to lock in some way.

SPJ&E

Some belts have a locking shoulder belt (you pull it out and it locks when it retracts) and other have a locking latchplate (the part you buckle in) and some have both. If your seatbelts have neither one, yes, you always need a locking clip.

A locking clip holds the belt in place to keep the seat tight until the seatbelts locking mechanism kicks in in a crash.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
1) Never, ever, ever use a locking clip on a seatbelt that is a lap-only belt (no shoulder belt).

2) Generally speaking, a locking clip is more complicated to use than a locking seatbelt. For that reason, if the locking clip isn't necessary, we don't recommend using one. It is extremely rare to see a parent-installed locking clip properly used at seat checks, IME.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC