Question Need new car seat - 3 across Mizubishi Mirage

nic060810

Hi. I hoping for some help figuring out a new (affordable) car seat for my small car, a 2000 Mitizubishi Mirage (the back seat is about the size of a Toyota Corolla of the same year). Currently I have (in order from passenger to driver side) a Combi Coccoro (convertible-16"W), Evenflo Embrace (infant seat-18"W), and Evenflo Chase (FF only-17"W). They are a pretty tight fit door to door, but I have a little room (maybe 1-2 inches?), however the two outboard positions have padding on either side to form a "bucket" in the upholstry which tends to force the seats inward (the seats aren't tilted, they just can't really sit on the padding - they slide into the center of the seat during install).

My 2.5yr old (28lbs, 32in) is in the Coccoro, my 11 mo (21lbs, can't recall height but he's tall for his age) is in the Embrace, and my 4.5y old (~35lbs-ish) in the Chase.

Baby is outgrowing his Embrace so I plan to move him to the Coccoro as soon as I can figure out another solution for my other two kids. I already know that I can't use a booster (no harness) for my 4.5y old. It's nearly impossible for me to reach the buckle & I'd rather he buckle himself (he can buckle his own harness) since I have to wrangle 2 other kids. So I'm thinking about upgrading the Chase to something that has a higher harness weight range and putting the 2.5y old in the Chase. I can't afford a Radian, otherwise I'd go for that. My budget is under $100 if possible, but I might be willing to go a little higher, but no more than $150. I also need something I can buy locally (Target or Walmart or Babies R Us).

Thanks in advance.

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Can you get us torso heights on the kids? (Sit them "criss-cross" cross legged against a wall. Measure from floor to top of shoulders.)

This will help us determine what seats will fit your child best.

Would you be against Rear Facing the 2 year old? It may make picking seats easier. Rear facing is up to 5 times (500%) safer than FF for children ages 1-3 or 4. The AAP has been recommending since 2002 that you RF to the upper limits of your RF convertible seat. Your 11 month old should be RF for a long time to come :)

I think if you want to FF the 2 year old in the Chase, the baby can take the Coccoro, and an Evenflo Maestro ($80 or so) may work for the 4 year old. You can buy the Maestro at Target, Burlington Coat Factory and I *think* at Toys R Us.

If you want to RF the 2 year old, a Cosco Scenera ($50) may work, depending on torso height :)

nic060810

I can't get measurments of the kids until later this afternoon (at work), but I'll try to (if they cooperate. My 2 & 4yr olds are on the smaller/shorter side of their age range. The baby is on the bigger/taller side.

I think I'll have to keep the 2 yr old FF. I had him RF until after his 2nd birthday, but turned him around to get a better fit for the infant seat (i.e., make it easier to get in/out). I don't think he'll like getting turned back around. Plus I can only buy one seat - and I'm pushing it with that (DH doesn't want to buy more carseats, especially since the ones we have aren't expired).

I'll check out the Maestro. It sounds like a good option. My biggest concern is making sure they all fit. Is the widest part of the Maestro

nic060810

I took kids' torso measurements as best I could. 11mo - 12 inches; 2 yr old - 13 inches; 4 yr old 14 inches

I also took the infant seat out and put the coccoro in the center (where I want it). As best I can tell, I have at least enough room for another seat about the size of the Chase and perhaps up to 2-3 inches wider. I still want a seat to harness over 40lbs. I also looked at the Maestro and it looked like a good fit, but I wouldn't mind other options to compare (if there are any).

HayleyCPST

I have a hard time visualizing you getting the embrace, CCO and chase across your back seat. Is yours the 2 door? What year?

If I remember correctly, the embrace is incompatible with the mirage (from a check I did once) because the handle has to be in the back position and 1.5" away from the front seat. Are you doing this in your car for the time being?

I'd stick the baby in the CCO center and then get a Maestro or a Nautilus for the 4 yr old. The 2 yr old can either rear face (which I highly recommend) in a convertible seat like a myride or radian. The other choice is to keep the 2 yr old FF in the chase.

Just wondering, is there a reason why you don't want to order online? Most places have codes you can use for a great deal and free shipping usually.

nic060810

I have a 4 door sedan type mirage (2000). I haven't had much trouble with the embrace. We used that kind with all three during the infant stage. I wanted a different infant seat, but DH wanted the same kind we had with oldest so it would fit the stroller.

The reason for not ordering online is I'd like to get the new seat in the next couple days. My baby really is too big for the infant seat (height) and I don't have any other options right now for him & the other two. Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem ordering online (which is easier in some ways).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC