Center lap belt safety

Paperdragon

Hi,

Does anyone know a way to make a center rear seat that has only a lap belt and no possiblity for LATCH (already being used in outboard seats) safe for when we have guests 40+lbs? It is the back of a Honda CR-V 1996 and we have two Britax Regents in the outboard seats (they won't fit next to each other).

Thanks!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If anyone actually fits in that space, I assume the person is a small child -- in which case I would use a Ride Safer Travel Vest with top tether anchor....

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I agree with Tiffany a Safe Rider Vest would work for a child but you would need a top tether anchor in that postition. If the child is tall you would all need a headrest in this seating position.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
That's the kicker. There is no top tether for the center seat. The outboard top tethers are being used for the two outboard seats....

Anyone have the LATCH manual handy? Is it possible to have a tether anchor installed in the center position?

UlrikeDG

The '96 CR-V does not have LATCH. It has seatbelts and may have top tethers (if they're not standard, you can have them installed). If you've installed the seats using LATCH, the "anchors" you're using are not designed for that purpose and the installation could fail in a crash. You'll need to undo it and reinstall the seats using the seatbelt and top tether.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Center tether part number is 82410SE3C01. Anchor point number and type:
(2) 8mm weld nuts in ceiling near rear window.

UlrikeDG

Thanks, Judi!

To the OP, the anchor kit is usually pretty cheap, but Honda does charge labor for installation, which can really up the price. Some installations are quite simple, though, so you could possibly install it yourself.

Paperdragon

Yes, thank-you everyone! I have purchased two top tether parts. If I'm reading the instructions correctly, I only have anchor points for the outboard seats, which means no guests, I guess. All of the harnesses require a top tether. There was one that had a "mobile mount" that seemed to clip around the back of the back seat, but I'm sure they meant that for buses not car seat backs.

UlrikeDG

According to the LATCH manual, there is a top tether point for the center seat as well. Have you checked your vehicle manual?

Paperdragon

You're kidding? I've got to find it. In the ceiling I see only the two behind the outboard seats. I thought there were only d-rings in the floor. I'm looking again. Thank-you!!!!!!!!

UlrikeDG

Hmmm. According to Judi's post, there is a part number for the center, but there are only 2 tether locations. Not sure what that means.

Paperdragon

Thanks again, everyone. The dealer sold me two top tether parts with the same itme number Judi listed as the center tether. Is it a different number for the outboard tethers? Darned if I can get them in those little holes.....:confused:

Thanks again...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC