Radian woes

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I finally decided and purchased a new 2010 version Radian XT for dd#2. We have a 2009 radian so I knew it would fit well in both of our vehicles(2005 Hyundai Tuscon and 2007 Hyundai Entourage).

Well I have had the seat for just over a week in the van and it seems to be loosening when dd is in the seat. And these are just short rides. The reason I checked it was because the seat was slightly crooked when I looked back at dd in the seat. So when she got out I tightened it again. And then again today after driving around with her it was crooked again! It isn't really loose but I am able to tighten it a bit each time. This never happens with the older UAS strap.

And also, I can't seem to get it as upright as I can with the older version. It is much tougher to tighten.

I haven't tried it in the Tuscon yet but I will once this torrential wind storm stops pounding us!

ADS

amyd

Yeah, the new UAS straps don't work as well in every vehicle because of the angle of how the tilt lock clip lays. I'd be inclined to call SKJP and ask if they'd send you an old style belt for it.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Yeah, the new UAS straps don't work as well in every vehicle because of the angle of how the tilt lock clip lays. I'd be inclined to call SKJP and ask if they'd send you an old style belt for it.

I think this is the case. I went out for an hour this morning and uninstalled and reinstalled. The older style UAS has the tightening mechanism flat on the seat edge. The newer style is not flat when I tighten it as much as I can. The seat tips to that side when dd gets out and then it will be laying flat but the seat is crooked. Not a lot but some. And it slightly loosens it. I am wondering if in the SUV it won't be as much of an issue since the UAS are buried more than the van.

And I just can't get it as upright which is no huge deal but dd leans forward and I think she likes to be more upright.

And if I get the older style strap then it defeats the purpose of the added limit. Why did they have to change a good thing!? :thumbsdown:Wishing I jumped on the MR deal now.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Please report it to SKJP, and don't believe them if they say it's the first problem like it they've heard. They can send you an older-style LATCH strap, but you're right, it has the regular weight limitations that the SuperLATCH belts are supposed to have. Until then, are you able to get a snug install with the vehicle belt? I wouldn't trust that SuperLATCH strap to hold in a crash.

ETA: Oh, and NHTSA... please report the problem to NHTSA as well.
ETA2: Oops, you're in Canada, so Transport Canada should be the one to hear about it, IIRC.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Ugh! I have such a sick feeling in my stomach right now. I will call tomorrow. I don't know if it is the same issue since I haven't had as extensive loosening issues. Or if it is just incompatible with my vehicle. We haven't used it for long drives yet.

Yes I can get a good seat belt install. Sigh...guess I will have to change it over.

Mae

I'm the one who posted the video in that other thread. ;)

It doesn't matter if your seat is loosening a crazy amount like mine was, or if it loosens just a bit to be considered unacceptable (more than one inch, in any direction).

Absolutely report it to both Sunshine Kids and Transport Canada.

And unfortunately, yes. If they send you an older style LATCH strap, you will have to discontinue using LATCH at the weight limit of your car; you can not use LATCH to the full limits of the Radian. You can always just use the seat belt though! There's no limit on that! :)

Mingie

CPST Instructor
So this morning I took my new radian out to the Tuscon to try it out in that vehicle. It installs really nicely. The UAS tightens easily and the tightening mechanism is flat against the seat unlike the van. I also can get it very upright in this vehicle. So it will stay in this vehicle now and I will use the older radian in the van since this UAS strap seems to be more compatible with the seat.

So I think that the slight loosening in the van is the new UAS strap in incompatible with this vehicle. I was hoping to use it in the van as we drive it much more often but it isn't something that is a must for us. I will re-evaluate things when dd hits 35lbs but I doubt that will happen until closer to 4 yrs of age so it may be a moot point anyways.

butterfly_mommy

I have been having the same problem with my XT. The crazy thing is that it was rock solid for like 8 mons and then it started to get lose occasionally. I reported it to SK but not Transport Canada yet. SK got back to me to ask for the serial, model # and DOM but haven't heard back since and they did not say to stop using it.

Now I am also having a problem with the boot. One of the Toes is damaged it has white stress marks and it is warped. I am now afraid to use the latch and the foot. I will be installing my seat forward facing with the seatbelt until I hear back from SK. This really sucks :thumbsdown:

tam_shops

I didn't think they had the SL straps here in Canada.

Thought, the ones that are causing the problems are burgundy?

Just got my XT, have not had a problem. My strap is black. I didn't see anything on the SKJP Canadian site that says anything about the strap being SL. Or did I miss it?

tam

butterfly_mommy

My strap is burgundy. Are people having loosening problems with the black straps? I am really disappointed as I have been singing the praises of my Radians for years. :(

tam_shops

Mae, THANKS! I have to go outside to look now, read the black vs burgundy & thought I just had the old style. Kind of liked that thought since then I didn't have to worry about it loosening on me! Our RN was made in the summer, it has the wings, so I'm guessing we have the SL version. I did notice that it was WAY easier to install than my MA or SS latch...

I think they should have left all the SL straps burgundy! So much easier!

tam

dragonfly8

I have a RN65 2010 that came with SL.
Not sure what color they are, I want to say burgundy but without looking, can't be 100% sure.

So if the RN65 doesn't usually have the SL, how did I get it?

I don't use it anyway, my car is old school and only has seat belts:thumbsdown:

Mae

Are people having loosening problems with the black straps?

It's both. As far as I know, both straps are the same thing, just different coloring. I'd have to go upstairs and then outside to confirm that, but I'll take a pass, as it's snowing. ;)

I think they should have left all the SL straps burgundy! So much easier!

I know, right? :rolleyes:

Not sure what color they are, I want to say burgundy but without looking, can't be 100% sure.

Oh, I may have been mistaken then. I admit that I'm not 100% up to date on the Canadian seats, and that is just what I pulled from a previous thread. My apologies!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

All of the 2010 Radian's in Canada have SL straps. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC