Adjusting Straps with Thin Fleece Jacket

cat mommy

The kids wear thin fleece jackets in the car seats. Both kids seem to have grown a bit and I need to adjust the harnesses. Can I do this while they are wearing their thin fleeces, or do I need to strip them down to their shirts. It is really really cold here so it would be nice to be able to leave the fleeces on, if that is equally safe.

ADS

Mommy0608

Thin fleece is fine. :) We discourage thick/bulky/puffy outerwear because it can compress in a crash leaving a seemingly tight harness with too much slack. Fleece is a dense material without much room for compression. I am perfectly comfortable with adjusting a harness accordingly when my kids are wearing a sweater and/or fleece jacket. I actually loosen and tighten the harnesses daily with my kids, but I know a lot of people don't. Just a personal preference.

NannyMom

I'm fine with loosening my daughter's harness for a fleece. As long as it fits well. She has a Columbia fleece that is flexible, and fits her tighter. She also has a Lands End fleece that seems stiffer, and is waay loose. I think it really affects how tight the harness can get. For the LE, I always do the "coat trick", but for the Columbia, I buckle her with the fleece on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC