Question Problems with Evenflo Generations (for a friend)

dogmelissa

Posting here to see if anyone has any suggestions. My friend needs help - she is in Ottawa. I'm not sure if there is a booster law in Ontario or simply a 'proper use' law that would affect her, but her son just turned 3 and may need a booster. (Is this legal?)

Quoting posts from my friend on CanadianParents.com:

"I've posted before about Nelson's carseat. We have the Evenflo Generations 65. I think we may have to start booster training him. We're really starting to have difficulty with the straps, they really don't seem long enough. We're having a hard time getting him in and out of his seat. But maybe there's just a hitch in the back?? I'm thinking maybe I"ll just uninstall his seat and play with the straps. It's just that when we first got it it was much easier to do the adjustments but now I find it very difficult to tighten/loosen his straps. I know that he's grown a significant amount since we put him in this seat 8mths ago but I'm not sure what else to do!"

"So I took Nelson's seat out of the car to have a look. The problem is the seams at the end of the straps are getting stuck because they're coming through the cover. The only way to get them back through is to pull on them from the back side of the seat (when he is in it) which really isn't an option when the seat is installed. I tried making sure the straps weren't pulled through but then you can't do them up as there isn't enough length. I also haven't been able to find longer straps so we had to switch him over to the booster seat. I'm really not happy with that but there isn't anything else I can do. He's very excited about being in the seat with the big boy seat belt and he did wonderfully, he doesn't move.
What frustrates me most though is that how can this seat fit a child who actually is almost 65lbs?? Nelson's 54lbs and the harness straps are too short!"

"sadly I know that the Nautilus isn't any better for him as that's the seat that my sister has and he's been in it."

She is unable to post pictures of the problem as Nelson has wrecked her camera. :(

Any advice for her? (I have linked this post in her other post so she will read and maybe reply herself.)

TIA,
Melissa

ADS

amyd

It's legal, but not really safe for a 3 year old to be in a booster due to maturity (unless the booster manufacturer states minimum of 4 years & 40lbs, which some do. I'm pretty sure Ontario has a proper use clause). What about the Safety First Apex? It's a pretty big seat, harnesses to 65lbs, and fairly inexpensive.

I believe there's quite a few techs in Ottawa and some are on here. Perhaps this mom could meet with someone to have her current seat checked first.

ETA- nutritionistmom is a tech in Ottawa, I believe, as is Allport (Barb Baines from TC). I'm sure you could contact either of them to find out when the next clinic is there.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is there any chance she's using a coat in the seat? If he's below the top slots in the generations 65 then he should have enough straps - I think this is the first I've heard of short straps on the Generations.

The nautilus seems like it doesn't have enough harness, but when the straps are set to the right height it's fine too. Probably just barely enough for a 65lb kid (assuming they still fit by height,) but should fit most. My daughter is 50lbs, almost outgrown the nautilus harness by height, and still has a good 8?" - possibly more, adjuster strap at the front of the seat when the harness is tightened.

So I'm wondering if bulky clothing may be an issue? Or if the straps are the right height? If the straps were coming out below the shoulders I could easily see this being an issue. The top harness height on the generations is about 16" or so, so it's unlikely that he would've outgrown the seat by height, but I suppose it's possible...

LittlePeanut

Is the Generations a no-rethread harness? I don't think it is but I'm uncertain. If it has to be rethreaded for each harness height, ask her ti ensure it's on the correct side of the tether strap. I've seen this (and done it before myself) and the traps were impossible to tighten properly and would not loosen to their full length.

snowbird - She said he wears a light hoodie over a t-shirt or a nylon coat, nothing puffy.

Nelson is an exceptionally big boy for his age. Not in height but weight and bulk.

tiggercat

I'm in Ottawa, and http://www.seatsforkidscanada.com/ has info on the next clinics in the area (looks like the next one is Nov 13th). I'd be happy to help, if needed.
I also have a Nauti and it fits my tall 50lb 5 yr old with harness to spare. That seat gains harness length as you move the straps to higher slots.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is the Generations a no-rethread harness? I don't think it is but I'm uncertain. If it has to be rethreaded for each harness height, ask her ti ensure it's on the correct side of the tether strap. I've seen this (and done it before myself) and the traps were impossible to tighten properly and would not loosen to their full length.

snowbird - She said he wears a light hoodie over a t-shirt or a nylon coat, nothing puffy.

Nelson is an exceptionally big boy for his age. Not in height but weight and bulk.

You have to re-thread the harness when you change the height. The cover sometimes shifts so I suppose it's possible the straps got put through different holes in the cover and the shell making it confusing there? The tether is in the center (middle width-wise) and wouldn't be possible to tangle the straps around the tether when re-threading it. Not without some really creative effort anyways. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC