Craigslist idea

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
With us having people from all over, I started think of how we could nipp these car seat sales in the bud, but I need help. When you post on craigslist, it lasts between 30-45 days, depending on area. If we post something about car seat safety, the dangers of old car seats and car seats missing parts. State that we are here to help. State we will pick up these dangerous seats and use them for training or destroy them, it may take a few off the market. Also it can get people thinking that might have an old seat sitting in their garage!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Are you suggesting that we each post something about carseat safety on our local Craigslist? Just like an "FYI?"

R&J'sMom

It's a great idea, but it will more than likely get flagged. In Phoenix, anything that is considered "discussion" gets flagged by the other craigslist users and removed.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I named mine "Are you thinking of getting rid of your car seat". I posted it under baby/kid.

It says:

Did you know that car seats expired? After 6 years, the car seat can fail in the crash, killing the child! Also, car seat straps have to be had washed, not washed in the washer. Straps that have been washed in a washer can not withstand the forces of a crash like ones that have been had washed. Do you have an old seat, or a seat missing parts, or one that one do not know the background for? Please consider letting me pick it up. I am a car seat technician, yes there is such a thing. I have got through over 40 hours of training and install car seats for a non profit. If you give the seat to me, I will use it as a training seat for the non profit. When we are done with it, we will properly dispose of it. It will never be used for a child in a car.

Thank you in advance.

I did this at about 10 this morning. I have already gotten emails. I will be picking up four car seat, ranging from five years old and up!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Me too! One lady was given an infant seat that has gone through 4 kids, straps have been washed. She didn't want to use it. Another has two toddler car seats, moldy. Another has an infant car seat that is 6-7 years old!

:D :D

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
As of this morning, still not flagged down. Even if it does get flagged, I still got 4 off the market in less than a day! I will take pcitures when I pick them up, if anyone is interested.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I haven't decided on how they will die yet. They may live a little longer as training seats, an then, BAM! Maybe I will take some to the fire department and use the jaws of life cutter on their sorry little frames. Of course we are burning a house down soon, maybe they will go by fire.

Hee hee hee :question:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I did contact one person that was too far away with a nice Fisher Price booster that was ten years old. She said she feels I know my stuff and will be taking it to the dump. I gave her this site as reference, along with others.

southpawboston

Of course we are burning a house down soon, maybe they will go by fire.

please, don't. do you know how toxic the fumes from burning plastic are? i know that a burning house has plenty of plastic already that is getting burned, but a carseat would just add to it unnecessarily.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I named mine "Are you thinking of getting rid of your car seat". I posted it under baby/kid.

It says:

Did you know that car seats expired? After 6 years, the car seat can fail in the crash, killing the child! [All seats are marked with a sticker stating the date it was made. Newer seats have a "do not use after" date stamp on the back of the seat.] Also, car seat straps have to be hand washed, not washed in the washer. Straps that have been washed in a washer can not withstand the forces of a crash like ones that have been hand washed.

Do you have an old seat, or a seat missing parts, or one that you do not know the background for? Please consider letting me pick it up. I am a car seat technician, yes, there is such a thing. I have over 40 hours of training and install car seats for a non profit agency. I will use it to help train parents and new technicians. It will then be disposed of properly. It will never be used as a child restraint.

Thank you in advance.

I did this at about 10 this morning. I have already gotten emails. I will be picking up four car seat, ranging from five years old and up!

Great Judi!

Now for a bit more credibility, you might want to run a grammar/spell check (I know I'm not great that proof reading my posts, but it will help your message get out there.)

Jewels

Senior Community Member

It says:

Did you know that car seats expired? After 6 years, the car seat can fail in the crash, killing the child! Also, car seat straps have to be had washed, not washed in the washer. Straps that have been washed in a washer can not withstand the forces of a crash like ones that have been had washed. Do you have an old seat, or a seat missing parts, or one that one do not know the background for? Please consider letting me pick it up. I am a car seat technician, yes there is such a thing. I have got through over 40 hours of training and install car seats for a non profit. If you give the seat to me, I will use it as a training seat for the non profit. When we are done with it, we will properly dispose of it. It will never be used for a child in a car.

Thank you in advance.

Okay, I copied this but made a few changes and I keep getting flagged and deleted. Tonight I got this email:

Hi, this is the 3rd time I have seen this posted in a forum intended for buying & selling. Though your concerns are valid, I think they are best suited in a discussion forum.

Most of the people on CL are Mothers, and therefore are pretty well informed about the items they put their babies in. It is almost stated in such a way that you are the only one who knows this valuable piece of info, and that is just not the case.

The ones who are not informed about carseats, have now had the opportunity to read this for a few days, and I am sure your point has been made.

Enough already this is not appropriate as it is not something you are buying or selling and that is what this is for.

Thanks and have a nice night.
I am sure you will be back in full force in coming days.
XXXX

So apparently I have informed people enough, yet there are still expired evenflo joy rides and century seats being listed :rolleyes:

My listing has now been removed! I have not been able to get it to stay up for longer then 20min. at a time, and that is in the later evening too :rolleyes:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes, I did fix my listing. I had already done most, but missed the youThanks!

I still have not been deleted. All car seats that have been listed after my post are newer and state needed info! Dang, I thought Canadians were nice! Poor Jewels, poor moms that your were trying to help!

My husband picked up a ten year old Gerry OH CS with the book and hangtag at a car seat clinic this week. He is so proud of it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC