I'm thankful for my own trials

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
This will be long. If anyone wants to help, that would be great!

Here goes:
A very close friend came over last night to see if I still have my infant car seat (I do but I've promised it to someone). She just found out she is getting custody of her sister's kids (well, 3 of them). She is getting an 11yo, 6yo, and a newborn (who is currently in the NICU detoxing from Meth and who knows what else).
A: 18
A: 17
K: 15
B: 13
J: 11
J: 6
H: 3
S: 19mo
J: Newborn
They don't have a car big enough so will have to take 2 cars anywhere. They have a total of 5 bedrooms, 1 is also her office (she works from home).
She has seats for the 19mo and 3yo (her kids). I gave her a HBB for the 6yo. She may be able to get the baby stuff back that she used with her 19mo but maybe not.
The only baby things she currently has are:
bassinet
a few clothes but not much
bottles (she's hoping to BF, she just quit with her 19mo about a month ago and is not dried up yet; I gave her my fenugreek & Mom's Milk and she is going to start pumping and also can borrow my SNS).
play pen
crib (the 19mo is currently in it but climbs out)

Does anyone have any clothes, a crib tent, or an infant car seat they might be able to spare or sell me super cheap (I can certainly pay shipping if you aren't local)? She also thinks she's going to need those hand mits, she says drug babies tend to scratch their faces. I don't know if I still have mine, I've never used them.
I want to help her out but I hardly have any girl clothes left and like I said, my car seat is promised to someone else.

This makes me very glad I have my own set of trials, I don't know if I could handle hers. Her oldest son died from an overdose 6 months ago. He dh is out of work on fmla due to a knee injury (torn maniscus and acl), she is going in for an injection to treat a herniated disc in her neck today, and now all this with her sister. There are actually 4 kids that are being taken, she is not taking the 14mo. That would just be too much so he will go to another aunt that just lives 2 streets away.

ADS

aeormsby

P&PT to your friend! I don't have any infant stuff left or I would send it along to you. A side note about the Meth - a friend of mine is a pediatric OT and works with quite a few kids in the foster care system who were exposed to various things inutero and she says the meth babies seem to be some of the least affected by the crap their mothers did (compared to other drug exposures).

celtic1885

pm me please. I have an Evenflo infant seat w/2 bases (not the most popular but it works ;) ), and I believe a bunch of infant girls clothes (not sure if I got rid of all them,I'm at the office.)

What about seats for the older ones?

crunchierthanthou

I have a basically new Safety 1st Designer 22. It's blue with Pooh. I loaned it to a neighbor for a week, but that's all it's been used. The base requires noodles/towels, the front adjuster is kind of a joke, and it's a puzzle buckle. Then there's the whole Canadian recall thing... but you can have it for shipping. ;) If only we were still in the same state or dh had a trip coming up.

eta: it's this one and Pooh is only on the headrest - http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/disney-pooh-adventures-infant-car-seat-reviews

oh, and are the 3 yo and newborn boy or girl?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
She has seats for the 3yo & 1yo, they are hers (GN & MR). I gave her my Big Kid Deluxe for the 6yo (who has almost never sat in anything). The other 1yo that is going to a different family probably has nothing as well. They have only a 13yo dd.

So the kids I am trying to help are really the 1yo boy, I know he's 27 lbs and in a 12mo now. We do have at least some clothes for him that my son is using but will outgrow about the time they need them.

And the baby is a girl, she's 7 1/2 pounds (somewhere in there, I know over 7) so not too tiny.

I'll be PMing those who've offered. I really appreciate the offers. I just want to help with what I can and I don't want to see a seat from craigslist due to lack of money.

stephie1012

i think i may have 2 pairs of mits brand new and some girls clothes that julia has outgrown. i'll put whatever i can fit in a flat rate box and should be able to ship it tomorrow. I assume the baby will need warm clothes not summery stuff right?
Can you PM me an address?

Jonah Baby

I'm a clothes hoarder, so bear with me, but I can probably help.
I think I have stuff for the 1 year old and 3 year old if needed. I'm pretty sure all my little things scream BOY/are not accessible/or would be spring/summer stuff anyway. I just filled several contractor bags destined for Goodwill.
Let me know sizes and seasons?
Are we cloth diapering? I can pass some goodies along.
Does she need any Medela pump parts? Steam bags?
You're probably too far, but I'd give you our Sit n Stand stroller if not.

Send her some love from us. To take in those poor babies, and hope to breastfeed too!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I am SO thankful for all the offers! I have PM'd all of you so far (I think I got everyone).

She was finally able to go see and hold the baby last night (she had to get special permission with NICU). It looks like the baby will be coming home in about 2 weeks so at least not today.

Thanks again and let me know on the things we've been talking about.
You guys are wonderful!

wyomommyx3

What else does she still need? And I know somebody asked it before, but I didn't see an answer... Is she using cloth or disposable diapers??

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
She uses disposable diapers. I know she has a Medela PIS and has used the Playtex bottles with liners (I'm pretty sure she still has them). She's really hoping to BF, she, like myself, HATES bottles, it's much easier to BF.
I will ask her today if she has come up with a list for me yet and post it as soon as I get it.

Thank you ALL!
And THANK YOU Stephie! You are fast!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I just talked to her and so far she knows she needs the following:

Newborn sleepers (she likes the sack type, elastic or zippered) for the girl but I'm sure any color(s) would be fine. Footed would be fine too.
Onsies, newborn up to 6-9 months (she has bigger that her dd has just outgrown)

Coats for the boys, size 5-6 and size 12 as well as snowpants and boots (size 11 & 4)
Socks for the boys, age 6 (shoe probably sie 11), and age 11 (shoes probably size 4)

diapers, crib tent, bottles (I think she may do either Avent or Playtex), burp rags, towels, pack n play sheets (the baby will sleep in the pack n play for now)

She did borrow some clothes but has not gone through them yet. I'm supposed to get with her again later this week to see what exactly she needs.

I'm going to go tomorrow to get the dressers she needs (surprise to her) or at least 2 of them. Then she can focus on getting beds for the boys.

The baby will stay at least 2 more weeks in NICU, they want to detox her very slowly so at least we have some time.
I will keep updating as I know more. Thanks again for all the generous offers. I tear up every time I read more of your offers!

stephie1012

you should have gotten my box today. I can send more onesies if needed...DH told MIL i needed one piece outfits for Julia and she bought onesies, seriously i never saw so many onsesies before lol. just lmk.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I did get your box. Thank you! I will let you know on the onsies. I know she'll be thrilled with all of it but especially the sleepers!
Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC