Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Kia Sedona?

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Kia Sedona?

So I thought I was all set to get a 99-01 Windstar, but then found an 02 Sedona in my price range. I read a bit on Edmunds.com and kind of liked what I read...so now I'm confused. I don't think the Sedona gets as good of crash scores from IIHS.

What do you all think?
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Kia Sedona?

Hmmm...I know that the current model year gets rave reviews, but you're right--I'm not so sure about 2002 model. I just glanced at it--how does it compare to the Windstar's rating in the year you're looking at? Also, when did Kia institute the 100000 mile warranty? (Although I am assuming the 2002 would have more than 100000 miles, but then, my car is 3 years old and I have 35000 on it...)
    My neighbors have a new Sedona and love it. We had one as a rental last year and it was ok--I'm not a huge fan of minivans, but it was ok. It was GIGANTIC inside! LOL--it seemed as though you could camp out in that thing!
    The Groovymom, Mom to DS v1.0 in a seatbelt and DS v2.0, in the Monterrey

Carseat Crazy

It's my understanding that the 02 Sedonas are very different from the newer models, safety wise. I was so excited to see an 05 Kia Sedona for $15,000, but then read up on the safety features and decided it wasn't worth it. The buzz on the newer models is hot so it's easy to get excited, but you're talking 2 different birds. At least that's my impression and the decision I made, but I don't know anything about Windstars.

CPS Fanatic

yes, there's no comparison between the 02 and 06 sedonas... completely different animals, and the pre-06's had major reliability problems. and the 100,000 mie powertrain warranties were only for the original owners... second hand buyers forfeit it.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.